World of Pageantry
http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/

College football
http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15179
Page 1 of 7

Author:  seanrj [ Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:51 pm ]
Post subject:  College football

A week late, but...

It's back and it's awesome! I prefer college to the NFL. Every week is a matter of survival in college, anyone can win or lose at any time. Although it causes me a great deal of internal conflict, the victory of ucla over tennessee is a PERFECT example of why college football is superior.

That, and USC looks like they have an incredible team this year.

Who are you rooting for?

Fight On!

Author:  senza cervello [ Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

GO BEAVER FOOTBALL! UNDEFEATED SINCE 1993 :yeah:


Secant, cosine, tangent, sine

Logarithm, logarithm,

Hyperbolic sine

3 point 1 4 1 5 9

Slipstick, sliderule

TECH, TECH, TECH.

Author:  tSz42 [ Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

senza cervello wrote:
GO BEAVER FOOTBALL! UNDEFEATED SINCE 1993 :yeah:


didn't they lose their first two games of this season already?

Author:  Hostrauser [ Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

tSz42 wrote:
senza cervello wrote:
GO BEAVER FOOTBALL! UNDEFEATED SINCE 1993 :yeah:


didn't they lose their first two games of this season already?

Hint: he's not talking about Oregon State.

I, too, prefer college over the pros. The wife graduated from USC, so of course that's who I root for. My dad went to San Diego State, so I'm also (unfortunately) a die-hard Aztec fan.

Author:  seanrj [ Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

SDSU almost had notre dame. I could have sworn that I saw the ball cross the line BEFORE the hit that knocked it loose. Being down 2 TDs would have changed the game for nd.

Unfortunately the "luck of the irish" includes those highly questionable calls at home. Trust me, I have been there for a few of those.

Author:  The Aceman [ Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

I'm a University of Utah fan. But speaking of football in Utah... 15th Ranked BYU is on a 12 game winning streak, the nation’s longest win streak. They have a home game coming up against UCLA on the 13th. And then the rest of their schedule is pretty much smooth sailing until the last game against their in-state rival U. of Utah, an away game, so if they can get past UCLA they may go the whole season undefeated.

Author:  Chapagne [ Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

I think BYU needs to beef up its non-conference schedule, play some teams from the east...besides Northern Iowa. They probably will run the table unless UCLA keep their offense going. Strength of schedule matters. One could argue that schedules are set years in advance, but UCLA and Washington haven't been that good in a while.

In the streak, they haven't beat any team that finished higher than #32 in the final poll of the season and eight of the teams didn't even get a single vote. Washington is a shadow of its former self and it took a silly penalty to win that game.

Author:  Nreuest [ Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

My school: Texas!

Although I'm staying in SD for a year at least...

Author:  The Aceman [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

Chapagne wrote:
I think BYU needs to beef up its non-conference schedule, play some teams from the east...besides Northern Iowa. They probably will run the table unless UCLA keep their offense going. Strength of schedule matters. One could argue that schedules are set years in advance, but UCLA and Washington haven't been that good in a while.

In the streak, they haven't beat any team that finished higher than #32 in the final poll of the season and eight of the teams didn't even get a single vote. Washington is a shadow of its former self and it took a silly penalty to win that game.


Whether the call in that game was bad or not. The penalty really shouldn't have been much of a factor. A 35 yard field goal is still pretty much a chip-in and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have blocked the field goal anyways. The fact of the matter is that BYU came up with a big play when it counted and won the game.

Author:  Hostrauser [ Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

The Aceman wrote:
Whether the call in that game was bad or not. The penalty really shouldn't have been much of a factor. A 35 yard field goal is still pretty much a chip-in and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have blocked the field goal anyways. The fact of the matter is that BYU came up with a big play when it counted and won the game.

Yes, against a vastly inferior opponent they should have beaten by two touchdowns. BYU was about as impressive as Ohio State.

BYU finishes the season with at least two losses. I'll go on record right now.

Author:  jacjar1 [ Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

Chapagne wrote:
I think BYU needs to beef up its non-conference schedule, play some teams from the east...besides Northern Iowa. They probably will run the table unless UCLA keep their offense going. Strength of schedule matters. One could argue that schedules are set years in advance, but UCLA and Washington haven't been that good in a while.

In the streak, they haven't beat any team that finished higher than #32 in the final poll of the season and eight of the teams didn't even get a single vote. Washington is a shadow of its former self and it took a silly penalty to win that game.


Whats wrong with beating up on tomato cans? Thats how Ohio State lost its best player....Even Fresno State plays a tougher schedule than BYU, ND,OSU and Oaklahoma.

If you want to talk about records...look at big ball pete's record..NUFF SAID.
http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carroll_pete00.html

USC is 35 and 1 at home and has not lost a non conference game at home since 2001....

Author:  Hostrauser [ Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

Not only that, but the PAC-10 (not just USC) is perennially the BCS conference with the FEWEST games against FCS (I-AA) opponents.

Easy to make a bunch of championship games when you're playing the likes of Youngstown State, right Buckeyes?

If fact, I seem to recall that USC is one of only eight or ten schools to have NEVER played a I-AA/FCS opponent.

Author:  Chapagne [ Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

The cupcake issue was covered quite well on espn.com recently:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=formidable/080905
USC is #2 and UCLA #4 on the list of tough schedulers of the last decade. Five teams from the mighty SEC are in the top ten of biggest cupcake schedulers. Check the side bar for more pages on the topic.

Quote:
If you want to talk about records...look at big ball pete's record..NUFF SAID.

Big Ball Pete? Ah...the SC Band is such a classy organiziation. Do they still completely dehumanize their freshmen to earn their devotion in the least mature way possible?

Yes, yes. USC is doing very nicely recently. I see tees and caps at my school every day. Funny, I don't remember seeing any in the 90's. One thing I can't stand about L.A. is how the fans come out of the woodwork to extol whoever is winning. It's Bandwagontown, USA. I remember seeing a poll when the Chicago Bulls were winning that listed them ahead of the Lakers in L.A. popularity. I wonder where all those Bulls fans are now? I beat they were rooting for the Lakers last year...after the All-Star break of course, when they started climbing.

Author:  The Aceman [ Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

Hostrauser wrote:
The Aceman wrote:
Whether the call in that game was bad or not. The penalty really shouldn't have been much of a factor. A 35 yard field goal is still pretty much a chip-in and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have blocked the field goal anyways. The fact of the matter is that BYU came up with a big play when it counted and won the game.

Yes, against a vastly inferior opponent they should have beaten by two touchdowns. BYU was about as impressive as Ohio State.

BYU finishes the season with at least two losses. I'll go on record right now.


Didn't happen to catch the UCLA vs. BYU game did you? A pretty much flawless performance by Max Hall, maybe he's the next Steve Young. And in case you did miss the game, it was a 59-0 BYU win. No that's not a typo, 59-0 was the actual score. BYU scored 5 touchdowns in the first half alone, and stopped UCLA from even scoring a field goal. Including (surprise surprise) a blocked field goal and recovery. Of course two blocked field goals in two games has nothing to do with BYU, but how bad their opponents are right? Didn't UCLA upset USC last year. Like I said before, I'm a Utah fan not a BYU fan, but being from Utah I'm sick of Utah Universities being ignored when it comes to football, they have some good things going on down there.

Author:  Hostrauser [ Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: College football

The Aceman wrote:
Didn't happen to catch the UCLA vs. BYU game did you?

Yeah, yeah, I caught it, don't go bustin' your arm patting yourself on the back. 59-0 is impressive, even if I thought UCLA was over-rated and am still trying to figure out how they beat Tennessee.

The Aceman wrote:
Didn't UCLA upset USC last year.

Nope, USC smoked UCLA 24-7. USC has won eight of the last nine in the series, including victory margins of 25, 27, 31, and 47.

The Aceman wrote:
Like I said before, I'm a Utah fan not a BYU fan, but being from Utah I'm sick of Utah Universities being ignored when it comes to football, they have some good things going on down there.

BYU under Lavell Edwards and Utah under Urban Meyer got respect when they earned it. The problem is when your schedule/conference perennially includes loser teams that can't beat I-AA schools, you HAVE to pound your non-conference opponents to make an impression. Same thing with the MAC, WAC (talk to Boise State and Hawaii about lack of respect), Sun Belt, etc.

BYU was impressive, no question. I'm not yet convinced they're BCS worthy, though. Not just yet.

Page 1 of 7 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/