College football

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: College football

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:48 am

I'm assuming you mean a BCS bowl game?

Won't the Utah/BYU game be on the MTN?

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Hostrauser wrote:I'm assuming you mean a BCS bowl game?

Won't the Utah/BYU game be on the MTN?
Yes A BCS Bowl game.

Yes it will be televised on the Mountain, which I don't think is a nationwide channel, if it is...I don't get it, and I don't know anyone who does.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:16 pm

The Aceman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:Won't the Utah/BYU game be on the MTN?
Yes it will be televised on the Mountain, which I don't think is a nationwide channel, if it is...I don't get it, and I don't know anyone who does.
I get it. Channel 320, Cox Cable San Diego. :nenr:

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:37 pm

Further proof there will be no change to the bowl system:
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... ref=sircrc
Notre Dame will get in a bowl game, even after losing to Syracuse today and...oh, I'll say it...SC next week. Even though the best teams they beat all year are 5-7 Stanford and 6-4 Navy.

Adding fuel to Aceman's argument. Here's the most overrated & underrated teams since 1989. However, the traditional powers don't benefit much on this list from a stellar year, if they're already picked to do well. It's the teams that do well that are under the radar at the beginning of the season that really shine on this chart.
http://preseason.stassen.com/over-under/all-teams.html
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:30 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:BYU finishes the season with at least two losses. I'll go on record right now.
TCU smoked BYU tonight, 32-7. 1 down, 1 to go.
Utah 48, BYU 24. Damn I'm good.

Once every seventeen tries or so...

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:40 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:BYU finishes the season with at least two losses. I'll go on record right now.
TCU smoked BYU tonight, 32-7. 1 down, 1 to go.
Utah 48, BYU 24. Damn I'm good.

Once every seventeen tries or so...
But that's okay, I wanted Utah to win all along, and they did, UNDEFEATED baby. Looks like Utah is headed to a BCS bowl.....

Oh and let me enlarge that small print for you.....lol, jk

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:55 am

The Aceman wrote:But that's okay, I wanted Utah to win all along, and they did, UNDEFEATED baby. Looks like Utah is headed to a BCS bowl...
Sugar Bowl, most likely. Will probably face the SEC Championship game loser (Alabama or Florida).

davis098

Post by davis098 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 pm

college football is by far more exciting than NFL the bowl games aer the pinnicle of excitement as well :nenr:

metalcorps
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by metalcorps » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:36 pm

is it crazy to think that college football would be a lot better off with a playoff system instead of the sham that is the BCS? idk just wondering

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 pm

metalcorps wrote:is it crazy to think that college football would be a lot better off with a playoff system instead of the sham that is the BCS? idk just wondering
Don't hold your breath, BCS isn't going anywhere very fast, maybe we'll see a playoff system in the next 10 or 15 years.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:43 am

metalcorps wrote:is it crazy to think that college football would be a lot better off with a playoff system instead of the sham that is the BCS? idk just wondering
Actually, in some ways it would be less exciting. Think of UCLA's 13-9 win over USC a couple years ago. USC had already won the Pac-10 either way. It was electrifying because it knocked USC out of the title game. Had there been a playoff, USC would have merely been a lower seed. No big deal...they may not have even played their starters for the whole game, saving them for the more important playoffs.

Witness the end of the NFL season with teams who have already wrapped up their playoff spot. Exciting stuff watching what get played like a to a pre-season game in December, right?

Same thing with OU-Texas Tech last weekend. Huge, huge, huge game, but with a playoff, it wouldn't really have mattered who won. They were both seeded high enough to make an 8-team playoff. In the NCAA, a single loss is a crushing defeat and it makes every game bigger.

The off-side is that we sometimes pay for that huge buildup with a less than satisfying finale, but there's no guarantee we would get one with a playoff either. How many Super Bowls are truly great games?

So what if we don't have the answer of who is REALLY number one? I'll take a few months of exciting over that.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:57 pm

SC game against ND tomorrow...

They are bringing their entire band to LA for the first time. It should be a great occasion.

That, and it could be Charlie's last game as head coach.
Sean Jenkins, M.M.Ed.
Director of Music
Magnolia JHS
Chino, CA

metalcorps
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by metalcorps » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm

ok, so it is a little bit more exciting, but it's hard to figure out what teams are eligible. it might as well be this: "well, in order for USC to make it to the national title game, texas and Texas tech have to win and oklahoma has to lose by 16 so mack brown(texas) and pete carroll (USC) could play rock, paper, scissors in order to see who faces the winner of the SEC championship game." exaggerated, yes, but still accurate.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:53 pm

ok, so it is a little bit more exciting, but it's hard to figure out what teams are eligible. it might as well be this: "well, in order for USC to make it to the national title game, texas and Texas tech have to win and oklahoma has to lose by 16 so mack brown(texas) and pete carroll (USC) could play rock, paper, scissors in order to see who faces the winner of the SEC championship game." exaggerated, yes, but still accurate.
Actually, it's very simple. Don't lose to inferior teams, especially when your conference is having a very bad year. :)

One thing that definitely needs to change is when the polls start. If you're not placed well in the preseason polls, it's hard to climb to the top. They should let several weeks of season go by before the first one.

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 pm

metalcorps wrote:ok, so it is a little bit more exciting, but it's hard to figure out what teams are eligible. it might as well be this: "well, in order for USC to make it to the national title game, texas and Texas tech have to win and oklahoma has to lose by 16 so mack brown(texas) and pete carroll (USC) could play rock, paper, scissors in order to see who faces the winner of the SEC championship game." exaggerated, yes, but still accurate.
More like rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock.........LOL :twisted: