World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:37 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:24 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Jsaxm wrote:
The Aceman wrote:
BGRtumpet wrote:
And are the Olympics meant to represent amateurs, or are they supposed to showcase the best athletes in the world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympics#A ... ssionalism

Well, I guess you can call me a traditionalist then, haha!

You and me both.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:31 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:58 pm
Posts: 3598
Location: Escondido, Ca
To me showcasing the best athletes not only intensifies the competition and forces other countries to raise the bar, but it's also much more marketable to todays audience. In order for the Olympics to stay alive and healthy they need to adapt to the times. Stick to much to tradition and it could be your undoing. Much like what is happening to a certain unnamed organization right now *cough* dci *cough*, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms aint it?

_________________
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:28 am
Posts: 437
Location: So Cal; Home of the Quake & the Wave
The Aceman wrote:
To me showcasing the best athletes not only intensifies the competition and forces other countries to raise the bar, but it's also much more marketable to todays audience. In order for the Olympics to stay alive and healthy they need to adapt to the times. Stick to much to tradition and it could be your undoing. Much like what is happening to a certain unnamed organization right now *cough* dci *cough*, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms aint it?


Tell us how you really feel, don't hold back, LOL......

_________________
Member: MENC, NAMM, NARAS, ASCAP, & AFM Local 47


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:27 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:24 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
JazzGeek wrote:
The Aceman wrote:
To me showcasing the best athletes not only intensifies the competition and forces other countries to raise the bar, but it's also much more marketable to todays audience. In order for the Olympics to stay alive and healthy they need to adapt to the times. Stick to much to tradition and it could be your undoing. Much like what is happening to a certain unnamed organization right now *cough* dci *cough*, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms aint it?

Tell us how you really feel, don't hold back, LOL......

Well at least I now know what is responsible for my undoing. Darn the old ways and my belief system! ROFLOL.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:06 am 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:24 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
I cannot believe I was up until 3 am+ watching equestrian and badminton ... but it was worth it. :zzz: Sleep time now for a couple hours. (and no I do not have TiVo or a recordable DVD ... but I might be able to figure out how to program the VHS if I can find the manual).

_________________
Image


Last edited by fieldshowqueen on Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:37 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:21 pm
Posts: 444
Location: Rowland, CA
heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too.

All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.

_________________
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:05 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Amory
if i made an olympic sport, it would be olympic jello snorting

_________________
Image

Cybernations


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:50 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:24 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
senza cervello wrote:
heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too. All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.

No ... it shows the correct time BUT (does any one else have this issue?) all of the other appliances with clocks are always 1 minute or more fast or slow. Drives me nuts. I can lose up to 4 minutes just walking from one end of the house to the other. LOL.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:07 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:21 pm
Posts: 444
Location: Rowland, CA
fieldshowqueen wrote:
senza cervello wrote:
heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too. All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.

No ... it shows the correct time BUT (does any one else have this issue?) all of the other appliances with clocks are always 1 minute or more fast or slow. Drives me nuts. I can lose up to 4 minutes just walking from one end of the house to the other. LOL.


Oh, because all of my stuff still does! :td:

_________________
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:06 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:58 pm
Posts: 3598
Location: Escondido, Ca
fieldshowqueen wrote:
senza cervello wrote:
heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too. All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.

No ... it shows the correct time BUT (does any one else have this issue?) all of the other appliances with clocks are always 1 minute or more fast or slow. Drives me nuts. I can lose up to 4 minutes just walking from one end of the house to the other. LOL.


Which is why always set my clocks using my cell phone, the time on it is always correct. And for those of you haven't already noticed, but most jobs use the internet for their official time on their computer clocks, which is usually the EXACT same time as your cell phone receives. So yeah...

_________________
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:47 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:10 pm
Posts: 483
Location: Chino, CA
Trap shooting is pretty neat. The shooting events must make the gun-control nuts crazy...

I have also been enjoying the volleyball (beach and indoor) as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:44 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am
Posts: 1819
Location: Amory
seanrj wrote:
I have also been enjoying the volleyball (beach and indoor) as well.


can't imagine why... :roll:

_________________
Image

Cybernations


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:24 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:38 am
Posts: 2858
Location: Los Angeles
seanrj wrote:
Trap shooting is pretty neat. The shooting events must make the gun-control nuts crazy...

I have also been enjoying the volleyball (beach and indoor) as well.

I've been trying to catch it when it airs. I kinda assume NBC (or any news media for that matter) won't show anything gun related that can be viewed in a positive light. I noticed a lot of less developed countries send shooters as their main olympic medal contenders and were the flag carriers during the march.

_________________
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:41 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:24 am
Posts: 2490
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
The Aceman wrote:
fieldshowqueen wrote:
senza cervello wrote:
heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too. All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.

No ... it shows the correct time BUT (does any one else have this issue?) all of the other appliances with clocks are always 1 minute or more fast or slow. Drives me nuts. I can lose up to 4 minutes just walking from one end of the house to the other. LOL.


Which is why always set my clocks using my cell phone, the time on it is always correct. And for those of you haven't already noticed, but most jobs use the internet for their official time on their computer clocks, which is usually the EXACT same time as your cell phone receives. So yeah...

That isnt' the issue ... the clocks in the appliances run fast or slow and after about 2 or 3 months one or more of them is 1 minute faster and another is 1 minute slower than the others. As far as I can tell none of them have a "speed up/slow down" dial.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics