Marine Saluting Obama?!?!?!?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Marine Saluting Obama?!?!?!?

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:48 pm

WHAT THE HECK!?!?!?! Are you KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

Unbelievable...welcome to the wonderful world of programming folks. There you go--your next president, even though he's about as worthy a person for the presidency as I am. And that ain't saying much.

http://www.timebomb2000.com/vb/attachme ... 1216758560

Any former Marines that hang out here want to explain why a Marine is saluting a presidential candidate who DIDN'T serve in our armed forces?

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:48 pm

As an US Army Band veteran and one who was drum major of the NORAD Band which performed for two presidents while I was in the service, I can state with a great deal of military experience and knowledge.... "With the exception of rendering honors to the surviving family at a military funeral, it is inappropriate for any serviceman to salute a civilian... and this includes members of congress."

The President of the United States is the Commander In Chief of the armed services and is given a proper salute by members of the armed services. He is not considered a civilian by the armed services.

vore 8-)

US Army 1967-1970 :sarg:
336th Army Band element
NORAD Band
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:37 pm

Uh...he forgot? He's used to saluting people of distinction and just didn't think about it before doing it.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 pm

After looking at the photo very carefully, it is quite possible that a military officer is walking or standing near Obama, and the salute is intended for the officer... not Obama. Sometimes a poor camera angle doesn't present the entire picture.

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:41 pm

vore wrote:After looking at the photo very carefully, it is quite possible that a military officer is walking or standing near Obama, and the salute is intended for the officer... not Obama. Sometimes a poor camera angle doesn't present the entire picture.

vore 8-)
Very good point. On the forum where I got this from initially, the two biggest "reasons" why the Marine was saluting was basically yours--an out of shot actual upper rank serviceman, OR, as others from the service have pointed out, perhaps this young man was unsure, so when unsure, salute. The worst that can happen is some grumpy 42 year old who fears for the future of our country bellyaching about it on a marching band discussion forum--but if he DIDN'T salute, and he should have, that would have been bad mojo for the poor guy.

Oh well...the problem I have with the photo was that it's linked back to Yahoo news--and I think it was an AP byline, with a caption that said something to the extent of "....a Marine shown saluting Obama as he leaves his plane at...." Pickled me--just isn't right because of what I think Obama represents and how he seems to have been crowned already. I mean really...going to another country during a campaign to do what? Campaign? Well--apparently there's confusion about that and the reporters questioning Obama's handlers were "reminding" them that Obama was in fact NOT the President yet, so therefore, the "rally" he was going to have WAS a campaign stop...albeit...in Europe...where the last time I checked, they don't vote in America.

Oh wait...with our immigration policies as of late, I guess ANYTHING is possible anymore.

Might as well go to Bangledesh while he's at it.

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:31 am

why cant i see the picture? when i click it it links me to a forum where i need a password

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:29 am

aandm wrote:why cant i see the picture? when i click it it links me to a forum where i need a password
Ohhhhhhhhhh...then that's my fault. I'm sorry. I don't know how to embed that picture I'm talking about. It's up on Yahoo news as well...sorry about that. :oops:

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:08 pm

ah makes sense though i cant find it.... wouldn't [img]____[/img] work?

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:22 pm

Actually I've just read on another forum that there's a video of this, and in fact, the Marine IS saluting Obama.

Great.

Now I'm pissed off all over again.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:39 pm

thats retarded. the military isnt supposed to show displays of political opinion in uniform like that. The image that the military supports one political party over the other is very dangerous. Ideally they should look and act politically neutral. I haven't seen this video Ryan is talking about so I don't know the exact context.
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:54 pm

If you think that WE are upset about this, think about what is happening to this Marine in the barracks...

I take that Obama is not entirely popular with the military, especially after some of his comments regarding the military. I have a few friends in the military and they do NOT appreciate some of what he has said about them.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:23 pm

seanrj wrote:If you think that WE are upset about this, think about what is happening to this Marine in the barracks...

I take that Obama is not entirely popular with the military, especially after some of his comments regarding the military. I have a few friends in the military and they do NOT appreciate some of what he has said about them.
You should see what he did in Afghanistan and Germany recently, hiding behind the flimsy "excuse" on NOT appearing as though it was a campaign "issue".
Last edited by Ryan H. Turner on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:48 pm

What is a "Civilian National Security Force"? I heard that...

And how do they intend to do that when they take away all the guns?

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:48 pm

seanrj wrote:What is a "Civilian National Security Force"? I heard that...

And how do they intend to do that when they take away all the guns?
Blackwater
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:57 pm

Blackwater is not a "Civilian" or a "National" organization, but nice try. Blackwater is a private company that has received government contracts for quite a while. Obama mentioned the CNSF in a speech recently.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had heard it before it was swept under the rug by the media.