Let's get ready for some Football!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:35 pm

formermarcher wrote:The Line: The offenvie line has sucked ohrribly in the past. They have brought in new players, all-stars, people like that. The defesnive line hasn't changed much, but a few rookies look promising.

Offense- The offense is better than last year, although they need to spend money and get a decent QB.

Defense- The defense doesn't suck, its just that the offense never scores.
No, I disagree. The Offense is still terrible and is Big D's biggest weakness. Hutchinson at QB and Hambrick at RB are both young and have potential, but it's still kind of early to get a read on them. The WRs are reasonably solid, at least, with Galloway and Bryant.

The defense is decent, especially in the secondary, but they're SO YOUNG. FS Williams and CB Ross are in their 2nd season, and CB Newman is a rookie. They have talent, though.
formermarcher wrote:So due to the ways things are being run but the lack of serious talent, I see the Cowboys passing the Skins. I don't know much about the Skins, but they need a year to gather themselves, just like the Cowboys are doing now. I've read over the Skins's preseason matches so far...they just seem to be really unorginized.
The Skins defense (with LB Arrington and CB Bailey) has the potential to be much better than Dallas's defense. Both teams offenses are anemic. But Dallas has the detriment of having a brutal schedule. Four of Dallas's first five games and half of their entire schedule are against playoff teams. Dallas has road games at NY Giants, at NY Jets, at Tampa Bay, at New England, at Philadelphia, and at New Orleans. That's six losses right there, and they've got home games against Atlanta, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Carolina, Miami, and NY Giants.

Dallas has some hope for the future, but they could easily go 4-12 or 5-11 this year.
formermarcher wrote:So thats that. As for the Bucs:
Yes the Bucs have got an incredible defense, and thier offense likes to pick up as the season goes on. I think that this was due to Gruden. He cut no slack for anyone. If they made a mistake, they'd hear about it from him. And so as the year went on, Gruden kept pushing them just that extra bit, and the team reflected that with wins. This year they won't have that as much. The team has bonded nicely to Gruden (or so it seems) and I see them making the playoffs because teams that work well together mornally do well.
Gruden's still their coach. Do you really think he's going to slack of and let them off easy this season? I don't.
formermarcher wrote:So why not the superbowl? I never said they won't make the superbowl...I think they have the potential to, but thier biggest problem will be the Eagles. McNabb is back, and even though he was in the playoffs, the team now will be more familiar with him than a backup QB.
I think the if the Bucs make it to the superbowl, they'll be losing to an AFC team. I don't have any predictions now, but I just see it like that.

Remember, the Bucs lost twice to Philly in the playoffs, at Philly, before beating them. The 49ers may be looking at the same thing.
Comparing any more than the previous season is a risk. Those were two different teams back then, with different coaches and players at different levels of their current ability. Remember, it took MJ and the Bulls three tries to beat the Detroit Pistons, too, but once they did...
formermarcher wrote:Also, the Bucs may have a problem with the 49ers. They are looking hot this year. A force to be reckoned with, expecially after that one playoff game. Its all about the previous games.

But thats just what I think.
The Niners secondary is starting to worry me. It wasn't very strong to begin with, and now a few players are banged up. Speaking of banged up players, the key to the Niners' whole season is how healthy Jeff Garcia is. His back has been bothering him the entire pre-season, and if he goes down the Niners are done. DONE. Like, 6-10 done.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:36 pm

formermarcher wrote:So due to the ways things are being run but the lack of serious talent, I see the Cowboys passing the Skins. I don't know much about the Skins, but they need a year to gather themselves, just like the Cowboys are doing now. I've read over the Skins's preseason matches so far...they just seem to be really unorginized.
Phantom Phan wrote:The Skins defense (with LB Arrington and CB Bailey) has the potential to be much better than Dallas's defense. Both teams offenses are anemic. But Dallas has the detriment of having a brutal schedule. Four of Dallas's first five games and half of their entire schedule are against playoff teams. Dallas has road games at NY Giants, at NY Jets, at Tampa Bay, at New England, at Philadelphia, and at New Orleans. That's six losses right there, and they've got home games against Atlanta, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Carolina, Miami, and NY Giants.
The cowboys also have to play the giants, eagles, and skins twice. Now I can see them losing to both Philly and NY, but no matter how good each team is, the Skins lose most of the games against the Cowboys (not so much as they used to however). I see a loss to TB and maybe New England. So thats eight losses right there. But who knows?
However, this is all very skeptical. There have been plenty of teams that are in the playoffs that fail to make them the next year. Also, as you said, you really can't go off of what happened last season, as teams change and I for one cannot predict the future perfectly.

I think they stand a chance in the season opener against Alanta due to thier loss of Vick. I don't know much about the Falcons (except for a few guys), but it has always seemed to me that Vick was the heart of the team. They could be playoff bound, but I can't be sure. Like I said, its in the future.

I agree that the Cowboys have a tough season, but thats the way it goes. Philly and NY are strong teams that the Cowboys each have to play twice. Now I don't expect too much, but I think they can win at least 6 games this year.
Two against the skins, one against Arizona, one against the Giants, one against Carolina, and one over Detroit.
Those are generally thier easiest games. I know the Cowboys aren't what they used to be, but they are not that helpless. I predict 6-10.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:01 am

hmmmmmmmmm....................the one foot ball team i despise are the raiders!!!!!!! yup, i'm a raider hater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Nothing is impossible with God!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:13 am

altogirl06 wrote:hmmmmmmmmm....................the one foot ball team i despise are the raiders!!!!!!! yup, i'm a raider hater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Me too. I really had enough about the Raiders. All during the time of the superbowl year it was "Raiders will win, Bucs will lose", things like that. Then the Bucs win and the Raiders fans become real asses.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:20 am

all i'm gonna say is that i'm a raider hater and the chargers are the best!!!!!(even though they lose )
Nothing is impossible with God!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:18 am

The chargers are okay. I wish I could hear more about them, though. Maybe actually see them play a game, just to see why so many people like them.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:21 pm

formermarcher wrote:The chargers are okay. I wish I could hear more about them, though. Maybe actually see them play a game, just to see why so many people like them.
The Chargers offense should be dynamite this year, but their defense (particularly their secondary) is extremely young and raw. If the defense steps up and can stop a few teams, the Chargers should be in the playoffs. They have the coaching, and they have the talent (especially on offense).

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:24 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
formermarcher wrote:The chargers are okay. I wish I could hear more about them, though. Maybe actually see them play a game, just to see why so many people like them.
The Chargers offense should be dynamite this year, but their defense (particularly their secondary) is extremely young and raw. If the defense steps up and can stop a few teams, the Chargers should be in the playoffs. They have the coaching, and they have the talent (especially on offense).
I totally agree. The thing with the defense is that they have no real expiernced player. When Seau departed, they lost the only real person who has had constant exposure to the game. Sure they'll have some old guys who remember what it is like, but not nearly enough to make a grand stand.
Don't forget the major step they took last season. They were the worst team two years ago, and last year not great but not bad. If they focus, get a few breaks, and really have the want for it, they will make the playoffs.
But I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen until next year.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:58 am

The Chargers' defensive line, with Leonardo Carson, Raylee Johnson, and Marcellus Wiley, should be solid. But behind them...

Linebackers: Donnie Edwards is a solid OLB and his veteran presence should help Carlos Polk, Zeke Moreno, and Ben Leber. Moreno and/or Leber need to step up this year for the Chargers to make the playoffs. My money is on Ben Leber: the Kansas State alum has the skills and showed flashes of big potential last season.

Secondary: Kwamie Lassiter was a good pick up at safety. He's no Rodney Harrison, but at least the Chargers have got SOMETHING to build around. Rookie CB Drayton Florence needs to perform solidly, and 2nd year CB Quentin Jammer needs to step up his game and become the stud corner the Chargers thought he would be when they drafted him out of Texas last year.

Keys to the Chargers defense (and thus, playoff hopes):
1. DE Wiley, DE Johnson, LB Edwards and S Lassiter must stay healthy.
2. LB Leber and CB Jammer need to have solid years.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:47 am

I know its only preseason, but the Cowboys have put up some nice numbers.
They finished tied in the NFC East, record wise (although 2-2 is not good). The destroyed the Raiders last night 52-13, and they have scored over 100 points in 4 games.
So maybe there is hope for them? Lets just see what happens.

DBbaby
New Recruit
New Recruit

yea..

Post by DBbaby » Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:43 am

hopefully quincy carter could play up to his expectations or like how he played in the preason game against the raiders.. well not much to say about the cowbosy, hopefully they have a DECENT season..... something that might entice free-agents next year to join the team.... but man there are a lot of injuries this preason.. and serious ones too.. ppl are out for 6-10 weeks and some are out for the season.. its gettin brutal out there

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:42 pm

altogirl06 wrote:hmmmmmmmmm....................the one foot ball team i despise are the raiders!!!!!!! yup, i'm a raider hater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

What are you talking about???? THE RAIDERS RULE!!!!! Hahahahahahah! sorry, big fan of them, though I haven't seen a game of football YET this season... but GO RAIDERS!!!!
OHS '01 - '05

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Phantom Phan's NFL Predictions (Revised: 08/31)

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:50 pm

Now that the pre-season is complete, let me revise my earlier statements...

AFC

AFC East
1. Buffalo
2. Miami
3. New England
4. New York Jets
Revised Analysis: Top to bottom, possibly the best division in Football. I still think this. Buffalo, Miami, and New England are all threats to go deep into the playoffs. The Jets losing Pennington REALLY hurt, even more than losing Vick will hurt Atlanta, is my guess.

AFC North
1. Baltimore
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cincinnati
4. Cleveland
Revised Analysis: No changes. There's not a team in this division that impresses me at all.

AFC South
1. Indianapolis
2. Tennessee
3. Houston
4. Jacksonville
Revised Analysis: No changes. The Colts and Titans are both looking good, but the Titans' lack of depth still worries me.

AFC West
1. Denver
2. San Diego
3. Kansas City
4. Oakland
Revised Analysis: Oakland has been the worst team in the NFL in preseason. People say the preseason doesn't mean anything -- well, the RECORDS don't, but the performance most certainly does. And what I saw from the Silver and Black was a first team offense and defense get shredded by everyone they faced in the preseason. Dallas was up 17-0 before Oakland pulled their first teams off the field, and Gannon was a mere 12 of 33 in the pre-season. Their offensive guns are old as dirt, their offensive line is a mess, their secondary is unfocused and unspectacular. I'm sorry, but I can't see Oakland doing anything other than struggling to reach the playoffs.

NFC

NFC East
1. New York Giants
2. Philadelphia
3. Washington
4. Dallas
Revised Analysis: No real changes... the Eagles and Giants will fight it out at the top, and the Skins won't be able to compete. The Cowboys will be bad, but they shouldn't be AWFUL. Maybe 6-10 or 7-9 for Dallas.

NFC North
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. Minnesota
4. Detroit
Revised Analysis: No changes. The Vikings still don't have any defense. Now that the Lions have lost their main RB to injury, they might end up the worst team in football... nah, that team's coming up below...

NFC South
1. Tampa Bay
2. Atlanta
3. Carolina
4. New Orleans
Revised Analysis: Tampa Bay will win the division, but after that, who knows? Losing Vick hurt the Falcons, the Saints always make a late season fade, and the Panthers have a scary good defense but a questionable offense. All of the teams in the division are a threat to make the playoffs. Next to the AFC East, this might be the second-best division in football.

NFC West
1. Seattle
2. St. Louis
3. San Francisco
4. Arizona
Revised Analysis: Yep, I'm going with the longshot. The Seahawks ended 2002 on fire, and they've got a lot of potential heading into 2003. Still, I'm concerned that really good defensive teams will be able to shut them down. Next to the Raiders, the Niners have been the second-most disappointing team. I'm very worried about the Bay Area this year. I still don't buy reports that Garcia is okay, and Erickson is a college coach who can't cut it in the NFL. Arizona will likely be the worst team in football.

Playoff Teams:
AFC (no changes): Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Denver, San Diego
NFC (one change): New York Giants, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Seattle

AFC Championship: Indianapolis over Buffalo
NFC Championship: Tampa Bay over New York Giants

SUPER BOWL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers over Indianapolis Colts[/quote]

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:48 pm

4 days to opening kickoff!!! :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-)

I'M READY!!! ARE YOU GUYS READY FOR PRO FOOTBALL? This is gonna be an exciting season!!! :D I can't wait anymore! Let's get the season started already!
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:53 pm

Lets take predictions:
I'll set up another topic for the next game, one I pick at random. Lets take predicitons with explanations.