Let's get ready for some Football!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:46 pm

Norv Turner won't be leaving Miami anytime soon. He's gonna have a strong offense to work with over there.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:58 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
Personal wrote:Sorry folks, but I am a die-hard Green Bay fan. I always have been, always will be. Even though neither of my folks are, they are my team. I even have a cheese head. I have my Favre jersey, and I have my GB Hat. I love my Packs. I can not believe that they got rained out though. :cry: But hey, they will do well, but than again, I believe that every year. But hey, GL to all teams this year. And another thing. GB is playin both the Chargers, and Raiders this year, so good luck to ya'll.
Honestly, I don't think Green Bay is going to be that great of a team this year. But that doesn't really matter, because as long as they've got Brett Favre they're playoff contenders.
Yeah, I hear what you are saying. However, you must admit that GB does have one of the most superior offenses in the entire league. They have Brett Favre, Ahman Green, Bubba franks, and Donald Driver, I mean come on people...
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

DBbaby
New Recruit
New Recruit

wow so many charger fans

Post by DBbaby » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:39 pm

im realli surprised that there are a lot of charger fans since they arent realli televised on national television... they have a good team this year despite seau gone... well to the packer fan, they got a good team once again and they have replenshied their wide reciever positions once again... as long as u have farve you are goin to win...

Cowboys better start showing some results daymn it!!!!!!! i cant stand another season of oh which quarter back should start, or will the offense score any daymn points... we have a good defense unit but we NEED POINTS

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Re: wow so many charger fans

Post by MCclarinetdude » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:03 pm

DBbaby wrote:im realli surprised that there are a lot of charger fans since they arent realli televised on national television...
Why are you suprised at the amount of Chargers fans? Most of us on this forum live in Southern California, and it just happens to be that the Chargers is the only football team in SoCal, so there should be a good amount of Charger fans on here (at least from SD. LA is another story). About the national television thing, the reason why the Chargers aren't featured on national television that much is because they aren't as popular of a team and they haven't had a winning season in 8 or 9 years. In San Diego, we'll get the Chargers game every week, but if you live in L.A., you get the nationally-televised games of the more high-profile teams.

I should say that the Chargers have been on national television a few times since their Super Bowl appearance, like on Sunday Night or special Saturday Night games, but they haven't been on Monday Night Football since like 1995, but they will be on MNF this year!!! :D So the Chargers do have their national television appearances, but just not as much as the bigger and more popular teams.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:52 am

The reason the popular teams have all the TV spots if because they are generally good teams. Now I don't know how they determine Monday Night Football...I think those are just classic rivarlies.

When the Chargers start winning, they'll be on TV alot more. Probably NBC or CBS (whoever does it now) because they are AFC...and lets face it:
Football on NBC/CBS is kind of boring. They need to be more like FOX, and maybe NOT fire the best pair of commentators ever...

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Phantom Phan's NFL Predictions

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:01 pm

Here's how I see it unfolding:

AFC

AFC East
1. Buffalo
2. Miami
3. New York Jets
4. New England
Analysis: Top to bottom, possibly the best division in Football. Buffalo had the offense, and now they've got a vastly improved defense (Takeo Spikes was a great pickup). Miami has a rock-solid defense and one of the top three RBs in the game, plus a solid quarterback. The Jets also have a solid defense and one of the best pure passers in the game, but the loss of WR Coles will hurt them. New England is a solid team but lacks depth, and, much like Buffalo last year, could go 8-8 and end up in 4th place.

AFC North
1. Baltimore
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cincinnati
4. Cleveland
Analysis: Top to bottom, possibly the worst division in Football. If Chris Redman steps up, the Ravens have the defense to go far (as long as Ray Lewis stays healthy). Year in, year out, Pittsburgh is very overrated. The bus is bound to run out of gas any day now, and while the Steelers have one of the best receiving corps in the game, I'm not sure if Zeroue (sp?) can carry this team. Cincinnati is slowly weeding out some of the chaff, but will still be horrible. Cleveland is a better team, but they've got two lousy QBs (Holcomb and Couch) fighting it out for the starters job, so they won't go far.

AFC South
1. Indianapolis
2. Tennessee
3. Houston
4. Jacksonville
Analysis: Indianapolis could be one of the best teams in football. Coach Dungy did miracles with the Colts' defense, and they've still got a great trifecta (Manning, James/Mungro, Harrison) on offense. Tennessee has the potential to be a very, very good team, but they're painfully shallow. Any injuries to big name players will flat out knock this team out of playoff contention. Houston showed glimmers of the future last year, and if the OL can give Carr more time this team could end up 6-10 ot 7-9. Such lofty goals. Jacksonville's a mess. Brunnell can't stay healthy, they've got a weak running game and their top receiver (Jimmy Smith) just got suspended on a drug violation. Sure, their defense is capable, but their offense is anemic.

AFC West
1. Denver
2. San Diego
3. Oakland
4. Kansas City
Analysis: Denver's only weak spot is at quarterback, where they'll soon find out that Jake Plummer is simply a stiff. They've got awesome WRs and RBs, and a stellar defense. They'll easily make the playoffs, and then Plummer's ineptitude will cost them their first postseason game. The Chargers offense is set to explode, but will the defense be able to stop anybody? The talent's there, it's just very young. Seau isn't a big loss (he ain't the player he used to be) but losing Rodney Harrison hurt. Oakland's problem isn't necessarily age, but one of the symptoms of age: loss of speed. Oakland is easily the slowest team in football, and their huge OL (avg: 6'5" 320) is the biggest example. Tampa's speedy defenders shredded Oakland's offense in the Super Bowl, and that trend has continued versus other teams in the pre-season. Expect a BIG drop-off from the Raiders as speedy DEs pound Gannon into the turf and rush his throws all season long. The Chiefs could easily flip-flop spots with the Chargers. The key will be improving one of the worst defenses in football (2nd in the AFC in points allowed in 2002). The Chiefs, just like New England, could finish 8-8 and end up in 4th place.

NFC

NFC East
1. New York Giants
2. Philadelphia
3. Washington
4. Dallas
Analysis: The Giants were a team on a roll until their ex-long snapper ruined their season. Collins, Shockey, Toomer, and Barber will be an awesome offensive juggernaut, and their defense remains solid. The Eagles still have a talented team, but their big name players need to stay healthy (McNabb) and produce more (WRs). Washington could easily end up ahead of Philadelphia. Their defense just needs to improve a little bit (the talent's there). I expect the offense to explode now that the team's more familiar with Spurrier's schemes. Dallas is a very young team, and might be good again in a few years. But not today. Their offense is horrible (only scored 217 points in 16 games, 2nd worst in NFL in 2002), and the Big Tuna is in for a long and frustrating season.

NFC North
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. Minnesota
4. Detroit
Analysis: The Pack is at the top of this division as long as Favre is around. The defense is solid, too, with one of the most under-appreciated defensive linemen in football (Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila). Da Bears were simply snake bit last year, as a ton of starters got hurt. The ones who didn't (Anthony Thomas) had lousy seasons. This team has too much talent to not be in the Top 2 in this division if they stay healthy. The Vikings have an outstanding QB and supporting cast (as long as Moss isn't being a spoiled brat). But their defense is simply AWFUL. The Lions just suck. Their QB has potential, but they've got no A-caliber WRs and a tenuous running game (I'm not sold on RB Stewart). Their new coach, Steve Mariucci, is a nice guy, but he's also the most over-rated coach in football (was when he was with the Niners, too).

NFC South
1. Tampa Bay
2. Atlanta
3. New Orleans
4. Carolina
Analysis: Mark it down: the Bucs' defense will be even BETTER this year. With that said, who cares about their offense? The Falcons could be a tremendous team, too. Vick is amazing, and in Peerless Price they've given him a big time receiver. He's also got Alge Crumpler, one of the most underrated TEs in football. Their defense is solid with some young players (LB Patrick Kearney) ready to have big seasons. They just need to develop some consistency. The Saints could be a good team: QB Brooks, RB McAllister, and WRs Horn and Stallworth will give opposing defenses fits. The Saints OL worries me, though, as does their defense (which could be one of the worst in football). Carolina's defense is solid, but their offense is hopeless. No big name RB. No big name WR. No big name QB. Forget it.

NFC West
1. San Francisco
2. St. Louis
3. Seattle
4. Arizona
Analysis: San Francisco could be one of the best teams in football if Garcia is healthy. Their offense is stacked at every position and the defense has a lot of young, talented players ready to bust out. St. Louis has a lot of question marks to see if they can return to playoff form. The offensive talent is there, but the defense needs big time improvement. Seattle won't do much in 2003. Their offense is fair, but their defense is poor and lacks depth. The defense is already struggling through injury troubles. The Cardinals are hopeless. They got rid of one stiff (QB Plummer) and two all-stars (WR Boston, S Lassiter). Their offense is weak, their defense is horrid. Expect nothing from this team and you'll get it.

Playoff Teams:
AFC: Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Denver, San Diego
NFC: New York Giants, Philadelphia, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, San Francisco

AFC Championship: Indianapolis over Buffalo
NFC Championship: Tampa Bay over New York Giants

SUPER BOWL: Tampa Bay Buccaneers over Indianapolis Colts

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:09 pm

I don't think the Bucs have it to win again.
Plus, I think the Cowboys will be third, and the Skins fourth in the NFC east.

Other than that, I agree.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:22 pm

formermarcher wrote:I don't think the Bucs have it to win again.

Defend your viewpoint. :D Why don't you think the Bucs have it? Why do you think the Cowboys will be third?

DBbaby
New Recruit
New Recruit

HMMm thanks for the info

Post by DBbaby » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:37 pm

Well i believe that afc west division can go every which way because all the teams are realli good...I don't know I just believe that Kansas City has a realli good chance of winning their division this year... they have an amazing running back that will pound his way into the playoffs if he stays healthy...BUT to all those charger fans out there, you guys got a GREAT player wen u acquirred DAVID BOSTON... i think he is one of the most underated WRS in the game

I wouldnt count out carolina because their defense is just remarkable, with Micheal Vick out for the start of the season, the panthers can make a real move ahead in that division...and they added stephen davis for goodness sake.. that is one BIG NAME running back, that man alone will make a HUGE difference in their offense..i agree they still do not have a QB but they can and will be a playoff contender if that team can stay healthy...

Well there is no doubt in my mind that the BUCS will stay focused and win it again because they have a monster for a coach.... this man does not rest... he goes in weeks before camp starts and plans new schemes...

I love JAke the Snake and i have followed him since his days in college...I think it will take a while before the WRS at denver will understand jakes style of play.. they are so use to griese staying in the pocket, which might conflict with jake's style because he likes rolling of out of the pocket and throwing on the move...who are their steller RB's besides Griffin coming out of Oklahoma...

I truely believe Tennesse only wins because of steve mcnair... that man wants to win, and he is good at it... George is on the downfall of his career and he needs to do something quick to regain some of the respect the people once had for him... if you look at his stats his yards per cary has been decreasing for i believe 3 years now

Well if you disagree with me just put up a post

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:25 pm

Great analysis Phantom Phan! First off, I'd like to say that Seau IS a great loss to the Chargers. Sure, he's not what he used to be (he's still good), but the Chargers will miss him as a leader. On the field, they'll miss the way he would be able to intimidate the other team.

I attended the Chargers preseason game yesterday, and there were times when the Chargers got burned by backs running up the middle. I'd say the Chargers are gonna miss Seau's presence on there. The defense as a whole worries me, especially the secondary. They are young and inexperienced. We'll just have to see what they can do.

I think the whole AFC West is up in the air. Anybody has a shot.

Also, Michael Vick got injured yesterday. He broke his right leg and is out for at least six weeks! Phantom, how do you think that will affect the Falcons now?
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:29 pm

MCclarinetdude wrote:Great analysis Phantom Phan! First off, I'd like to say that Seau IS a great loss to the Chargers. Sure, he's not what he used to be (he's still good), but the Chargers will miss him as a leader. On the field, they'll miss the way he would be able to intimidate the other team.
Yes, they will miss him as a leader. But don't kid yourself: the entire league knows he's losing speed. He's not nearly the intimidating force he was in the mid-90s.
MCclarinetdude wrote:I attended the Chargers preseason game yesterday, and there were times when the Chargers got burned by backs running up the middle. I'd say the Chargers are gonna miss Seau's presence on there.
Except, isn't Seau an OLB (outside line-backer)? I know he played MLB (Middle LB) earlier in his career, but I thought the Bolts were grooming Ben Leber for that position? I honestly don't think they'll miss Seau too much, other than the loss of leadership.
MCclarinetdude wrote: The defense as a whole worries me, especially the secondary. They are young and inexperienced. We'll just have to see what they can do.
No argument there. That's my main concern, too.
MCclarinetdude wrote:Also, Michael Vick got injured yesterday. He broke his right leg and is out for at least six weeks! Phantom, how do you think that will affect the Falcons now?
Bad timing, too, because the first half of the schedule has all of Atlanta's tough games. They still have enough overall talent to do well, but we'll see. I'd say if the Falcons start the season 3-3 or better they'll be fine, but if they're 2-4 or worse by the time Vick comes back then they're done and it won't matter.

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:11 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:Except, isn't Seau an OLB (outside line-backer)? I know he played MLB (Middle LB) earlier in his career, but I thought the Bolts were grooming Ben Leber for that position? I honestly don't think they'll miss Seau too much, other than the loss of leadership.
I've just looked up Seau's position, and he's listed as a MLB.

Anyway, even though he has aged a bit and he is slower, I still think he's better and more capable than most of the linebackers in the league. I honestly think the Chargers miss Seau a lot, and if they say they don't, then they are lying. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that we are on opposite ends of the Seau issue.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

DBbaby
New Recruit
New Recruit

PHANTOn

Post by DBbaby » Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:09 pm

do u agree what wut ive said?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: HMMm thanks for the info

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:57 am

Well, let's see...
DBbaby wrote:Well i believe that afc west division can go every which way because all the teams are realli good...I don't know I just believe that Kansas City has a realli good chance of winning their division this year... they have an amazing running back that will pound his way into the playoffs if he stays healthy...BUT to all those charger fans out there, you guys got a GREAT player wen u acquirred DAVID BOSTON... i think he is one of the most underated WRS in the game
Yep, I agree with all of that.
DBbaby wrote:I wouldnt count out carolina because their defense is just remarkable, with Micheal Vick out for the start of the season, the panthers can make a real move ahead in that division...
Well, not any more. They just lost their #1 tackler for the entire season; LB Marcus Fields was diagnosed with the early stages of Hodgkin's disease and will miss all of the 2003 season to undergo chemotherapy.
DBbaby wrote:and they added stephen davis for goodness sake.. that is one BIG NAME running back, that man alone will make a HUGE difference in their offense..i agree they still do not have a QB but they can and will be a playoff contender if that team can stay healthy...
Eh. I think Stephen Davis is a little over-rated. He's a solid running back, no doubt about that, but he's not the superstar running back many people thinks he is. I mean, the past two seasons he has 12 TDs and 10 Fumbles. Not terribly great numbers. He's capable, and he'll pick you up four yards per carry, but he's not all that. He's also a bit of an injury risk.

Carolina should have a good defense, even with Fields out (DE Julius Peppers is a terror). But I just can't imagine them having enough offense to win consistantly at any point in the season. They'll probably go 6-10 or 7-9 again this year.
DBbaby wrote:I love JAke the Snake and i have followed him since his days in college...I think it will take a while before the WRS at denver will understand jakes style of play.. they are so use to griese staying in the pocket, which might conflict with jake's style because he likes rolling of out of the pocket and throwing on the move...who are their steller RB's besides Griffin coming out of Oklahoma...
Jake Plummer is a stiff. A flat out stiff. I loved him at Arizona State, but he's one of those guys that's really ONLY a college quarterback. I mean, come on: at one point he had David Boston at WR, Freddie Jones at TE, Michael Pittman at RB, and one of the better offensive lines in the NFL, and he was still a stiff throwing a ton of INTs. Arizona could've (SHOULD have) had one of the best offenses in football. He sucked in Phoenix, he's going to suck in Denver.

Denver's superstar RB is Clinton Portis. Over 1,500 yards rushing and 15 rushing TDs last year... as a rookie. He's the real deal.
DBbaby wrote:I truely believe Tennesse only wins because of steve mcnair... that man wants to win, and he is good at it... George is on the downfall of his career and he needs to do something quick to regain some of the respect the people once had for him... if you look at his stats his yards per cary has been decreasing for i believe 3 years now
I half agree. Unquestionably, this team lives and dies with Air McNair. He is the heart and soul and everything else of the Titans... Eddie George's better days are definitely behind him, but I'm not ready to write him off just yet. He ran for over 1,100 yards and 12 TDs last year, after all, with only one fumble the entire season (almost 350 carries). As long as he can stay healthy (and he hasn't missed a game in his career, although he's often banged up) he'll contribute... Tennessee defense is also a threat to be reckoned with. Anytime you've got a guy like Jevon Kearse on your defensive line, you're going to be putting pressure on the other teams' QB.

Let's not forget, Tennessee made it to the AFC Championship game last year. The only thing that worries me about the Titans is their depth: there is none. If they have a couple of starters get hurt, they're done, but as long as they stay healthy they should be contenders in the AFC.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:30 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
formermarcher wrote:I don't think the Bucs have it to win again.

Defend your viewpoint. :D Why don't you think the Bucs have it? Why do you think the Cowboys will be third?
Right. Why I think the Cowboys will finish third.

The Cowboys have had a major overhaul with practically everything. They have a new coach (Bill Parcels), and I have been watching everything they have been doing closley. I've cheacked out thier site almost everyday, and they way that he is running things is something that Campos never had. Instead of being angry all the time, this guy is more with the team. He bonds with them, sort of like the Bucs did with Gruden. Also, everything else that has been revamped is pulling together stronger. THe team is more together than before, and that is due to the coach.

The Line: The offenvie line has sucked ohrribly in the past. They have brought in new players, all-stars, people like that. The defesnive line hasn't changed much, but a few rookies look promising.

Offense- The offense is better than last year, although they need to spend money and get a decent QB.

Defense- The defense doesn't suck, its just that the offense never scores.

Now despite all these new changes and outlooks, the Cowboys still have no major talent. Most of the team (especially the offense) is filled with players that are mediocre. The defense has a few good guys, but nothing outstanding.

So due to the ways things are being run but the lack of serious talent, I see the Cowboys passing the Skins. I don't know much about the Skins, but they need a year to gather themselves, just like the Cowboys are doing now. I've read over the Skins's preseason matches so far...they just seem to be really unorginized.

So thats that. As for the Bucs:
Yes the Bucs have got an incredible defense, and thier offense likes to pick up as the season goes on. I think that this was due to Gruden. He cut no slack for anyone. If they made a mistake, they'd hear about it from him. And so as the year went on, Gruden kept pushing them just that extra bit, and the team reflected that with wins.
This year they won't have thta as much. The team has bonded nicely to Gruden (or so it seems) and I see them making the playoffs because teams that work well together mornally do well.
So why not the superbowl? I never said they won't make the superbowl...I think they have the potential to, but thier biggest problem will be the Eagles. McNabb is back, and even though he was in the playoffs, the team now will be more familiar with him than a backup QB.
I think the if the Bucs make it to the superbowl, they'll be losing to an AFC team. I don't have any predictions now, but I just see it like that.

Also, the Bucs may have a problem with the 49ers. They are looking hot this year. A force to be reckoned with, expecially after that one playoff game. Its all about the previous games.
Remember, the Bucs lost twice to Philly in the playoffs, at Philly, before beating them. The 49ers may be looking at the same thing.

But thats just what I think.