Let's Get Ready For College Football

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

Let's Get Ready For College Football

Post by LBRSR » Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:17 pm

It's time for the Texas Longhorns to kick some butt, take the Big 12 Championship and then the National Title.

What are you favorite teams??

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:16 pm

Texas will be lucky to get past Oklahoma in the Big XII.

Ohio State will be tough, they're returning some ridiculous number of starters (17, 18, 19) from last year's championship team. USC should be good. Miami should be good. Auburn and Georgia both could be terrific teams. And I think Virginia is going to surprise a lot of people.

My favorite team is hapless San Diego State. :roll:

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

college football

Post by LBRSR » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:25 am

I have to agree with you on that one. K-State is going to look tough too. They killed Cal over the weekend. I wish Long Beach State still had their football team. I remember playing in the Big Brown Music Machine in 1982. It was a lot of fun.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:39 pm

One thing I know for sure:
USC is not as good as they sound. They just have a bunch of respect from doing so well last year. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I'd expect the same old teams to do well...again

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

college football

Post by LBRSR » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:46 pm

USC does not have a proven Q-back, just like Texas. All you can do is just wait and see what happens. I feel that they will get smoked by Auburn, because they do have a proven Q-Back and a stable of good running back and receivers. Let's wait and see.

Glenn

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:48 pm

Ya, but with most things, the media has blown them out of proportion.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: college football

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:56 pm

LBRSR wrote:I have to agree with you on that one. K-State is going to look tough too. They killed Cal over the weekend. I wish Long Beach State still had their football team. I remember playing in the Big Brown Music Machine in 1982. It was a lot of fun.
What game did you watch? K-State looked pitiful against Cal. A team that's supposedly going to be a National Title contender should've beaten a cellar-dweller like Cal by 40 points. K-State did not look sharp at all, they were very sloppy. I'm sure they'll do well in a very weak Big 12 North, but they'll get pummelled by Texas, Oklahoma, etc. K-State's a pretender... just like they are EVERY year: the worst and most overrated 10- or 11-win team in the country.

USC: not overrated, but not a legitimate contender for the National Title, either. USC's defense is smoking this year. Losing Carson Palmer definitely hurts, but they should do okay. I don't think they'll beat Auburn, either, since I expect Auburn to finish in the Top 5 or 10 this season. I also don't know if they'll be able to top Washington for the Pac-10 title. But they'll be pretty good. And I have to root for them, because my girlfriend graduated from USC and will beat me up if I don't. ;) :lol:

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:18 am

Phantom Phan wrote:Texas will be lucky to get past Oklahoma in the Big XII.

Ohio State will be tough, they're returning some ridiculous number of starters (17, 18, 19) from last year's championship team. USC should be good. Miami should be good. Auburn and Georgia both could be terrific teams. And I think Virginia is going to surprise a lot of people.

My favorite team is hapless San Diego State. :roll:
i don't know about the other teams but, san diego rocks!!!!!!!!!
Nothing is impossible with God!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:19 am

What do you have with San Diego?

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

college football

Post by LBRSR » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:21 am

What conference is San Diego State in? Is it the WAC? I know SDSU is supposed to have a really good quaterback.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:11 pm

LBRSR wrote:What conference is San Diego State in? Is it the WAC? I know SDSU is supposed to have a really good quaterback.
San Diego State is one of the eight former-WAC teams that split off to form the new MWC (Mountain West Conference) in the late 90s.

Mountain West Conference:
Air Force
Brigham Young
Colorado State
New Mexico
San Diego State
UNLV
Utah
Wyoming

SDSU has Adam Hall at QB, and they could have a terrific offense. Per usual, though, question marks abound, and they have a tough schedule. Here's what I see for San Diego State this fall:
08/30 vs. Eastern Washington (WIN)
09/06 at Ohio State (LOSS)
09/13 at UTEP (WIN)
09/20 vs. Samford (WIN)
09/27 at UCLA (LOSS)
10/04 vs Brigham Young (WIN)
10/11 at Utah (LOSS)
10/18 vs. New Mexico (LOSS)
10/25 vs. Wyoming (WIN)
11/08 at UNLV (WIN)
11/15 at Colorado State (LOSS)
11/22 vs. Air Force (LOSS)

San Diego State: 6-6, 4th or 5th in the MWC

LBRSR
Rookie
Rookie

College Football

Post by LBRSR » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:04 am

I am very impressed with your knowledge of college football. I am glad you follow your team very closely. It's just like me, with Texas. I have absolutely no affiliation with them whatsoever, yet my father went there and I grew up watching UT football with him, consistently every year, before he passed away. So I truly bleed burnt orange and will always do so. None of my friends can believe why I like them so much, instead of the USC'S or UCLA's. That's a big no for me. I think Texas will do good this year. I am concerned about the OU and K-State games and even Nebraska. So we'll see how the year plays out.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:41 am

I, for one, don't pay tons of attention to college football. I suppose I should, seeing that it is those players who fuel the NFL, which I watch immensley.

SithScorp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SithScorp » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:43 am

No one has mentioned USC...

Great Band and finally a great team...
Back to my training...

:maul:

SithScorp out...

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:49 pm

Phantom Phan wrote: USC: not overrated, but not a legitimate contender for the National Title, either. USC's defense is smoking this year. Losing Carson Palmer definitely hurts, but they should do okay. I don't think they'll beat Auburn, either, since I expect Auburn to finish in the Top 5 or 10 this season. I also don't know if they'll be able to top Washington for the Pac-10 title. But they'll be pretty good. And I have to root for them, because my girlfriend graduated from USC and will beat me up if I don't. ;) :lol:
Right there. There was alos a mention earlier on.