FINALLY--A YOUTUBE VIDEO THAT IS "TRIPPY!!"

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Gonzofoto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gonzofoto » Wed May 14, 2008 6:35 pm

vmbronco wrote: Yes! We can trip little kids! Seriously, I can see how this is funny, but how is it in any way okay? Do you guys think youre band director would be HAPPY if you did that? Not to mention common decency should stop you from hurting a child in any situation.
Expecting the responses of "the kid needed to be taught a lesson": It is the parent's job to discipline the kid, not some teenage band member. Who really cares if a kid breaks your ranks? So what? Do the right thing.
I agree with you, it's time we had a little more "perspective". The child is obviously misbehaving, and as fieldshowqueen indicated, the child's parents were remiss in not stopping this conduct, but the tripping action was not okay, and if anything came across as petty. If this conduct (the tripping) were acceptable, why not tackle the kid in order to increase the pain quotient and really impart a memorable corrective lesson?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Gonzofoto wrote:I agree with you, it's time we had a little more "perspective". The child is obviously misbehaving, and as fieldshowqueen indicated, the child's parents were remiss in not stopping this conduct, but the tripping action was not okay, and if anything came across as petty. If this conduct (the tripping) were acceptable, why not tackle the kid in order to increase the pain quotient and really impart a memorable corrective lesson?
That would be awesome! Terry Tate, Sousaphone player!

"The child's parents were remiss in not stopping this conduct" ... however, in my view that doesn't mean you just say "oh well" and let little Attila run rough-shod. Well, let me rephrase: I don't go out of my way to discipline other people's rugrats... but I will intervene when their actions are having a direct negative effect upon me.

The child was at the last rank. It would've taken him two steps to go BEHIND the band and not potentially disrupt the ensemble. Instead, he blatantly ran through the ranks. It's a classic case of a child determining where the "line" is, and then crossing it deliberately. Hey, every kid does it. It's just usually not this funny when they get their come-uppance.

I suppose it wouldn't have been as funny if the kid had been seriously injured... though I guess, depending on your perspective, it might have been MORE funny.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu May 15, 2008 8:35 am

OK...now that all the freakin' arguing has totally taken the FUN out of this video, let me redirect you humorless handwringers back to what IS funny...

THE FREAKIN' CYMBAL CRASH!!!

You can't ask for a better synchronicity moment...EVER!!!

Do I condone tripping little kids?

Let me put it this way...had that been my Michael Ryan or Benjamin Wallace getting tripped, and he came crying to me "That big bad tuba player tripped me..." I would have smacked my kid upside the head and said, "You're lucky he didn't crush you. Don't run through a band next time. And stop your crying, or I'm gonna give you something to REALLY cry about."

Trust me...kids need to be taught early. My kids are the happiest kids on the planet--because they know they're limits.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Thu May 15, 2008 8:55 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:OK...now that all the freakin' arguing has totally taken the FUN out of this video, let me redirect you humorless handwringers back to what IS funny...

THE FREAKIN' CYMBAL CRASH!!!

You can't ask for a better synchronicity moment...EVER!!!

Do I condone tripping little kids?

Let me put it this way...had that been my Michael Ryan or Benjamin Wallace getting tripped, and he came crying to me "That big bad tuba player tripped me..." I would have smacked my kid upside the head and said, "You're lucky he didn't crush you. Don't run through a band next time. And stop your crying, or I'm gonna give you something to REALLY cry about."

Trust me...kids need to be taught early. My kids are the happiest kids on the planet--because they know they're limits.

crash booommmmmmmm

I nominate Ryan for uhm Father of the Year :-p
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 am

He'll teach them discipline, if not how to differentiate between there/their/they're. ;)

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Thu May 15, 2008 9:13 am

Hostrauser wrote:He'll teach them discipline, if not how to differentiate between there/their/they're. ;)

oh kev let this one slide :p he's had a rough morning
Wendy

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu May 15, 2008 9:43 am

DANGIT!!! I always do that....arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 am

And now...for a peek into Ryan's homelife...another episode of "The H Controls His Boys...Or Does HE!?!?!?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQlW2UL ... re=related

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:And now...for a peek into Ryan's homelife...another episode of "The H Controls His Boys...Or Does HE!?!?!?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxQlW2UL ... re=related

hahah that was great...

better watch it tho Junior might kick your behind :p (especially if you don't lay off those In n Out Burgers heheh)

I feel the need to move this over to OT now though :p
Wendy

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu May 15, 2008 10:50 am

Here's foreshadowing and possible irony ... how much do you want to bet the tripped kid grows up to be a sousaphone player? :lol:

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Thu May 15, 2008 10:51 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:Here's foreshadowing and possible irony ... how much do you want to bet the tripped kid grows up to be a sousaphone player? :lol:

nah.. I think he's gonna play t-bone and ask the H. for advice
Wendy

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Thu May 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Wait, no one noticed (or already knows) that he has a kid named Benjamin Wallace? As in Ben Wallace? The Basketball Player? It's a great name and all, but did you get it from the Pistons/Bulls/Cavaliers player?
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu May 15, 2008 4:15 pm

senza cervello wrote:Wait, no one noticed (or already knows) that he has a kid named Benjamin Wallace? As in Ben Wallace? The Basketball Player? It's a great name and all, but did you get it from the Pistons/Bulls/Cavaliers player?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh PLEASE. My kid's fro had NOTHING to do with me naming him Ben Wallace.

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 pm

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:I didn't think it was that funny... poor kid...

That tuba player is such a douche! Why would you trip a little kid who is just having fun?
you know he deserved it. it's about time i see a marcher actually take action against a taunting outside force. not doing anything about it would only justify the negative stereotypical traits of band geeks. marchers these days take their duties way too seriously as if it were actually a huge part of their lives, it's nice to see something unconventional in an extremely conventional/traditional activity such as marching.
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri May 16, 2008 8:49 am

If you want to see a "trippy" youtube video, then this is the one to see...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wdZfiwdZWxo
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.