gah!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

AcowIntheHills[:
New Recruit
New Recruit

gah!

Post by AcowIntheHills[: » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:51 pm

okay, so my school switched over to weighted grades this year. however, with two classes of band (due to marching), g.p.a.s have suffered. what do you think about the district punishing those who are involved in extracurriculars?
In the immortal words of Ryan Anderson, "Can I get a yes please?!"

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: gah!

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:52 pm

AcowIntheHills[: wrote:okay, so my school switched over to weighted grades this year. however, with two classes of band (due to marching), g.p.a.s have suffered. what do you think about the district punishing those who are involved in extracurriculars?
How have grades "suffered"?

AcowIntheHills[:
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by AcowIntheHills[: » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:53 pm

grade point averages have suffered because with AP classes weighing in at a 5, while all non-AP classes weighing in at a 4, gpas are lowered.

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:38 pm

If your gpa is weighted shouldn't it boost it....?

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:51 pm

I don't quite see the problem.

When you apply to college you have to recalculate your gpa anyhow:
U.C.'s, for example, only count academic classes, and (regardless of weather your high school weighted them or not) weights your top 8 semester grades (in qualifying classes). They also only take 6, I believe, grades per semester (don't worry you can get the necessary requirements in 7/8th periods, it just doesn't go to your gpa).
*I might be a little off with exactly how the UC does it, someone correct if they know...but I know my general concept is correct.

The fight for valedictorian (oo it can be nasty) is generally done on a re-adjusted scale as well(and if its not then tell your admin and they'll change it to such).

The only situation I can see where it might harm you is in class rank (for applying to a private college). This rank will be based upon whatever classes your school counts in your "academic gpa" and thus might be lower than your rank according to the gpa system of the school you're applying to.

BTW:My school does weighted grades, and yeah, I'm in this over 4.0 group as well.

*By suffer I assume the OP refers to the fact that now, IN COMPARISON to his peers, his gpa has suffered because his wealth un-weighted classes lowers his average gpa (which would therefore be above 4.0....
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:48 pm

AcowIntheHills[: wrote:grade point averages have suffered because with AP classes weighing in at a 5, while all non-AP classes weighing in at a 4, gpas are lowered.
No they are NOT "lowered" ... examples:
If you got an A in a regular class, you got 4 grade points.
If you got straight A's in 6 classes, you would have a GPA of 4.0
If you are in 4 regular classes, and 2 AP/Honor's classes and got all A's, your GPA would be 4+4+4+4+5+5 divided by 6 = 4.333

NOTHING changes for the "regular" class students ... however, the AP/Honors students have an opportunity to raise their GPA. Typically AP/Honors classes are harder, thus a B grade in those classes is actually an A grade in a regular class. THAT is the one thing that freeks some parents and students who only look at letter grade versus grade points.

Best example I can give you is my daughter:
Regular classes taken - 30 semesters (26 A's, 6 B's)
26x4.0 + 4x3.0 = 116/30 = 3.86 GPA in "regular" classes
plus AP/Honors classes taken - 14 semesters (7 A's, 5 B's, 2 C's)
7x5.0 + 5x4.0 + 2X3.0 = 68/14 = 4.35 in AP/Honors classes
Combined weighted GPA is = 35+124+18/44 = 177/44 = Weighted 4.02 GPA
If all classes were regular then her GPA would be:
38x4.0 + 6x3.0 = 170/44 = Unweighted 3.86 GPA
(which is exactly the same as the first group above without the AP/Honors!)

And for those of you interested, her C's were in A/P Calculus. What's interesting is she scored a 5 on the AP Calculus Exam. So GPA isn't a true measure of what you've learned.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:05 am

She means he feels that they are lowered in that if she did not choose to take on the work of extra non-weighted classes, her gpa would be higher. Therefore, it is because she does take band that his gpa is reduced. The fact that her school recently switched to weighted gpas this year is irrelevant to her point. It might as well been forever.

And in answer to her question, the district is not punishing you. That's just what a gpa is by definition. It becomes your decision whether or not you want to make an attempt at valedictorian with a higher gpa or have the extracurricular boost for your college applications. It's ultimately your decision, not theirs.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:And for those of you interested, her C's were in A/P Calculus. What's interesting is she scored a 5 on the AP Calculus Exam. So GPA isn't a true measure of what you've learned.
Yeah... I got Bs in calculus AB and in BC as well and got 5s on both tests... It kinda annoyed me because one of the "Bs" was really an 89.41 and my teacher refused to give me an A-... after she knew I got a 5 on the test! But anyways....

You GPA isn't lowered, but you also can't get as high of a weighted GPA if you were taking 2 band classes as opposed to 2 APs. But... GPA isn't everything when it comes to college... band will look quite good on your resume when you apply! So think of it that way...
Soldiering On!

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:46 am

I got a 5 on my AP English and a 4 on AP Government. I don't know how I did so good on Government because BSed my way through the whole course. English was my only really strong subject, I suck at Math. Speaking of weighted GPA's my friend actually graduated with a GPA of 4.7 or something outrageous, but she was also valedictorian of her class.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 am

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote: ... It kinda annoyed me because one of the "Bs" was really an 89.41 and my teacher refused to give me an A-... after she knew I got a 5 on the test! But anyways....
Teachers are not suppose to GIVE you grades. You are suppose to EARN them. Also, it depends on how your grading scale is set.
A 90 when I was in school was not an "A-." It was a "B+." I believe an "A-" was 93-94%, an "A" was 95-98%, and an "A+" was 99-100%. I believe mine was a 7-point grading scale. I have also been graded on the 10-point system. In college, it can vary from test to test in the same course, other wise known as the "weed out" classes.

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Charles is correct that the bell curve was and is different from school to school and class to class, and has changed historically. We didn't have AP classes in my day ... they were called MGM (Mentally Gifted Minor) courses. The grading was still on a 4.0 system but the curve was shifted so 85% or higher was an A grade; 75% was a B; etc. Basically this was a way of weighting.

The thing that irks me about the C grades in my daughter's AP Calc class is the students were promised by the teacher that their scoring % would increase 10% if they received a 4 or 5 on the AP Exam ... he never made good on the promise. (A Chemistry teacher made the same promise and DID follow through). She would have had a high B if this had happened, and at this point in the game these two class grades are the reason she is #2 in her class by .003. The Valedectorian race can be important when a student is trying for scholarships and honors college. Also, the teacher's method of grading is different than the other math teachers at her school (but probably more in line with college courses). Homework and classwork counted for 5%; quizes (one a week) counted for 10%; the mid term was 40%; the final was 45%. Mess up one test, and sorry. In her case, she received a 94% on the final but the midterm was 66% PLUS the midterm questions included second and fourth quarter "feeler" questions about sections they had not yet learned! That just isn't "right" somehow ... a test is supposed to be a test on what you learned, not what you might know or will learn in the future. Personally I think he would be better off changing how he grades rather than rely on the AP Exam score to "correct" any disparities.

In the long run it probably doesn't matter, but the whole thing it has left a less than favorable memory.

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 pm

I think someone may have said this already but if a kid is straight A's in AP courses, he gets and extra point in his GPA allowing him/her to have a GPA over 4.0. If he's in band, he only gets 4 points. He could potentially drop band and take an extra AP course, score an "A" and watch his GPA soar.

At Damien HS we boast academic success and college admissions, kids going to Westpoint, Yale, harvard, Stanford, yadda yadda yadda...but we have a counseling team that gets it. At the extreme levels of "smartdom", all the kids have a 4.5 and all the kids have a near perfect SAT. Admissions are looking at activities to help differentiate the uber-smarties. Sticking with Band for 4 years, in addition to the 4.5 GPA and test scores make a kid look BETTER than a 4.6 GPA and no activities. I've seen this several times. Trust me. We've had kids turn down an AP for the activity for college admissions.

Sorta punished, but it's ok. We're adding honors band next year for those who really care, and are really dedicated and advanced in their playing. It's kind of silly though, because most colleges are not looking at weighted scores. HA. Oh well.

They should just give out big GOLD STARS for the kids who really love their grades.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:24 pm

The Aceman wrote:I don't know how I did so good on Government because BSed my way through the whole course.
Don't worry, you're not alone. Studies show that 90% of American politicians did so to. :wink:
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:29 pm

BD94Euph wrote:...
At the extreme levels of "smartdom", all the kids have a 4.5 and all the kids have a near perfect SAT. Admissions are looking at activities to help differentiate the uber-smarties.

They should just give out big GOLD STARS for the kids who really love their grades.
We just went to a County Office of Education Awards ceremony. They chose 7 students for the county "All Academic Team". It was based almost completely on GPA and SAT scores. Every single one of them has a perfect 2400 SAT and a GPA of 4.6 or higher. My daughter said that a more "well rounded choice would have been someone who has a life." ROFLOL!

I truly believe she got the scholarships, grants and into the colleges she chose because of her activities over and above her academics since community service and leadership experience was stressed over and over and over in the applications. So, balance AP and things like Scouts, Band, Cheer, ASB, church, community organizations and volunteer work and you'll do well.

As far as the gold stars, thats sort of how she felt at the Awards. She got a 4" trophy, a free rubber chicken dinner and her name listed in the newspaper. She said "Don't get me wrong mom ... but they could have spent the money on people who needed it." Lord I have a good kid!

AcowIntheHills[:
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by AcowIntheHills[: » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:18 pm

yeah, it is just frustrating because the whole weighted thing being unfair has been brought to the district's attention and they immeadiately shunned the idea for the person who decided on weighted grades is a little egotistical.

and punished wasn't the correct word, more like unrewarded.

oh well, my gpa is gonna (yes, AP english has taught me so well) take a major hit since i have three electives plus economics next year >.< good bye valectdictorian! :cry: