Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #9 - February, 2008

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Jsaxm wrote:So, how are we supposed to know if we got it right or not?
For the first two questions, I replied to each wrong answer and invited the person to guess again. From here on out, you'll know if you got it right once the answer is posted. Occasionally I will drop little hints like "Only 0/1/2 right answers so far" which might prompt you to revisit the question and do more research.
Jsaxm wrote:You said you are going to post number 4 soon, but I don't even know when number 3 is over. If we PM you the right answer will you let us know we got it right or do we just wait and see? I don't want to move on to four if I don't know the results of 3....
Two questions will never be open at the same time. One question's answer will always be posted before the next question is asked, and when the answer is posted that question is officially closed. It's really pretty straight-forward for me: if your PM to me has a timestamp of before the answer was posted, it counts, if it's after, it doesn't not count.

Fieldshowqueen summed it up well. You should listen to her: she's won god-knows how many of these trivia contests and is leading this one (hint). :cool: Scores will be posted tomorrow, after the answer to Q#4 is posted.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Correct Answer for #3: Slovenia

Formerly part of Yugoslavia. The hint I gave (the CD webpage on Amazon.com) was a recording by the Ljubljana Symphony Orchestra; Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia.

Question #4 coming right up.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:59 pm

TRIVIA QUESTION #4
Name this state (hint: it's not "the final frontier"--that's outer space--but it's close):

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:11 pm

Correct Answer for #4: Alaska

About the hint: "The Final Frontier" refers to outer space, but "The Last Frontier" is Alaska's state nickname.

Question #5 coming up in a bit.

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Whew, thank God I sent a follow up email. I had that one wrong at first, haha!!
You just can't encourage stupidity

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:12 pm

TRIVIA QUESTION #5
Name this African country (hint: God Bless Africa... with two "uh"s not one):

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:07 pm

Hint v.2.0: make sure your country matches the second part of the first hint. ;)

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:35 am

Hostrauser wrote:Hint v.2.0: make sure your country matches the second part of the first hint. ;)
Let me address some of the incorrect answers in hopes of getting a few more correct answers before I close this question...

Hint v.3.0: South Africa does not have two "uh" sounds in its name.
Hint v.3.1: Nor does Somalia.
Hint v.3.2: The United States of America is not an African country.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:15 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:Hint v.2.0: make sure your country matches the second part of the first hint. ;)
Let me address some of the incorrect answers in hopes of getting a few more correct answers before I close this question...

Ms. Teen South Carolina might disagree ... :wink:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 am

Correct Answer for #5: Tanzania

Pronounced TAN-zuh-nee-uh. The first clue was the landscape: wide-open savanna with elephants in the bottom center, land that's indicative of southern or eastern Africa, not western, northern or most of central Africa.

The second clue was "God Bless Africa." It's the national anthem of Tanzania, South Africa, and Zambia. Of those, only Tanzania has two "uh" sounds in its pronunciation.

Question #6 coming up in a few hours.

Fluba
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fluba » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:20 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:

Ms. Teen South Carolina might disagree ... :wink:
But think of the children in the Africa that need maps to learn that the education everywhere like such as what the U.S. Americans learn.

Ok, Im am now going to commence kicking my self for not following the oh so obvious clues in those hints.

Aaaannd! *kick*
That Flute playin' Tuba guy...

This is why Tubas rule

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:16 pm

TRIVIA QUESTION #6
Name this North American city...

Hint: it's home to a Major League Baseball team, and you can just see a portion of the baseball stadium on the left side of the picture.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:01 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Correct Answer for #5: Tanzania

Pronounced TAN-zuh-nee-uh. The first clue was the landscape: wide-open savanna with elephants in the bottom center, land that's indicative of southern or eastern Africa, not western, northern or most of central Africa.

The second clue was "God Bless Africa." It's the national anthem of Tanzania, South Africa, and Zambia. Of those, only Tanzania has two "uh" sounds in its pronunciation.

The "Rep-uh-blic of South Afric-uh" has two uh's in it as well, but I digress.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:25 am

The Aceman wrote:
You know ... Ace has got a point (as hard as that is for me to admit ... kidding! kidding!) ... I came close to saying South Africa (with the Republic) but from Host's second set saying it was incorrect, changed my mind.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:52 am

The Aceman wrote:

Considering the "conventional long form" of a country's name is used almost solely for treaties and legal documentation, I'm not sure why you thought it would apply here. Ask a person in London what it's like living in the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" and they'll probably look at you askance for a second.

Regardless, the picture is still of Tanzania, and the picture will always be the final arbiter.

To reduce future confusion, I will go ahead and state that I will always be using the conventional short form of a nation's name.