The official 2008 Presidential Election Thread!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Who are you voting for/supporting?

Hillary Clinton
24%
John McCain
30%
Barack Obama
31%
Ron Paul
15%

Total votes: 54

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:12 pm

horns2thebachs wrote:I support Ron Paul too. However, as much as I don't want to admit it, he really is unelectable. He is simply too conservative..not to mention he doesn't have the support from his party(see weird looks cast by other candidates at almost every single debate).

The real problem is that even though San Diego is a strong Republican base, California is still going to vote Democratic. That's why I'm going to vote for Obama, and you should too, because every vote for him is one less vote for Hillary!

Don't even get me started on why you should NOT vote for her :roll:
Too conservative? He's the least conservative of all the republican candidates. BTW, why let what other people are going to vote for influence your vote? Vote for who you want, if you vote based on others votes then we will just keep getting the same crap we've been getting for years, Two Major parties with the rules all stacked in their favor.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Ron Paul Unveils a REAL Economic Stimulus Plan

Post by The Aceman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:17 pm

Thought I would post this since it is relevant to our economic discussion, this is from the ronpaul2008.com website:

Four-pronged approach will strengthen the economy by reforming taxes, cutting spending, improving monetary policy and eliminating burdensome regulations

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 24, 2008

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA –Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul has unveiled a comprehensive economic revitalization package. The four-pronged plan is designed to stem the current economic slide and address the unsound governmental policies that are harming Americans’ pocketbooks.

“Real economic reform must address the underlying reasons for the current economic malaise,” said Ron Paul. “This plan is more than just a band-aid for our economy; it fundamentally reforms four areas where government policies are damaging our national economy. When enacted, my plan will provide both short-term stimulus, and lay the groundwork for long-term prosperity.”

The comprehensive economic revitalization plan is available online at: http://www.RonPaul2008.com/Prosperity.

The four areas that the plan covers are:

1. Tax Reform: Reduce the tax burden and eliminate taxes that punish investment and savings, including job-killing corporate taxes.

2. Spending Reform: Eliminate wasteful spending. Reduce overseas commitments. Freeze all non-defense, non-entitlement spending at current levels.

3. Monetary Policy Reform: Expand openness with the Federal Reserve and require the Fed to televise its meetings. Return value to our money.

4. Regulatory Reform: Repeal Sarbanes/Oxley regulations that push companies to seek capital outside of US markets. Stop restricting community banks from fostering local economic growth.

Congressman Paul has written or co-sponsored numerous bills to enact the policies in his plan. In Congress, he has been a champion of lower taxes and limited government.

Congressman Paul is the ranking member on the House Financial Services Committee's Subcommittee on Domestic and International Monetary Policy, Trade, and Technology. In Congress, Dr. Paul has never voted for a tax increase or for an unbalanced budget.

Read the full article »

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:14 pm

The Aceman wrote:
horns2thebachs wrote:I support Ron Paul too. However, as much as I don't want to admit it, he really is unelectable. He is simply too conservative..not to mention he doesn't have the support from his party(see weird looks cast by other candidates at almost every single debate).

The real problem is that even though San Diego is a strong Republican base, California is still going to vote Democratic. That's why I'm going to vote for Obama, and you should too, because every vote for him is one less vote for Hillary!

Too conservative? He's the least conservative of all the republican candidates. BTW, why let what other people are going to vote for influence your vote? Vote for who you want, if you vote based on others votes then we will just keep getting the same crap we've been getting for years, Two Major parties with the rules all stacked in their favor.
Are you kidding me? Ron Paul has run for president as a Libertarian before. You're telling me that Giuliani who is pro-choice is more conservative than Ron Paul? BTW, you want you're vote to matter...right?

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:44 pm

horns2thebachs wrote:
The Aceman wrote:

Are you kidding me? Ron Paul has run for president as a Libertarian before. You're telling me that Giuliani who is pro-choice is more conservative than Ron Paul?
Yes he is conservative in certain areas, but he also very unconservative in others. He is the ONLY republican candidate to oppose the War in Iraq. He also opposes the PATRIOT act (which the entire republican party is split on), and also the ONLY republican candidate to oppose the War on Drugs. Which is an exceedingly Liberal point of view. During Giuliani's mayoralty he oversaw major crackdowns on illegal drugs, especially marijuana. He also indicated that he will continue to arrest, prosecute, and imprison patients who use medical marijuana. A very conservative approach. Sure if you take a look at one specific position you could call him conservative, but I think most liberals would support Paul's positions (if not Paul himself) over any other Republican candidate.
horns2thebachs wrote:BTW, you want you're vote to matter...right?
That's exactly the attitude I'm talking about, if people would stop taking that approach Ron Paul would have a much better chance. Luckily, I think more people are realizing it doesn't matter what the media or others think and they CAN make a difference. Why do you think Paul has set records for fundraising? Why do you think so many Ron Paul supporters are speaking out and fighting the traditional system? If we want real change we need to break America out of it's political mold, and with the disaster known as the Bush administration it has opened people's eyes.

Edit: I forgot to point out earlier that Ron Paul did get second in the San Diego County Republican Straw Poll 23.3% of the votes.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:15 pm

While it may not be the same message, Ross Perot actually opened up the third party can of worms when he ran in 1992, and some say, that cost the Republicans. Just like Aceman says, if more people would stop with the "mean something" angle, perhaps we COULD enact change. But the current model of how this country is being run, or how it WOULD be run if Shillary or Osama Barak Borat Suerte De Los Tontos (whatever his name is), is simply not acceptable. There HAS to be change.

Or we're sunk.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:29 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:While it may not be the same message, Ross Perot actually opened up the third party can of worms when he ran in 1992, and some say, that cost the Republicans. Just like Aceman says, if more people would stop with the "mean something" angle, perhaps we COULD enact change. But the current model of how this country is being run, or how it WOULD be run if Shillary or Osama Barak Borat Suerte De Los Tontos (whatever his name is), is simply not acceptable. There HAS to be change.

Or we're sunk.
I think a HUGE step in the right direction would be enacting the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, unfortunately if it is enacted it likely won't be before this election.

Gonzofoto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gonzofoto » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Shillary or Osama Barak Borat Suerte De Los Tontos
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Please, no more insinuations.

Also, I remember the candidacy of John Anderson in 1980, when I was still a kid, and I seem to recall that he came from a Republican background.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:19 pm

Gonzofoto wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:Shillary or Osama Barak Borat Suerte De Los Tontos
Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Please, no more insinuations.

Also, I remember the candidacy of John Anderson in 1980, when I was still a kid, and I seem to recall that he came from a Republican background.
Barack Hussein Obama, no insinuation there, just fact. :wink: Just trying to lighten things up.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:59 am

I can't understand why Hillary has 6 votes. How can you vote for someone who is constantly changing their political position, someone who lies, cheats and steals? I guess name recognition goes a long way, unfortunately it's that same name recognition that gave us 8 years of Bush Jr.

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 pm

My dad and I had a huge debate about this today haha. Who he likes, who he doesn't and who he supports but thinks will still lose regardless. I love how I'm the only one who is supporting Huckabee :). My dad so far says he's the only one who agrees with most of our morales but doesn't have that factor of appeal to everybody. Romney is alright though I guess. Any democrat for my dad is a no. And...oh McCain is a wannabe Democrat but a Republican hehe.

I dunno much about politics at all but that's pretty much my dad's and my debate in a little paragraph haha.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:24 pm

i love how this has turned into a ron paul vs the wolrd thread.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:35 pm

Two things. First off, Ryan, I really hope this was just a slip of the keyboard and not a cleverly concealed attack on the "Honorable" Mrs. Clinton:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:The only redeeming quality is whatever you eluded to about arts education.
And second, para mi, I would like to see McCain win the Republican primary, and then go on to win the Election. I say this as an admitted Democrat. Why? Because I agree with you all, McCain is NOT a Republican (he just doesn't seem to realize it).
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:59 pm

aandm wrote:i love how this has turned into a ron paul vs the wolrd thread.
Not my fault if no one else wants to speak out. Or if no one else feels as passionately about their candidates. I would find it hard to passionate about any other candidate too.

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:13 pm

HAHA no, for example i feel very passionately about anther candidate whose name i wont mention. Some of us however dont believe in pushing their political views onto others. For example, you said Ron Paul is the most conservative republican candidate. But some of his views regarding Iraq and the economy are exceedingly liberal. He has claimed that he has contemplating switching to the democratic party... how conservative can you be in that party? Not very. So, everycandidate has his faults and information about each candidate can be skewed by the general public. I think it best to hear the words right out of the candidates mouth's rather than from an outside source so no offense but what you say about Ron Paul holds no credibility with me. Like they said, Obama is a radical Muslim right? Oh and Huckabee wants to make america 100% Catholic. Romney believes in Polygamy and Hilary's health care plan is going to bankrupt America.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:46 pm

aandm wrote:HAHA no, for example i feel very passionately about anther candidate whose name i wont mention. Some of us however dont believe in pushing their political views onto others. For example, you said Ron Paul is the most conservative republican candidate. But some of his views regarding Iraq and the economy are exceedingly liberal. He has claimed that he has contemplating switching to the democratic party... how conservative can you be in that party? Not very. So, everycandidate has his faults and information about each candidate can be skewed by the general public. I think it best to hear the words right out of the candidates mouth's rather than from an outside source so no offense but what you say about Ron Paul holds no credibility with me. Like they said, Obama is a radical Muslim right? Oh and Huckabee wants to make america 100% Catholic. Romney believes in Polygamy and Hilary's health care plan is going to bankrupt America.
Actually, if you read the thread more carefully, I said the exact opposite, I said he was the LEAST conservative republican. And I am more liberal than conservative myself. I'm not pushing my political views on others, just giving reasons why I support Ron Paul over other candidates. I never said anything nearly as ridiculous as "Obama is a radical Muslim right? Oh and Huckabee wants to make america 100% Catholic. Romney believes in Polygamy and Hilary's health care plan is going to bankrupt America."