WOP Fast Food Place of the Year

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Which is your favorite "fast" food chain?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 am

Chipotle Grill
17%
In-n-Out
54%
Baja Fresh
No votes
Sonic
6%
McDonald's
3%
El Pollo Loco
6%
Del Taco
6%
Jack in the Box
6%
Carl's Jr.
No votes
Chick-fil-A
3%

Total votes: 35

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:58 pm

Whoa I didn't know so many people hated in-n-outs fries. They're my favorite. And how are they not real? You see them made from potatoes right in front of your face! I think they're soooo good. Favorite fries hands down.
Along with Nations Giant Burgers. That's our after-football-games-hangout in Benicia. They're the only place in town open past 8 or 9 besides some fast food places. My friends and I go there wayyy too much. I love their cheese fries! 1.50 for a plate of fries with two pieces of barely melted slices of american cheese on top haha.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:If you live in southern California, and you DIDN'T vote for In 'N Out...YOU ARE NO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIAN, and I would invite you to leave as soon as you possibly can. Pack your bags. Take a hike. Hasta la pasta.
Screw In-n-Out. What's this? Another burger joint? Oh yeah, real original. :cool:

Yeah, okay... so their burgers are better than most. But when your entire menu has only five items, OF COURSE you're going to be good at them. ;) And maybe I'M the heretic, but I'm pretty WTF over their fries. Everyone else gushes over them like they're the best thing since chocolate jesus, but I don't find them any better (or worse) than fresh fries from McDonald's or Weinerschnitzel. (But they're sliced straight from the potato!! So? BFD. :roll:)
actually there are a bunch of different variations you can have on those things.

but really... there's not much variety to any burger joint's menu.
just different shlop on the same meat and patty.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:29 pm

In-n-out has tons of variations. Next time, go in and ask for a Flying Dutchman and be amazed.
The employees at In-N-Out will do virtually anything to your burger and fries if you ask them to. Seriously. Ask for a 2x4, median rare with grilled onions, well done Animal Style fries and a root beer float and that's exactly what you get.

press.enter
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by press.enter » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:32 pm

i can't stand the smell of in n out. well not anymore. D:
... and boom.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:07 am

Hostrauser wrote:Screw In-n-Out. What's this? Another burger joint? Oh yeah, real original. :cool:

Yeah, okay... so their burgers are better than most. But when your entire menu has only five items, OF COURSE you're going to be good at them. ;) And maybe I'M the heretic, but I'm pretty WTF over their fries. Everyone else gushes over them like they're the best thing since chocolate jesus, but I don't find them any better (or worse) than fresh fries from McDonald's or Weinerschnitzel. (But they're sliced straight from the potato!! So? BFD. :roll:)
I agree with this 100%. I used to LOVE in-n-out but now im over it. The hamburgers are good--yes... but other than that it's nothing special. I don't like the smell of the place either...
Soldiering On!

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:23 am

I agree that In-n-out's fries suck, but I also hate del-taco's fries (or any fat crinkly fry for that matter). My favorite fries are the curly fries from Arby's, not those cheap imitation ones that Jack in the Box has. And their homestyle fries aren't bad either, yup Arby's gets the fry trophy in my book. I don't mind Wendy's fries either. The only place that can rival In-n-out when it comes to burgers in SoCal is Fatburger, that place is delicious if you haven't been there you need to check it out, a bit on the pricey side though.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:18 am

We just lost our one decent American restaurant in Saigon on New Years Eve (Texas Bar BQ on Pasteur Street in District 3). It was decent because, unlike the fancy hotels, everything was priced where even the no so well to do Vietnamese could afford to eat there.

Now we have the following choices for fast food:
-KFC
-Jollibee (Philippines based company, extremely SLOW service)
-Lotteria (owned by the Lotte Candy Company of Japan, we get the Korean version of their menu... all the hamburgers are smothered in bulgogi sauce...)
-Pizza Hut
-Pizza Inn (mostly around Texas in the States, they have three locations in HCMC)

Knowing these are our choices. I choose KFC. It's the only place where you get non-free range chicken (free range chicken tastes like whatever it eats). The menu is almost identical to the menu Kentucky Fried Chicken had in the late 1960s-early 1970s and the prices are extremely low. When they serve rice, they give HUGE portions. When they serve mashed potatoes, they give you two spoonfuls. (They give you a teeny tiny spoon to eat them!)

Pizzas here are miniatures of what they are in America. A large pizza is only 14 inches. A small is 10 inches. The Pizza Hut Pan Pizza is really tiny.

We are getting McDonald's in April. While this isn't my favorite burger, I am a former employee and cannot complain too much about what they do. I have a feeling the burgers will be miniature versions of what they have in America. But, it will be of the same quality sold everywhere else in the world and most of the expats (short for "expatriates") can hardly wait for McD's to open, considering we just lost Texas on Pasteur.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:19 am

I used to LOVE a place in East County (San Diego) called Beef n' Bun. They had awesome burgers and shakes. Then In-n-Out was a classic road trip thing (never really ate it often otherwise).

Here in San Luis Obispo, there's a local chain called "Taco De Mexico" with three locations. They make DIVINE Chile Relleno, but the rest of their stuff is only OK. My favorite place for Horchata, "Lo Mejor De Aculpoco" closed last year.

In any case, I don't eat out anymore, so it doesn't matter much.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:18 pm

We had a place in the desert where I grew up called Steve's Burgers. Man, that place was sooo good. It was one of those greasy spoon drive through only places where you could get burgers, burritos, breakfst iems, anything you wanted and time of the day.

I remember their breakfast burritos, they were so big and they were so good. Everytime I go back to visit my parents I have to stop by and get one of those burritos, haha.
You just can't encourage stupidity

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 pm

There is this restaurant by my school that serves the BEST burgers and fries i have ever eaten. Its slightly expensive but it is comparable to the other eateries in the area. I think the reason why their burgers are pretty tasty is that they use chuck steak cuts for all their burgers
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:13 pm

If you're ever in Utah stop by a joint called Taco Time, delicious. Taco Bell, Del Taco, and all those places don't stand a chance against Taco Time.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:22 pm

*gavomit*

They have Taco Time in NorCal. It's not that great. Better than Jimboy's (just about anything is), but not that great.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Taco time

Post by JCYS » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Hostrauser wrote:*gavomit*

They have Taco Time in NorCal. It's not that great. Better than Jimboy's (just about anything is), but not that great.
Taco Time & JimBoys :vomit:

Makes Taco Bell & Del Taco look like a 5 star restaurant :lol:

It's a standing joke between my wife and I, we drive past the Jimboys in Marysville everytime we go to Sacramento, and I say, "Hey, want to have dinner at JIMBOYS??" and we laugh uproariously at the thought....

jcys

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:43 pm

no In 'N Out in texas.....but they do have Whataburger (but that's not even close to In 'N Out status)
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:38 pm

Do local tacquerias count as fast food?
I mean theyre not chains, and so sometimes ppl have good local ones and sometimes they have bad ones, but the one near me is hell good :-).
that'd be my vote--if it counts anyhow......
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park