WOP Fast Food Place of the Year

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Which is your favorite "fast" food chain?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 am

Chipotle Grill
17%
In-n-Out
54%
Baja Fresh
No votes
Sonic
6%
McDonald's
3%
El Pollo Loco
6%
Del Taco
6%
Jack in the Box
6%
Carl's Jr.
No votes
Chick-fil-A
3%

Total votes: 35

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:44 am

Hostrauser wrote:*gavomit*

They have Taco Time in NorCal. It's not that great. Better than Jimboy's (just about anything is), but not that great.
I've never had Jimboy's, but anyone who doesn't love Taco Time is crazy in my book. It's by far the most popular taco chain in Utah. And their crisp meat burritos are to die for. Every time I'm in Vegas I always goto the Taco Time there (it's actually right by the In-n-out), when I was living in Salt Lake I would always goto In-n-out when in Vegas.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:10 pm

The Aceman wrote:I've never had Jimboy's, but anyone who doesn't love Taco Time is crazy in my book. It's by far the most popular taco chain in Utah.
No offense, but I trust Utah's opinion on Mexican food about as much as I trust Minnesota's opinion on Chinese food. ;) (And yes, I've been to both states.)

Once you're more than a hundred miles or so from the border, forget it ("Alpha" cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York are exempt from this rule). Even the family-owned Mexican restaurants in Sacramento pale compared to the ones in San Diego.

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:14 pm

I kind of agree with you on that one. My wife and I have been going up to Oregon the last few years and there is this little mexican place in Ashland. It is good, but it is nothing compared to the places we have here in Cali. I am not sure why this is, because the place is own and operated by a very nice Mexican family.
You just can't encourage stupidity

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:35 pm

Do local tacquerias count as fast food?
I mean theyre not chains, and so sometimes ppl have good local ones and sometimes they have bad ones, but the one near me is hell good
Are you thinking of Los Ranchitos? It's a small chain in the Inland Valley...extremely tasty Mexican food.

I think we can also all agree that our local hole-in-the-wall beats the chains every single time. The trick, of course, is finding the right hole. No, I can't believe I just typed that either.

I also can't believe we've gotten this far without anyone mentioning the original Philippe's in downtown. My wife and I jump on Metrolink just to get a French dip! (and a pickled egg...and chocolate cream pie...and a pig's foot for my dad)

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:56 pm

Chapagne wrote:
I mean theyre not chains, and so sometimes ppl have good local ones and sometimes they have bad ones, but the one near me is hell good
Are you thinking of Los Ranchitos? It's a small chain in the Inland Valley...extremely tasty Mexican food.
I think we have one here in Temecula. I'm not sure of the name but sounds pretty familiar. It is pretty good mexican food. My dad sometimes goes there for lunch. Really good stuff though.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Chapagne wrote:

I think we can also all agree that our local hole-in-the-wall beats the chains every single time. The trick, of course, is finding the right hole. No, I can't believe I just typed that either.

I also can't believe we've gotten this far without anyone mentioning the original Philippe's in downtown. My wife and I jump on Metrolink just to get a French dip! (and a pickled egg...and chocolate cream pie...and a pig's foot for my dad)
Hahaha no, Its a family owned place called "Garcia's" and I've been going there since I was little kid. I've also eaten at a bunch of small places, some little chains, some not, as I go south to Santa Barbra and San Diego.
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:58 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
The Aceman wrote:I've never had Jimboy's, but anyone who doesn't love Taco Time is crazy in my book. It's by far the most popular taco chain in Utah.
No offense, but I trust Utah's opinion on Mexican food about as much as I trust Minnesota's opinion on Chinese food. ;) (And yes, I've been to both states.)

Once you're more than a hundred miles or so from the border, forget it ("Alpha" cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York are exempt from this rule). Even the family-owned Mexican restaurants in Sacramento pale compared to the ones in San Diego.
I was comparing it to other fast food chains such as taco bell and del taco, I think its much better than both. I've definetely had better mexican in SoCal than you can find at Taco Time.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

WHATABURGER

Post by LoyalTubist » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:15 am

I went to graduate school in Texas.

After playing for TubaChristmas in Fort Worth in 1989, I took my family to a nearby Whataburger for lunch.

My three year old daughter never liked condiments on her sandwiches. She was happy with bread and meat, sometimes cheese.

So I ordered a "plain cheeseburger."

The plain cheeseburger came with ketchup, mustard, pickles, and onions. My little girl was ready to scream bloody murder.

The clerk said, "But I gave you a 'plain cheeseburger.' Our plain cheeseburger has all the condiments."

Realizing there was a language barrier, I explained the California definition of a "plain cheeseburger."

"Oh... You mean you wanted it DRY!!!"

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Rethought

Post by JCYS » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:51 pm

OK, hate to revive this thread....but...based on Hostrausers recommendation...

last night I was in Chico so I went to Chipotle Grill for the 2nd time...

well, it was better than I remember, but I still don't think its all that great...very, very limited menu....and I tell them I want a DAB of sour cream and guac, and I got basically a sour cream and guac taco with a bit of meat on it...cold because of the guac and sour cream.

I still think Baja Fresh has a bigger and better menu (including Mahi tacos...my favorite..)

But it wasn't as yuch as I remember from the first time..

BTW>>>I tried 3 of their meats...carnitas, steak and barbacoa...and from what I could find under all that stuff...they were well flavored...

Also...I am not a big eater...not that you could tell by looking at me...and I didn't like having to buy 3 tacos...one would have been plenty...

JCYS

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:53 pm

What?! No FATBURGER?! :(

RIGGED!!!!! :x
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:54 pm

pittech wrote:What?! No FATBURGER?! :(

RIGGED!!!!! :x
It's okay, Fatburger got it's own thread all to itself.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Rethought

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:12 pm

JCYS wrote:BTW>>>I tried 3 of their meats...carnitas, steak and barbacoa...and from what I could find under all that stuff...they were well flavored...
Ironically, I think their chicken is the best. I always get a chicken burrito.

JCYS wrote:Also...I am not a big eater...not that you could tell by looking at me...and I didn't like having to buy 3 tacos...one would have been plenty...
Then you should've just ordered one. :cool:

Chipotle is kind of like In 'n' Out in that they will make whatever you ask for out of their ingredients, even stuff that's not on the menu. You can order just one taco, or quesadillas, or other stuff that you imagine up on the spot.

I can't argue against Baja Fresh having a bigger menu, but that's not an important area for me. What Chipotle does, I feel, they do very well.

In related fast food news, rumor has it that KFC is about to undergo a major reorganization and transform into a restaurant of broader scope (i.e., it won't just be all about chicken any more). That same rumor suggests that they will start offering turkey, ham, roast beef, and a wider variety of side dishes (sounds like they're honing in on Boston Market's turf).

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:35 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
JCYS wrote:BTW>>>I tried 3 of their meats...carnitas, steak and barbacoa...and from what I could find under all that stuff...they were well flavored...

JCYS wrote:Also...I am not a big eater...not that you could tell by looking at me...and I didn't like having to buy 3 tacos...one would have been plenty...

Chipotle is kind of like In 'n' Out in that they will make whatever you ask for out of their ingredients, even stuff that's not on the menu. You can order just one taco, or quesadillas, or other stuff that you imagine up on the spot.

I can't argue against Baja Fresh having a bigger menu, but that's not an important area for me. What Chipotle does, I feel, they do very well.

In related fast food news, rumor has it that KFC is about to undergo a major reorganization and transform into a restaurant of broader scope (i.e., it won't just be all about chicken any more). That same rumor suggests that they will start offering turkey, ham, roast beef, and a wider variety of side dishes (sounds like they're honing in on Boston Market's turf).
OK, fair enough, but I'm an old guy...I can't get used to this you can order stuff not on the menu idea...

Actually, I did have some of their chicken today...one of my daughters leftover tacos. It was ok. I'm not big on chicken from restauraunts...I've gotten food poisoning twice in my life...once at Lyons and once at Olive Garden...both times from ordering chicken....mind you, I still like a good El Pollo Loco....

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:06 pm

Hostrauser wrote:

I didn't know Boston Market was still around, I used to love going there when I was younger, good eats.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:57 pm

The Aceman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:

I didn't know Boston Market was still around, I used to love going there when I was younger, good eats.
oh yeah. there's one a few miles from me. i don't think it's as good as it used to be though.