Flute Rust

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Zeke

Flute Rust

Post by Zeke » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:11 pm

I purchased a flute about a year ago (still need to learn how to play it) and I've checked it recently, and there is some rust-looking stuff on 2 of the keys... So I wanted to know, does anybody at all have good advice for how to deal with this? I don't want the flute to be further damaged.

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Rust huh? It the "stuff" on the outside of the keys or on the pads? Do you happen to know what the flute is made out of? Nickel? Silver? Other? I highly doubt that it's rust.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: Flute Rust

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:56 am

Zeke wrote:I purchased a flute about a year ago (still need to learn how to play it) and I've checked it recently, and there is some rust-looking stuff on 2 of the keys... So I wanted to know, does anybody at all have good advice for how to deal with this? I don't want the flute to be further damaged.
Well on my marching flute i have these silver dots... they don't look like rust but there are quite a few of them... is this what you're talking about?
Soldiering On!

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 am

Post a picture of it. The photo has to be somewhere on the internet so you can link to it. If you want to use your photos, sign up for a free account at a site like photobucket.com and upload your photos there. Then copy the URL to the photo you want to add to a posting here and use the BBcode buttons just above the text box where you enter your message. Click the "Img" button (second from the right) once, paste in the URL to your photo, then click the "Img" button again to close the BBcode link.

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:22 pm

It's silver (pretty sure) and its kinda a brown sort of coloration on the metal of a couple of the keys that wasn't there before.
Music, is in my opinion, the greatest thing that mankind has ever created.

Proud member of Riverside King Marching Band

French Horns rock, but then again, all musicians rock.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:46 pm

Zeke wrote:It's silver (pretty sure) and its kinda a brown sort of coloration on the metal of a couple of the keys that wasn't there before.
Sounds like tarnish ... which is normal for flutes. http://www.jennifercluff.com/care.htm#tarnish My sister played flute and had hers cleaned like this every 2 years.

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:29 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:
Zeke wrote:It's silver (pretty sure) and its kinda a brown sort of coloration on the metal of a couple of the keys that wasn't there before.
Sounds like tarnish ... which is normal for flutes. http://www.jennifercluff.com/care.htm#tarnish My sister played flute and had hers cleaned like this every 2 years.
Yes, the brown is most likely tarnish. Unfortunately, tarnish can only be removed by buffing the metal - either by hand or with a wheel. If your mechanism is plated buffing by wheel is not an option, as it will most likely remove all the plating. Buffing by hand can be done, but it is still risky and all the tarnish may not be removed.

I recommend wiping the instrument down - not leaving any fingerprints on it while it is in the case and placing a 3m tarnish strip in the case. The strip will not remove existing tarnish but will slow the tarnishing significantly. Tarnish strips should be changed every 3 months and can be purchased at most jewelry stores.

Please DO NOT use store purchased silver polish on the instrument. It is usually too abrasive for the fine polish used on flutes and you run the risk of getting it in the mechanism and causing damage.

Tarnish is going to happen on anything sterling silver but you can slow it down by always cleaning out the instrument, wiping it down and changing 3M strips regularly.