WOP MU#12: DECEMBER 2007

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

So Sad

Post by JCYS » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:06 am

Hostrauser wrote:Been to McDonald's recently? A large, 10 piece chicken McNuggets combo runs $7-$8. I ain't lovin' it THAT much. Carl's Jr., Arby's, J-Box, Chick-fil-A, KFC and LJS also run expensive (ie, $6+ to reasonably feed a person). Wendy's and Burger King are a little bit cheaper, Taco Bell even cheaper still, and Del Taco just might as well change their name to "Cheap Eats for College Kids here!"
One of the greatest things we are missing in the northstate...DEL TACO!!!!

Have to go to SAcramento or Davis for Del Taco. Dittos for El Pollo Loco (expensive for fast food....but WONDERFUL). At one time about 20 years ago they opened up an El Pollo Loco in Yuba City...it went out of business. Then they opened up a Foster Freeze/El Pollo Loco combo in Chico...now its a Jack in the Box. Oddly enough you can find Del Taco in Red Bluff and Redding, but there is a 120 mile DEL TACO GAP between Sacramento and Red Bluff. Terrible :cry:

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Jsaxm wrote:What places do you have around your school that it costs 8 bucks for a meal? I know that Jack in the Box can be kind of expensive, but I thought most of the other ones were pretty reasonable, around $4-$5.
small family owned restaurants that monopolize on students that want a walking distance eatery.
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: So Sad

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:02 pm

JCYS wrote:One of the greatest things we are missing in the northstate...DEL TACO!!!!

Have to go to SAcramento or Davis for Del Taco. Dittos for El Pollo Loco (expensive for fast food....but WONDERFUL). At one time about 20 years ago they opened up an El Pollo Loco in Yuba City...it went out of business. Then they opened up a Foster Freeze/El Pollo Loco combo in Chico...now its a Jack in the Box. Oddly enough you can find Del Taco in Red Bluff and Redding, but there is a 120 mile DEL TACO GAP between Sacramento and Red Bluff. Terrible :cry:
Ah, but there's a Chipotle in both Yuba City AND Chico... so really, what more can you ask for? :cool:

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:53 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:
The Aceman wrote:
mkosbie wrote:Hey now, play nice. There's nothing wrong with eating an entire pizza by yourself. If there was, why would they sell them in such large sizes? I mean, if the system was designed for each person to eat say, part of the pizza, wouldn't they sell only one pizza at a time?
There is a reason a large pizza at little ceasars costs the same as a meal deal at other fast food restraunts.
all the fast food restaurants near my school charge almost 8 bucks a meal without soda. I might as well buy a large 1 topping dominos and pick it up for 7 bucks.

Anyway, maybe when I'm 50 I'll eat like how some of the wealthy romans did! by inducing vomiting so I can taste more food when I'm full!
Yep ... that's my plan of action this time around for the ol' diet since I'm a wealthy Roman (j/k and NOT). Bad news that way on the esophagus front, and causes bone density issues, plus can get a bit expensive barfing up 3 meals in one sitting, but it does give your tummy more room for more good things to throw up.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:53 pm

Wait, so that's what a vomitorium is for?!?! This is almost as bad as the day I found out what chicken is made out of (hint: it doesn't quack).

As far as eating out, that's something I'm having to worry about less and less. It doesn't matter whether it's cheap or expensive if it's not Kosher (hint: there's no such thing as Kosher fast food).
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
JCYS wrote:One of the greatest things we are missing in the northstate...DEL TACO!!!!

Ah, but there's a Chipotle in both Yuba City AND Chico... so really, what more can you ask for? :cool:
Call me a heretic, but I did not care much for Chipotle Grill the one time I went, La Salsa was better (locations in Chico & Marysville) and my favorite of the 3 is Baja Fresh.

Chico does have an In & Out. Yuba City has a Sonic.

Oroville is getting our first chain resteraunt in like 20 years...an Applebees. Our City works VERY hard to keep out chain businesses...the reasonably new Home Depot had to go in outside the city limits..which is also not easy because the county tries to keep business focused on Chico.
In the 20 years ago and more (before I was here) O-ville had a Dennys, a Sizzler, Baskin Robbins, Golden Corral, etc, all long gone now. We do have Wendys, McD's, 2 Taco Bells, 2 Subways, Quiznos, Pizza Hut, Shakeys, Round Table...gotta go to Chico for Carl's Jrs. We had a city manager some years ago who let in Wal-Mart...he was fired.

You'd think the city would get the hint when everyone drives into Chico 2 -3 times a week to shop or eat, but apparently not.

Last summer there were confirmed deals that Starbucks, Jamba Juice and Gottschalks were all going into a newly renovated shopping center in O-ville...then they all pulled out. I wonder why?

Gotta love small towns.

JCYS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:57 pm

JCYS wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:Ah, but there's a Chipotle in both Yuba City AND Chico... so really, what more can you ask for? :cool:
Call me a heretic, but I did not care much for Chipotle Grill the one time I went, La Salsa was better (locations in Chico & Marysville) and my favorite of the 3 is Baja Fresh.
You, sir, are a heretic. Baja Fresh and La Salsa are barely "okay."

I'll take a Chipotle chicken burrito before just about any other fast food dish (except maybe an orange chicken/chicken with string beans combo from Panda Express).

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:20 am

JCYS wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
JCYS wrote: Chico does have an In & Out. Yuba City has a Sonic.
JCYS
SONIC. They ALWAYS show sonic commercials in the bay area... Which really has no purpose seeing how there isn't one anywhere around. I think there's one in Modesto or something.
Although the ads sort of work because my friends and I are probably going to take a road trip out somewhere just to eat at a Sonic.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:55 am

Hostrauser wrote:

Chipotle owns all.
Soldiering On!

321cg!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 321cg! » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:36 am

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:
Chipotle owns all.
Amen.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:10 am

I propose a "vote" for junk food place of the year! Nominations so far are:

Chipotle Grill
In N Out
Baja Fresh
Sonic
La Salsa
McD's
El Pollo Loco
Del Taco

Additions? Changes? Nomination period? Vote Day?
:lol:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:03 am

Ask and ye shall receive. New thread started (with poll!). Perhaps we should move this conversation over there? :cool:

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:07 am

Hostrauser wrote:Ask and ye shall receive. New thread started (with poll!). Perhaps we should move this conversation over there? :cool:

:bow:
... now ... can I ask for and receive a winning Powerball ticket?

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 am

guardthepiccolo wrote:
JCYS wrote:
Hostrauser wrote: SONIC. They ALWAYS show sonic commercials in the bay area... Which really has no purpose seeing how there isn't one anywhere around. I think there's one in Modesto or something.
Although the ads sort of work because my friends and I are probably going to take a road trip out somewhere just to eat at a Sonic.
Same thing here in Murrieta/Temecula. I believe the closest one is in San Diego or somewhere up north by Ontario. When we went up to Fresno for the summer for a wedding, they had a sonic about 5 minutes down the street from the hotel and my dad said we'll get it on the way out....we never did...he "forgot" and tried to look for one on the way home but no....gah! It's so mean why they do that out here haha.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

How?

Post by Jsaxm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 am

So how are these awards decided upon? Is it just whoever did this individual post, or is there a group of people who get together to decide on these. Not complaining, I know it is just for fun, but I am just really curious how this works. I just have never paid very much attention to it in the past.
You just can't encourage stupidity