An Undeniable Truth that will cause Disagreement...

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

reinix
Veteran
Veteran

Post by reinix » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:26 pm

pft. whatever.
haha.

i'll jingle your bells. :wink:
If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music in which he hears, however measured, or far away...

mellamo

Post by mellamo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:15 pm

LoyalTubist wrote:If you read the way they sing Jingle Bells here in Vietnam, you can see why I get tired of it BEFORE I hear it!

The language is English, as it's spoken here.
I don't know if I'm interpreting this right, but...

Are you trying to say that just because the Vietnamese people can't sing Jingle Bells right, they shouldn't sing it at all(or around you)?

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:22 pm

mellamo wrote:
LoyalTubist wrote:If you read the way they sing Jingle Bells here in Vietnam, you can see why I get tired of it BEFORE I hear it!

Are you trying to say that just because the Vietnamese people can't sing Jingle Bells right, they shouldn't sing it at all(or around you)?
I am sure he isn't saying this.
You just can't encourage stupidity

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:56 pm

When we get closer to New Year's Eve they will be using the ABBA song "Happy New Year"
That's a great song. I remember hearing it when I was a kid in the late 70's(?) and thinking how far off "'89" was. Now it's sooooo long ago.

Jingle Bells is a Christmas song. Nobody cares about the lyrics, it's about perception. When do you hear the song? Christmas time. What is sung/played just before and after it? Christmas songs that probably make actual references to Christmas. Plus, Jehovas Witnesses won't sing it because of its relationship with the holiday.

Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon your point of view.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:30 am

Jsaxm wrote:
mellamo wrote:

I am sure he isn't saying this.
In case you didn't know, I am Associate Professor of Communication and Informational Technology at Long An University of Economics and Technology in Long An, Vietnam. Part of my WORK is interpreting the English of the locals into the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).

Vietnamese students CELEBRATE Christmas but they don't get the day off. On Monday, my advanced English class gave me a Christmas party. They wouldn't do it unless they had my trust and confidence. My graduate assistant for the class was a great hostess.

Anyway, what I am trying to say with Jingle Bells is that it's not just for Christmas but it's probably more appropriate in February when more snow falls.

And I amended my syllabus on American culture to state that Christmas songs can be based upon any of the three criteria:

1. The birth of Christ.
2. Santa Claus and the exchange of gifts.
3. The winter solstice (which is why the day is on December 25).

Jingle Bells fits the last criterion but these songs should be continued to be sung throughout winter. That's my point.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:57 am

LoyalTubist wrote:Jingle Bells fits the last criterion but these songs should be continued to be sung throughout winter. That's my point.
I suppose I can agree to that...in theory....I still don't want to hear anymore Jingle Bells or any other Christmas song until next holiday season. The only song that should be sung now is "Auld Lang Syne." I know, I know, it's a drinking song, not a new years song, but people sing it at new years because it's a farewell song.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:10 pm

We had a rule in my high school drama department that even thinking about one of the show songs after the last performance was punishable by death. Once songs have been sung to death, they need a period to rest before they can come back to life.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?