Music Major Juries!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Music Major Juries!

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:12 am

How're everyones juries going?!?! I have mine today, I'm really nervous!
(For those who are wondering, a jury is where you play a solo, etude/orchestral excerpt, and scales for a panel of music professors and get graded on your performance, and this also determines your standing(fresh, soph, jr, sr 1st/2nd semester)
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

crickett
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crickett » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:36 am

Oh, I feel for you. I don't miss jurries. Good luck!

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:36 am

My sympathies to you. I always loathed doing juries at SJSU. I always did realy well though. Good Luck!!
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

thegodfaughnder
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thegodfaughnder » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:44 pm

screw juries... mine's on tuesday. I go to University of Pacific... not fun
Cymbal Line '03-'04
Bass # 3 '04-'05
Bass # 4 '05-'06
Tenorline '06-'07
University of the Pacific MMGT Major

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:00 pm

Thank God I don't have to worry about those any more. Good luck guys! Once you get out of college you will look back on them and wonder why you stressed so much, haha.
You just can't encourage stupidity

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:56 pm

all i had was a piano jury this afternoon, felt like auditions all over again, except on an instrument i'm not comfortable at playing!
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

UDQ's

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:59 pm

I remember at my University at the end of your sophomore year you had a jury of gigantic proportions. It was called a UDQ, upper division qualifying exam. If you were a music major, BM, you had to take this exam to see if you would be allowed to continue in your program. If you failed it once, you could retake it. If you failed a second time you had to change your major, or at least down to a BA and not a BM. THOSE were pretty stressful.

Do you guys have anything like that at your Universities?

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:44 pm

We have a Junior Qualifying jury at the end of Sophomore year, but I don't think we have a test to determine whether or not we can continue. That's intense. But I think at our juries the panel can determine whether or not you are allowed to continue as a performance major, but I'm an ed major so it's all good.
all i had was a piano jury this afternoon, felt like auditions all over again, except on an instrument i'm not comfortable at playing!
For us it's our piano proficiency exam, but I'm gonna put it off for a semester because I didn't have time to get ready for it. Only downer is you're required to retake the piano proficiency class until you pass.

Anyway, I did really well on my jury!! It'll be interesting to get the results in the mail in a couple weeks. I hope i skip a semester or two, as I'm a 3rd year right now, and they automatically started me as a first semester freshman since I'm a transfer:(
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:18 pm

guardthepiccolo wrote:We have a Junior Qualifying jury at the end of Sophomore year, but I don't think we have a test to determine whether or not we can continue. That's intense. But I think at our juries the panel can determine whether or not you are allowed to continue as a performance major, but I'm an ed major so it's all good.(
I was an Ed Major and they made us take it too. Anyone who was going for a BM, performance and Ed, had to take the UDQ. Talk about stress, here pass this test, if you don't then you just wasted two years and 60,000 dollars, haha!!

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:07 pm

Wait until you prepare for your Senior Recital.
-Stop global whining.

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:20 pm

luckily for me im not a performance major. im doing recording technology, so my big senior assignment is based around internships and such. all i have is a percussion jury next semester and to finish piano class and my jury requirements are done!
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:07 am

Wildabeast wrote:Wait until you prepare for your Senior Recital.
I did a Junior and a Senior Recital.

In grad school (for your master's degree), you do a Recital because it saves you from writing a thesis. I got out of there much quickly than some of the other students who were there before I got there. Some never graduated.

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:54 am

At USC you have 2 senior recitals; one for each semester. And in the jazz studies department, you have the option of doing a CD project in lieu of one of your recitals. Never sweat juries---most musicians psyche themselves out worrying about them. Just pretend you're in the practice rooms shedding away...... 8-)

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:27 am

LoyalTubist wrote:
Wildabeast wrote:Wait until you prepare for your Senior Recital.
I did a Junior and a Senior Recital.
I did both of those too. You know what really was kind of crappy, none of the other music ed majors had to do a junior and senior recital except for us saxophone majors. Our professor made us do it because he said we needed to play more. Looking back on it I think it is great I had to do that. I did some really great literature for that recital, but I remember back then I was so pissed. All of my friends were just chillin' their junior year and there I was busting my butt away working on an unrequired junior recital, haha!!

Oh the good ol' days.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:59 pm

I didn't do anything I wouldn't want recorded for any of my recitals.

For my junior recital, my main piece was the Vaughan Williams Tuba Concerto.

For my senior recital everything was a killer: Tubby the Tuba, the Alexei Lebedev Tuba Concerto, and some other fun things. My mother requested I played "Beezebub" (and old air and variations thing), so I did that.

My final master's recital featured Effie and the Concertant [sic.] Suite by Christer Danielsson (the last movement sounds a lot like an old cop show theme). I did Rodger Vaughan's Three Songs for Soprano and Tuba. My singer was a Japanese lady (foreign student) who didn't understand all the jokes that John Updike wrote into the words, so she was deadpan. It worked wonderfully!

My Junior Recital was required for the degree I was doing.