Michael Vick....

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

What do you think about his jail sentence?

It's too long
9%
It's too short
28%
It's just fine the way it is
13%
I really don't care
50%

Total votes: 32

Che!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Michael Vick....

Post by Che! » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:39 pm

I thought that his sentence was a little too long. What do you think? .....and go.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:36 pm

I SAY WE MAKE HIM GET IN THE CAGE AND FIGHT A PIT BULL!!!!

ok... i'm cool i'm cool...

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:46 am

I really don't care should be an option. Oh WAIT.....

K so anyways, why do people get soooo caught up in celebrities lives? I never understood that, I mean sure everyone's guilty of it every now and then, but some people just emerge themselves in the gossip of celebrities and buy subscription magazines that discuss the "secret" lives of the celebs. I mean c'mon now, is you're life really so bad that you need to live life vicariously through celebs?

::End of rant::
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:14 am

Ex Nihilo wrote:I SAY WE MAKE HIM GET IN THE CAGE AND FIGHT A PIT BULL!!!!
ok... i'm cool i'm cool...
Second that motion. I'm not usually one for "an eye for an eye" but there are instances, like this one, where a good spanking in the woodshed with a holed-paddle would do some people a world of good.

(*by the way ... my opinion ^ is "I really don't care". Celebs should not be role models or heros. I congrate them for whatever crosses they've had to bear, but model my life after them? follow their every move 24/7/365? Oh please! :roll: )

ok ... back to my "sweet, little ole lady" face ...

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:38 am

I chose way too short. Five years would be a better sentence.

It baffles me that so many people are willing to just shrug off incidents of felony animal cruelty considering that it's the #1 indicator of violent psychopathic tendencies in human beings.

A study run by police officials in New South Wales, Australia found a staggering statistic: 100% of sexual homicide offenders examined had a history of animal cruelty. ("Animal Cruelty; Common in Many Killers," Sunbury Macedon Regional 26 Apr. 2005.) In three separate studies, more than half of the battered women surveyed reported that their abuser threatened or injured their animal companions. (David Crary, "Program Links Domestic Abuse, Pets," Associated Press, 11 Mar. 2001.)

The connection between animal abuse and people abuse is so strong that police departments in Baltimore, Boston, and New Jersey have made it a requirement that police officers note the condition of any pets present when they respond to domestic disturbance calls. Albert de Salvo ("The Boston Strangler"), Jeffrey Dahmer, Dennis Rader ("The BTK Killer"), Lee Boyd Malvo ("The DC Sniper"), and Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (Columbine HS shooters) ALL tortured and killed animals before moving on to human prey.

Acts of cruelty to animals are not mere indications of a minor personality flaw in the abuser; they are symptomatic of a deep mental disturbance. "Celebrity" has nothing to do with it. ANYONE who could do the sort of things that Michael Vick and his cronies did to those dogs has a severe psychological problem and needs to be locked up and treated for the public safety.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:25 am

Hostrauser wrote:I chose way too short. Five years would be a better sentence.

It baffles me that so many people are willing to just shrug off incidents of felony animal cruelty considering that it's the #1 indicator of violent psychopathic tendencies in human beings.
A study run by police officials in New South Wales, Australia found a staggering statistic: 100% of sexual homicide offenders examined had a history of animal cruelty. ("Animal Cruelty; Common in Many Killers," Sunbury Macedon Regional 26 Apr. 2005.) In three separate studies, more than half of the battered women surveyed reported that their abuser threatened or injured their animal companions. (David Crary, "Program Links Domestic Abuse, Pets," Associated Press, 11 Mar. 2001.)

The connection between animal abuse and people abuse is so strong that police departments in Baltimore, Boston, and New Jersey have made it a requirement that police officers note the condition of any pets present when they respond to domestic disturbance calls. Albert de Salvo ("The Boston Strangler"), Jeffrey Dahmer, Dennis Rader ("The BTK Killer"), Lee Boyd Malvo ("The DC Sniper"), and Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (Columbine HS shooters) ALL tortured and killed animals before moving on to human prey.

Acts of cruelty to animals are not mere indications of a minor personality flaw in the abuser; they are symptomatic of a deep mental disturbance. "Celebrity" has nothing to do with it. ANYONE who could do the sort of things that Michael Vick and his cronies did to those dogs has a severe psychological problem and needs to be locked up and treated for the public safety.
Agreed ... I said I dont' care about Vick because I don't place celebs on a pedestal ... I DO care about people breaking the law and especially those who commit violent acts (whether against humans or other animals). Following a news story just because it is a celebrity in trouble is just lame ... following a news story because it is a microscope over a social issue needs to be done more often.

A friend has a "solution" for people like Vick ... "take him to the woodshed, nail [something] to the floor, hand him a knife, light the shed on fire, tell him he knows what he has to do to survive." Harsh? Yes. But what a wake up call that would be to a lot of people who inflict cruel and unusual punishment on others! BUT then again ... we as a society would regress to the types of punishments we fought to ban. BUT then again ... as of last week, one in 300 (approx) adults in the United States have been incarcerated, are on probation, or are currently serving prison sentences. It's become a sort of "game" or a "right of passage" for some people to do time or see how much they can get away with. BUT then again ... if we had harsher sentences (and I don't mean sitting in a jail cell for 5 years), possibly more people would think twice about the crimes they commit.

OK ... I have a headache now and it's only 10:30 in the morning.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:05 pm

Hostrauser wrote:I chose way too short. Five years would be a better sentence.

True, but if Joe Schmoe had done it and it wasn't all over the news I wouldn't even know about it or care, so why should I know and care when it's Michael Vick? Of course I think people who are cruel to animals should be punished according to the law, but I don't need to hear about it or care about it.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:10 am

I am not a dog lover but I have lived around pit bull terriers for most of my life. I can tell you that they only get aggressive if their owner is aggressive with them.

If I had to own a dog, I'd probably own one.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:11 pm

I am going to see a cock fight Colosseum either today or tomorrow since I cant go to one legally in the US! I'll post pictures!
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:08 am

Here's hoping it horrifies you.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:18 am

Hostrauser wrote:Here's hoping it horrifies you.
Dude, the guy snipes with a knife.... 'nuff said. I personally wouldn't go to a cock fight.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:59 pm

Actually, I was hasty in condemning him. For all I know he's going to a XXX show. :cool:

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:00 pm

If it was an XXX show it would be legal :roll:
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:12 pm

LoyalTubist wrote:I am not a dog lover but I have lived around pit bull terriers for most of my life. I can tell you that they only get aggressive if their owner is aggressive with them.
Exactly. While some dogs may come by aggressive behavior easier than others, I completely agree and have learned that dogs aren't naturally mean. They are either trained to be mean, or have to become mean to cope with a bad situation like being abandoned and having to fend for themselves.

It is just a shame that some people feel that because they are animals that they can be treated without any sort of respect or care.
You just can't encourage stupidity

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:23 pm

I'm actually impressed with the number of people who said "I don't care". I wasn't even aware his sentence had been decided yet (and I'm happy that way). The only bad thing I can see about this is what its going to do the the Falcons.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?