Upgrade or update?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Upgrade or update?

Post by Chapagne » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:50 am

I have Norton Internet Security 2004. Should I upgrade to 2008 or just continue to pay for a subscription? What is gained by buying the new software?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:38 am

This is personal bias speaking, but I think Norton is terrible and would switch to McAfee or Kaspersky (I use Kaspersky and feel I get more bang for my buck than with McAfee). Norton used to make a very, very good anti-virus program, but the past five years have seen them become increasingly spotty and more "bloat-ware."

That being said, generally upgrading to the newer version is better, as holes and flaws that were in previous editions are (usually) fixed.

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:44 am

I've heard of a free anti virus program that you can get off the internet, but I don't know if it's good or not. It's called AVG Anti-Virus

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Flying bird wrote:I've heard of a free anti virus program that you can get off the internet, but I don't know if it's good or not. It's called AVG Anti-Virus
It's not "Free" per se, merely that they offer a stripped-down free-ware version of the main program.

I'm pretty sure AVG was bought by Microsoft and incorporated into Windows Vista. Your opinion on Microsoft will help determine whether that raises or lowers the program in your esteem. :cool:

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Microsoft didn't buy AVG, they simply offer AVG through the Windows Security Center... just like Kaspersky, Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro, and many others. Hostrauser, you're probably thinking of Microsoft's purchase of GIANT AntiSpyware, which became Windows Defender (that IS incorporated with Windows Vista).

As far as a reccomendation, I would tend to agree that Norton Home Products are mostly bloatware (Symantec Corporate products are still quite nice). AVG Free Edition (http://free.grisoft.com) is a very good piece of software. The biggest thing you sacrifice is not its scanning/detection capabilities, but its user interface. Simply put, the free version is very limited in its customizations.

AVG Free still automatically updates, and still gets the SAME virus definitions the paid program gets.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:08 pm

Yeah I'm not a fan of norton at all...
Soldiering On!

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:39 pm

You should get rid of Norton and use something else.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:47 pm

mkosbie wrote:Hostrauser, you're probably thinking of Microsoft's purchase of GIANT AntiSpyware, which became Windows Defender (that IS incorporated with Windows Vista).
Yep, that's it. I confused AVG with GIANT in that instance.

I still like Kaspersky the best out of all the computer defense (ie, anti-virus, anti-hacking, anti-spyware, etc.) programs I've tried, with McAfee second and Norton third.

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:10 pm

I guess I'll add my $.02 now. I gotta agree with everybody so far. Get rid of Norton. The reason is that it eats system resources, especially with the newer versions. It will slow down your computer immensely, mostly at startup.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:17 pm

I run Norton IS 2007, and other than a longer startup I don't really see it slowing down my system. Over past versions it has become a lot better at NOT being a resource hog. Firefox uses more memory than Norton right now (only have two tabs open).
I haven't used Kaspersky, but I've heard it does offer more than Norton.

I know with newer versions of NortonIS you can install it up to 3 computers, does Kaspersky offer the same, or McAfee? If that were the case, I'd probably go with Kaspersky.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:49 am

I actually use a Mac and have no anti-virus programs, and have never had a virus....I'm just sayin' is all.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:00 am

AVG Free works for me and in a recent test against Norton and McAfee, it won --- McAfee and Norton failed to find a couple of trojans, but AVG came through like a champ. Not bad for free. I also use SpyBot and AdAware (both free) as well as ZoneAlarm. A virus free computer should be subscription-free, IMHO..... 8-)

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:14 am

use google pack!
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:33 am

I actually use a Mac and have no anti-virus programs, and have never had a virus....I'm just sayin' is all.
You can never resist just sayin' when it comes to your Mac, can you? :D

Okay, so no one really answered my question. I'll re-phrase. When looking at purchasing an upgrade vs. a subscription renewal of ANY security software, it is worth it to spend more money on the new version? Does it have some capability that my 3-year old one doesn't?

Also, the new version of Norton just got quite the nice review in PC Magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2180639,00.asp

Is "Norton hogs resources" a fact or myth? How much is your security software using?

Also, at the risk of losing everyone again, how do you quote someone in the forum? I've got the "quote" button down, but I don't see how to make it show "so-and-so wrote".

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:10 am

As I said in my initial response: "That being said, generally upgrading to the newer version is better, as holes and flaws that were in previous editions are (usually) fixed."

As for quoting, just put ="<username>" before the close bracket in the quote tag... as follows:

[quote="Chapagne"]Also, at the risk of losing everyone again, how do you quote someone in the forum? I've got the "quote" button down, but I don't see how to make it show "so-and-so wrote".[/quote]

This would show up as "Chapagne wrote:" when posted with BBCode active.