Upgrade or update?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:10 am

Chapagne wrote:Also, at the risk of losing everyone again, how do you quote someone in the forum? I've got the "quote" button down, but I don't see how to make it show "so-and-so wrote".
Like so. :cool:

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:24 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Chapagne wrote:Also, at the risk of losing everyone again, how do you quote someone in the forum? I've got the "quote" button down, but I don't see how to make it show "so-and-so wrote".
Like so. :cool:
8-)
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:29 pm

Chapagne wrote:Also, the new version of Norton just got quite the nice review in PC Magazine: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2180639,00.asp
I wouldn't be so quick to accept this review at face value. You have to remember that PC Magazine (like me and basically anyone) is bias. In this case, the magazine and I are on opposite sides of the road.

They favor taking most of the control out of the user's hands to prevent the user from making stupid (or ill-informed) choices:
PC Magazine wrote:Symantec was an early proponent of the rising trend to put responsibility for security decisions where it belongs—with the security software.
Ideally, that's a really good idea (in fact, I'm strongly in favor of the Principal of Least Privilege). The problem is, the user ALWAYS needs to have the final say. Norton will make the choice and disable the user from ever changing that choice. That's what I call intrusive.

As far as your original question, I would generally pay for the upgraded version. In addition to the program problems that are fixed (as mentioned by Hostrauser), you get the benefit of a newer GUI and access to some kind of Tech Support (normally).
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:31 am

and if you want to do a quote without it showing up as a quote like Hostrauser just did all you have to do is click "Disable BBCode in this post" and you will get

[quote="whoever I want to quote"]SUPER QUOTE![/quote]
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:37 am

The Aceman wrote:and if you want to do a quote without it showing up as a quote like Hostrauser just did all you have to do is click "Disable BBCode in this post" and you will get
whoever I want to quote wrote:SUPER QUOTE!
Wait... that isn't what he wants tho
Soldiering On!

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:58 pm

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:
The Aceman wrote:and if you want to do a quote without it showing up as a quote like Hostrauser just did all you have to do is click "Disable BBCode in this post" and you will get
whoever I want to quote wrote:SUPER QUOTE!
Wait... that isn't what he wants tho
It was just an FYI.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.