Fires

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by uci_guy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:49 am

ahhhhh! the news here doesn't say exactly where the fires are burning in sd
drummer

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:22 pm

http://www.10news.com/index.html

The "square" between highways 56, 15, 78, and 5 is the evacuation zone..
Soldiering On!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:55 pm

mc_drummer wrote:ahhhhh! the news here doesn't say exactly where the fires are burning in sd
Ramona, Escondido, San Marcos, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Santa Fe, Dulzura, Fallbrook.

Fires are moving towards the coast. Solana Beach, Carlsbad and parts of Chula Vista are under evacuation-pending alerts. Legoland is closed. The Wild Animal Park was evacuated this morning and parts of it are burning.

I had to drive up and help my father and stepmother evacuate just a couple hours ago. They are now in a hotel downtown. Qualcomm Stadium currently has 10,000 evacuees and climbing. 100,000 acres have burned and climbing (the Cedar Fire burned 280,000 acres in four days; this Witch Fire is only one day old). 250,000 people have been ordered to evacuate, and climbing.

For up to the minute info:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:58 pm

Addendum: fire officials expect the Witch Fire (north) to burn all the way to the ocean. Solana Beach, Encinitas, San Elijo Lagoon, Carlsbad, etc. are all in its path. The pending evacuation order for Solana Beach includes neighborhoods WEST of I-5. The Harris fire (south) is burning into Otay Lakes and eastern Chula Vista.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:16 pm

Hello. It is Monday, October 22, at approximately noon and this is Deputy Superintendent John Collins with another update from Poway Unified School District.

Please be advised that all Poway schools and school related activities, including preschool and ESS, have been cancelled for tomorrow and Wednesday of this week, October 23 and 24. At this time, all CIF practices and activities have been cancelled for today and tomorrow. In addition, the PUSD College Fair, scheduled to take place tomorrow, Tuesday, October 23, at Mt. Carmel High School has also been cancelled.

Updates will continue to be provided to all parents and employees through this Connect Ed service and by accessing the District’s web page.

During this difficult and challenging time, we offer our thoughts and concerns for you and your families.

Thank you and we will update you as soon as possible.
Deputy Superintendent John Collins
Soldiering On!

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Does anyone know how each fire started?
Malibu- down powerline
Irvine- arson
Agua Dulce-?
San diego-?
Lake Arrowhead-?
Potrero-?
and the many others...

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:50 pm

Flying bird wrote:Does anyone know how each fire started?
Malibu- down powerline
Irvine- arson
Agua Dulce-?
San diego-?
Lake Arrowhead-?
Potrero-?
and the many others...
Supposedly 2 of the 13 are suspected arson - Lake Arrowhead and Irvine. But as they get more into the investigation stages, that could change.

I just read that the entire town of Cuyamaca was destroyed. I used to fish there. :cry:

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:51 pm

this is starting to feel like the katrina of fire, having the capability to wipe out a whole city.

these huge fires haven't really happened this often have they? what would explain 2 massive "firestorms" occuring in the same city within 4 years of each other and nothing remotely serious in the many years before that?

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:21 pm

Nreuest wrote:this is starting to feel like the katrina of fire, having the capability to wipe out a whole city.
these huge fires haven't really happened this often have they? what would explain 2 massive "firestorms" occuring in the same city within 4 years of each other and nothing remotely serious in the many years before that?
They are more common than people believe ... the Bel Air Fire of 1961, the Laguna Fire of 1993 ... and the history of huge fires goes back as far as 1880's and 1890's (280,000 acres in Orange County). Because of today's "no burn" attitudes, many of the forests are prime for ignition. Also, Santa Ana conditions seem to cycle every 10 years or so making some seasons worse than others, especially if they come a couple years after a very wet season.
So, yes, they have happened as often and have been very devastating. What makes the fires now more of an issue is the increase in population in areas that were not populated in the past.

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:37 pm

Nreuest wrote:this is starting to feel like the katrina of fire, having the capability to wipe out a whole city.

The Cedar Fire was caused by arson. I am thinking the arsonists are causing some of these other fires now to just "pop up." Look at a map and look at how perfectly spaced apart all these fires are.

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Malibu- down powerline
Irvine- arson
Agua Dulce-?
San diego-?
Lake Arrowhead-?
Potrero-?
and the many others...
There's seven or eight fires in San Diego. One of them was caused by an exploding transformer, one was also caused by downed powerlines. I have not yet heard arson spoken as a cause for any of the San Diego fires.

Currently, the Fallbrook fire is becoming the most severe. Fallbrook's in big trouble.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:47 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Malibu- down powerline
Irvine- arson
Agua Dulce-?
San diego-?
Lake Arrowhead-?
Potrero-?
and the many others...
There's seven or eight fires in San Diego. One of them was caused by an exploding transformer, one was also caused by downed powerlines. I have not yet heard arson spoken as a cause for any of the San Diego fires.

Currently, the Fallbrook fire is becoming the most severe. Fallbrook's in big trouble.
6 in SD but 8 in california

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:51 pm

Way more than eight.

Malibu, Santa Clarita, Lake Arrowhead, Irvine at least north of San Diego...

Fallbrook (Rice Fire), Escondido, San Marcos, Ramona (Witch Fire), Rancho Santa Fe, Otay Lakes (Harris Fire), Descanso at least in San Diego.
Last edited by Hostrauser on Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:55 pm

Yeah I'm becoming suspicious of arson because all these new fires are starting that seem unrelated.
Soldiering On!

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Exactly my Point

Post by crfrey71 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:01 pm

FluteOfTheNewWorld wrote:Yeah I'm becoming suspicious of arson because all these new fires are starting that seem unrelated.
That was the point I was trying to make. We have had a fire in San Ysidro and in Otay Mesa that started well ahead of the Harris Fire.

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net