help needed!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

help needed!

Post by cymtech » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:00 pm

i am looking for someone to help me create a logo for a new website. i really want something that is kinda web 2.0 looking. (rounded edges, color fades, etc.)

anyone interested can just pm me and i will give further details.

Fluba
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fluba » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:23 am

Remember to drop the last vowel as well. Otherwise, Site like Flickr, Twittr and such would not be "2.0"...

Oi, weird internet trends.
That Flute playin' Tuba guy...

This is why Tubas rule

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: help needed!

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:25 pm

cymtech wrote:i am looking for someone to help me create a logo for a new website. i really want something that is kinda web 2.0 looking. (rounded edges, color fades, etc.)

anyone interested can just pm me and i will give further details.
I may know someone else that can create things like that using photoshop and they are pretty darn good...
Soldiering On!

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Web 2.0 is the world's biggest joke. On humanity. I attended a conference on it once. They basically told us "Web 2.0 takes all the ideas, technologies, and standards created under Web 1.0 (which by the was just 'The Internet' at the time) and fuses them together to create 'interactive' websites driver by 'the user'".

Great, so if I take all the books, poems, and plays from "Literature 1.0" and rework them to create an "interactive" area (free, online collaboration on them eg) its not plagiarism... it's "Literature 2.0".
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:02 pm

mkosbie wrote:Web 2.0 is the world's biggest joke. On humanity. I attended a conference on it once. They basically told us "Web 2.0 takes all the ideas, technologies, and standards created under Web 1.0 (which by the was just 'The Internet' at the time) and fuses them together to create 'interactive' websites driver by 'the user'".

Great, so if I take all the books, poems, and plays from "Literature 1.0" and rework them to create an "interactive" area (free, online collaboration on them eg) its not plagiarism... it's "Literature 2.0".

That's nice and all, but it doesn't really solve my problem. You see, i need someone to help me with some graphic work, not complain about web 2.0 and how it is the "worlds biggest joke". One thing i have a real problem with sometimes on these forums is that people don't read the post and comprehend what it is about. Instead, they hastily compile a response based off of god knows what and reply. i don't care if it is a "joke", and
i don't care if you went to a conference and got fed some info you could regurgitate immediately as soon as you see WEB 2.0 on your screen.

I asked for help with a logo in the STYLE of WEB 2.0

did i mention anything about my site being web 2.0? did i say web 2.0 is the best thing ever? did you even read my post?

so, if you want to help, fine. i would greatly appreciate it. if you insist on making negative comments and being unproductive towards my goal, please find a new topic to troll in.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:45 pm

cymtech wrote:
mkosbie wrote:Web 2.0 is the world's biggest joke. On humanity. I attended a conference on it once. They basically told us "Web 2.0 takes all the ideas, technologies, and standards created under Web 1.0 (which by the was just 'The Internet' at the time) and fuses them together to create 'interactive' websites driver by 'the user'".

That's nice and all, but it doesn't really solve my problem. You see, i need someone to help me with some graphic work, not complain about web 2.0 and how it is the "worlds biggest joke". One thing i have a real problem with sometimes on these forums is that people don't read the post and comprehend what it is about. Instead, they hastily compile a response based off of god knows what and reply. i don't care if it is a "joke", and
i don't care if you went to a conference and got fed some info you could regurgitate immediately as soon as you see WEB 2.0 on your screen.

I asked for help with a logo in the STYLE of WEB 2.0

did i mention anything about my site being web 2.0? did i say web 2.0 is the best thing ever? did you even read my post?

so, if you want to help, fine. i would greatly appreciate it. if you insist on making negative comments and being unproductive towards my goal, please find a new topic to troll in.
one word: chill.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:27 am

Oookk..
Soldiering On!

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Woh, woh, woh, slow down there cowboy. I didn't realize that comments made in any given thread (especially on this board of this forum) constituted a contract between the current poster and the original poster. In fact, I'm relatively certain that these threads can, and do, constantly veer from their original topic to discuss any manner of oddity.

To the point: Yes, I have an issue with the term "Web 2.0". In fact, it is a deeper issue with the majority of "design" that happens on the internet. But since you would rather I not "hijack" this topic, I'll go ahead and put that rant in its own thread.

To answer your question, no I cannot help you with the logo design. I am neither an artist, nor a graphic designer. Talk to Aceman, ISnipeWithAKnife, or Jakob der ludner, they're pretty good with that kind of stuff.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:31 pm

What contract?

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:22 am

The off topic forums are for topics which do not relate to the overall theme of this site (pageantry). Internet etiquette does constitute a contract between the poster and the original poster. It would be the equivalent of one barging in on another's conversation and start talking about cheese, something they weren't talking about before.

As far as this post concerning this topic, I have already complied to cymtech's wishes and PM'd him about the matter.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 am

tSz42 wrote:The off topic forums are for topics which do not relate to the overall theme of this site (pageantry). Internet etiquette does constitute a contract between the poster and the original poster. It would be the equivalent of one barging in on another's conversation and start talking about cheese, something they weren't talking about before.

As far as this post concerning this topic, I have already complied to cymtech's wishes and PM'd him about the matter.
Ditto here ...
My thoughts are on their way cymtech. Good luck with the site.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:17 pm

*looks at title of forum*
i'm with mkosbie on this one.

Fluba
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fluba » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:44 pm

Ex Nihilo wrote:*looks at title of forum*
i'm with mkosbie on this one.
Same here. Web 2.0 is weird really. I don't get it much really.

This is why Tubas rule

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:12 am

fluba, Ex Nihilo, and mkosbie. wow, we really have our A-Game going.

The point is, and read this twice if you need to, the original post was asking for help. every post that was made after that by one of you was totally not related to the proposed issue.

Just because this is an off topic forum doesn't mean that every post you make in every topic can be about anything you want. the off topic forum is for general ideas outside of the performing arts world. once a topic is posted, that becomes the theme for that thread. if you have nothing to add to it relating to that theme, DON'T POST.

Sometimes i feel like people post just to see their own comments on the internet. or maybe it is just to inflate that post count...

Thank you to everyone who has sent ideas, they are greatly appreciated.

Fluba
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fluba » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:37 pm

cymtech wrote:fluba, Ex Nihilo, and mkosbie. wow, we really have our A-Game going.

The point is, and read this twice if you need to, the original post was asking for help. every post that was made after that by one of you was totally not related to the proposed issue.

Just because this is an off topic forum doesn't mean that every post you make in every topic can be about anything you want. the off topic forum is for general ideas outside of the performing arts world. once a topic is posted, that becomes the theme for that thread. if you have nothing to add to it relating to that theme, DON'T POST.

Sometimes i feel like people post just to see their own comments on the internet. or maybe it is just to inflate that post count...

Thank you to everyone who has sent ideas, they are greatly appreciated.
And you so follow your own statements there.

You asked in the Off-Topic forums of a MARCHING BAND forums about web site design. In your request, you were very vague as what what the site was about and how "Web 2.0" you wanted it. And then you get all freaking worked up over NOTHING. Boo-hoo your thread got jacked. Welcome to the Internet.

And I feel that mkosbie was COMPLETELY on topic with his statements on "Web 2.0". You wanted something to do with they style of it. His post was all to do with the style of it. Sure, it was not the exact thing you wanted. But it was still within the general topic of "Web 2.0".

And I though the was the LAST place that Id ever have people attacking me and me having to make my pointed defense on the 'net...

This is why Tubas rule