*falls over*

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

*falls over*

Post by formermarcher » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:04 pm

Not that anyone cares...

But I just came out of the CSET English exam. 4 and a half hours over 4 subtests, most of them essay writing. I'm pretty sure I failed it....

*dies*
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:52 pm

I give you credit for taking all 4 at one time. Most people only take 2 the first time around; 6 essays and 100 multiple choice questions can sure make your hand tired. If you don't pass be sure to check out this page for some sample questions and scoring information. Best of luck.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want any more info about the CSET... or any of the certification exams listed at www.ctcexams.nesinc.com for that matter. ;)

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: *falls over*

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:18 pm

formermarcher wrote:Not that anyone cares...

But I just came out of the CSET English exam. 4 and a half hours over 4 subtests, most of them essay writing. I'm pretty sure I failed it....

*dies*
Sounds like my sister when she took the exams to be a CPA ... there are multiple parts and passing the required number the first time around is almost impossible. She did it but was brain dead for about 3 weeks. Most ppl take the tests in segments and pass over a period of 1 to 3 years. Ditto with some ppl I know who took the Bar Exam to be an attorney.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:05 am

bassoonuba wrote:I give you credit for taking all 4 at one time. Most people only take 2 the first time around; 6 essays and 100 multiple choice questions can sure make your hand tired. If you don't pass be sure to check out this page for some sample questions and scoring information. Best of luck.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want any more info about the CSET... or any of the certification exams listed at www.ctcexams.nesinc.com for that matter. ;)
I was glued to that page for the last week on the account that it was the only study material I could find. There are no books for the single-subject English...no official ones, anyway.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:17 pm

formermarcher wrote:There are no books for the single-subject English...no official ones, anyway.
You pretty much nailed that one. While there are no books that are officially produced or recommended by Pearson (formerly National Evaluation Systems) or the California CTC I have been told that the Xam study guide, in conjunction with the web materials seems to help most. Here's a link

I wouldn't worry too much though. If you studied the material on the web and felt that you understood it, you should be ok. Those questions were actually taken from test prompts that are no longer in use. ;)

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:25 pm

So you plan to torture small school children with your excessive knowledge of "eengalisch" then? 8-)
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:50 pm

bassoonuba wrote:
formermarcher wrote:There are no books for the single-subject English...no official ones, anyway.
You pretty much nailed that one. While there are no books that are officially produced or recommended by Pearson (formerly National Evaluation Systems) or the California CTC I have been told that the Xam study guide, in conjunction with the web materials seems to help most. Here's a link

I wouldn't worry too much though. If you studied the material on the web and felt that you understood it, you should be ok. Those questions were actually taken from test prompts that are no longer in use. ;)
Hey, thanks for that link. I studied the questions and looked up some terms, but when I read the test questions I srot of stared at them. I mean, I never studied anything about Carribean literautre, but 4 questions were based on that subject.

The 15 questions for domains 1 and 2 gave me an idea...I gathered it was very logical and you should be able to deduce the answers...which I tried hard to do, but after awhile the words literally become a blur.

They say the scoringis 100-300, and a 220 is passing. I figure that means just over half the questions right. If its that way, I have a chance...

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:52 pm

mkosbie wrote:So you plan to torture small school children with your excessive knowledge of "eengalisch" then? 8-)
You know...there were more than a few questions with words that looked like that. It would give you a word that they called a "nonsense" word, and then it would ask you what a certain letter in that nonsense word might sound like. It was testing if you knew when a letter sounded one way and when it sounded like another, by having choose one of 4 words as the answer...

Like...does the S in nonsense word 1 sound like
A. Slide
B. Does
C. Essence

and so forth...I actually liked that part, because it seemed fairly easy.

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:50 pm

formermarcher wrote:They say the scoringis 100-300, and a 220 is passing. I figure that means just over half the questions right. If its that way, I have a chance...
Not necessarily. The scoring is indeed 100-300 with a 220 pass but, it is impossible for examinees to deduce the exact number of questions that are needed to be answered correctly in order to obtain the passing score.

For the multiple choice (test code 105 & 106), the score is based on the number of questions answered correctly. Out of the scorable questions (that's right; not all questions count) each is assigned a point value from 1 to 4 based on the level of difficulty. Those points are added to determine your scaled score.

For the essays, (test codes 107 & 108), you are assigned a point value from 1 to 4. Typically, a 3 or 4 is considered a pass; although it is possible to pass with a 2 and fail with a 3... it all depends on where your diagnostics lie. That raw score (1-4) + your diagnostic information determines the scaled score that is reported.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:20 pm

Hey, I take solace in the idea of it........

What bums me out is that no credential school will accept me until I pass it, and the deadlines are all October 1st...with scores not being posted until the 15th!