So the Lakers lost.....HAHA!!!!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Bassline4life
New Recruit
New Recruit

So the Lakers lost.....HAHA!!!!

Post by Bassline4life » Fri May 16, 2003 3:18 pm

ya the lakers lost who what of thought.....wait I did

Spin Doctor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Spin Doctor » Fri May 16, 2003 6:12 pm

Having fun?
I never did forget that night...
And now...
More than twenty years later...
I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.
The only thing is...
I can't remember how to play it anymore.
~The Wonder Years

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Fri May 16, 2003 7:41 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!! Finally...sorry to you laker fans, but they deserved to lose!!! ha ha ha
OHS '01 - '05

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Fri May 16, 2003 9:40 pm

Pistons baby!!!
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So the Lakers lost.....HAHA!!!!

Post by Bandmaster » Sat May 17, 2003 2:09 am

Bassline4life wrote:ya the lakers lost who what of thought.....wait I did
Gee, do you ever root for another team to win, or are you just against the Lakers? What team DO you like?

Have you noticed that when ANY L.A. sports team broadcasts a home game, you NEVER hear the fans cheer "Beat So-and-So". But yet I always hear the cheers of "Beat LA" when watching other team's home game broadcasts, why is that? Envy maybe? The L.A. sports fans have been blessed by having some of the greatest sports announcers to influence and educate us over the years. Like Vin Scully and Chick Hearn, who taught us how to appreciate the game and respect our opponents. L.A. sports fans have and show "class", unlike some other fans, including Bassline4life.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat May 17, 2003 2:55 am

Is that a gauntlet lying there on the floor? :wink:
Bandmaster wrote:Gee, do you ever root for another team to win, or are you just against the Lakers? What team DO you like?
I root for the Kings (NBA), Chargers (NFL), and Padres (MLB) -- a big group of losers, I know. I am truly a die-hard fan.
Bandmaster wrote:Have you noticed that when ANY LA sports team broadcasts a home game, the fans NEVER cheer "Beat So-and-So". But yet I always hears the cheers of "Beat LA" when watching other team's broadcasts,
For starters, the "Beat LA" chant is solely a basketball chant, because LA is too apathetic to maintain a football team, has one baseball team that chronically underachieves and another that was a flash-in-the-pan. The Lakers are the only L.A. team to have recently dominated their sport for multiple years.

When I watch a Lakers home game, the fans NEVER cheer... period. They're all too busy chatting on cell phones, suckin' down caramel macchiatos and trying to get the attention of some movie star to actually realize there's a GAME going on. Lakers fans are some of the most funereal and uninspiring fans in ANY sport. And until you've sat in on a game at Arco Arena (Sacramento), the Delta Center (Salt Lake City), or the American Airlines Arena (Dallas), don't even attempt to argue otherwise.
Bandmaster wrote:Why is that? Envy maybe?
Possibly. Success breeds enmity and jealousy. Always has, always will. For as many Laker fans as there are, there will always be more Laker haters. Same with the Yankees. Same with Notre Dame. The Lakers are by no means alone in this boat.

However, where the Lakers differ is that they were not dignified champions like so many of the other sports dynasties. They were extremely prideful. They were arrogant. And most of all, they were rude. They weren't satisfied with simply winning: they exulted in hurling insults and rubbing peoples faces in it. They insulted and dismissed fans and players around the league. Dallas. San Antonio. And especially Sacramento. They seemed incapable of giving credit where credit was due on the rare occasions they did lose. The Kings easily lead the league in whining about the refs each year (something I can't STAND about my team), but the Lakers often made a pretty strong showing in the category, especially considering how many favorable calls they did receive.

Envy? Yes. Jealousy? Yes. But also simple satisfaction at seeing an overly proud group finally get their comeuppance. I think it's the pride factor more than anything else: the bigger and more self-important you build yourself up to be, the more people will enjoy it when you crumble. That's a law of human nature.

That said, even as a die-hard Kings fan I must be fair: the Lakers have been EXTREMELY good losers. They have handled their elimination and the end of their championship run far better than I expected them to, and they've definitely earned some positive points from me in the last few days.
Bandmaster wrote:The LA sports fans have been blessed by having some great sports announcers that have influenced and educated us over the years. Like Vin Scully and Chick Hearn, who taught us how to appreciate the game and respect our opponents. LA sports fans have "class", unlike some other fans, including Bassline4life.
*cough* Uh, yeah. Whatever.

Agreed, Scully and Hearn's credentials are simply without debate: two of the greatest broadcasters ever, period.

But LA fans having "class"? Please. Granted, you guys are nowhere near as bad as the fans in Philadelphia, or even worse, those unbearable San Francisco 49ers fans I have to deal with up here (people complain about the Raiders' fans? Please. You have no idea. The Raiders' are the GOOD kids in NorCal).

I was down in L.A. in both May and June of 2002, right in time for the Western Conference finals between Sacramento and Los Angeles. As I was driving through town one day, I listened to sports radio (as is my wont) and caught the local sports talk show interviewing Gavin Maloof, one of the Kings' owners. The callers and radio hosts were riding him pretty hard, but Gavin was doing his best to answer the legitimate questions being asked. The instant he hung up the radio host had a loop of some of his comments and started making fun of him. Then I got to listen to 15 minutes of truly intellectual callers and a myriad of Sacramento jokes.

Come on. We in Sacramento at least keep our wrath directed towards those on the playing field, so to speak. Shaq? Fair game. Kobe? Fair game. Phil Jackson? Fair game. Jeannie Buss? Off limits. Jerry Buss? Off limits. Chick Hearn? Off limits. When Chick Hearn was in the hospital a year or two ago, I heard NUMEROUS calls on the local Sacramento radio shows wishing him a speedy recovery. When he passed on, the evening drive-time show basically became the Chick Hearn tribute and remembrance show.

When Karl Marlone and John Stockton played their final games this year (and the final one ever for Stockton), the Kings' fans gave a huge standing ovation (bigger than the muted one they received on their home court just one game previous) to two of their team's fiercest competitors. Remember, before there was Sacto-LA there was Sacto-Utah, and it was John Stockton who threw that first playoff dagger into hearts of the Kings fans (1999).

Class fans? Well, let's just say that while LA fans aren't nearly as bad as some, they still have a lot they can learn from others.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun May 18, 2003 7:17 pm

Yep. Philly Eagles fans will be forever remembered as the fans that booed Santa Claus off the field. :lol:

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Sun May 18, 2003 8:47 pm

why are people jumping on the laker hater bandwagon?

i bet half of you can't give reasons why u want the lakers to lose.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon May 19, 2003 2:20 am

Bandwagon? I was on this "wagon" when it pulled out of Dodge... and if you read my post, you'll see all the reasons.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Mon May 19, 2003 9:25 am

Well, I am a Lkers fan, but they are only my second favorite team. I am a huge Dallas Mavericks fan, but I don't go around booing the other team. I get upset when the Mavs lose, but they lose becuase either the other team was better, or they played horribly. Same with Green Bay. They are my favorite football team, and they loss in Lambeau for the first time ever in a home play-off game. I was upset, but I knew that it was because they were playing badly. Plus, the only reason people hated LA, was because they were #1 for so long. If your good, than your good.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

Spin Doctor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Spin Doctor » Mon May 19, 2003 12:55 pm

Bandmaster wrote:The L.A. sports fans have been blessed by having some of the greatest sports announcers to influence and educate us over the years. Like Vin Scully and Chick Hearn, who taught us how to appreciate the game and respect our opponents.
Please Dont forget Bob Miller...Announcer of the Los Angeles Kings. Miller has been with the Kings since 1973.
I never did forget that night...
And now...
More than twenty years later...
I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.
The only thing is...
I can't remember how to play it anymore.
~The Wonder Years

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon May 19, 2003 10:03 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:Is that a gauntlet lying there on the floor? :wink:
It is for Bassline4life. :wink: I know you wouldn't post a dumb one-liner like he did.
Phantom Phan wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:Have you noticed that when ANY LA sports team broadcasts a home game, the fans NEVER cheer "Beat So-and-So". But yet I always hears the cheers of "Beat LA" when watching other team's broadcasts,
For starters, the "Beat LA" chant is solely a basketball chant, because LA is too apathetic to maintain a football team, has one baseball team that chronically underachieves and another that was a flash-in-the-pan. The Lakers are the only L.A. team to have recently dominated their sport for multiple years.

When I watch a Lakers home game, the fans NEVER cheer... period. They're all too busy chatting on cell phones, suckin' down caramel macchiatos and trying to get the attention of some movie star to actually realize there's a GAME going on. Lakers fans are some of the most funereal and uninspiring fans in ANY sport. And until you've sat in on a game at Arco Arena (Sacramento), the Delta Center (Salt Lake City), or the American Airlines Arena (Dallas), don't even attempt to argue otherwise.
Maybe since you don't live down here you don't see as many broadcasts as we did of Laker and Dodger away games. I hear the chant "Beat L.A." during at least 50% of all the games I watch. Ever gone to a Dodger game at PacBell Park?
Phantom Phan wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:Why is that? Envy maybe?
Possibly. Success breeds enmity and jealousy. Always has, always will. For as many Laker fans as there are, there will always be more Laker haters. Same with the Yankees. Same with Notre Dame. The Lakers are by no means alone in this boat.

However, where the Lakers differ is that they were not dignified champions like so many of the other sports dynasties. They were extremely prideful. They were arrogant. And most of all, they were rude. They weren't satisfied with simply winning: they exulted in hurling insults and rubbing peoples faces in it. They insulted and dismissed fans and players around the league. Dallas. San Antonio. And especially Sacramento. They seemed incapable of giving credit where credit was due on the rare occasions they did lose. The Kings easily lead the league in whining about the refs each year (something I can't STAND about my team), but the Lakers often made a pretty strong showing in the category, especially considering how many favorable calls they did receive.

Envy? Yes. Jealousy? Yes. But also simple satisfaction at seeing an overly proud group finally get their comeuppance. I think it's the pride factor more than anything else: the bigger and more self-important you build yourself up to be, the more people will enjoy it when you crumble. That's a law of human nature.

That said, even as a die-hard Kings fan I must be fair: the Lakers have been EXTREMELY good losers. They have handled their elimination and the end of their championship run far better than I expected them to, and they've definitely earned some positive points from me in the last few days.
When I watch the sports coverage on our local news broadcasts I have only seen the Lakers team members make comments about one other team that I thought might be out of line or nasty, and that is against the Kings. :o I think it stemed from an article by a sports writer in Sacramento who said something that ticked off the Lakers' players. That's when Shaq came up with his "Sacramento Queens" comment. Sorry about that...
Phantom Phan wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:The LA sports fans have been blessed by having some great sports announcers that have influenced and educated us over the years. Like Vin Scully and Chick Hearn, who taught us how to appreciate the game and respect our opponents. LA sports fans have "class", unlike some other fans, including Bassline4life.
*cough* Uh, yeah. Whatever.

Agreed, Scully and Hearn's credentials are simply without debate: two of the greatest broadcasters ever, period.

But LA fans having "class"? Please. Granted, you guys are nowhere near as bad as the fans in Philadelphia, or even worse, those unbearable San Francisco 49ers fans I have to deal with up here (people complain about the Raiders' fans? Please. You have no idea. The Raiders' are the GOOD kids in NorCal).

I was down in L.A. in both May and June of 2002, right in time for the Western Conference finals between Sacramento and Los Angeles. As I was driving through town one day, I listened to sports radio (as is my wont) and caught the local sports talk show interviewing Gavin Maloof, one of the Kings' owners. The callers and radio hosts were riding him pretty hard, but Gavin was doing his best to answer the legitimate questions being asked. The instant he hung up the radio host had a loop of some of his comments and started making fun of him. Then I got to listen to 15 minutes of truly intellectual callers and a myriad of Sacramento jokes.

Come on. We in Sacramento at least keep our wrath directed towards those on the playing field, so to speak. Shaq? Fair game. Kobe? Fair game. Phil Jackson? Fair game. Jeannie Buss? Off limits. Jerry Buss? Off limits. Chick Hearn? Off limits. When Chick Hearn was in the hospital a year or two ago, I heard NUMEROUS calls on the local Sacramento radio shows wishing him a speedy recovery. When he passed on, the evening drive-time show basically became the Chick Hearn tribute and remembrance show.

When Karl Marlone and John Stockton played their final games this year (and the final one ever for Stockton), the Kings' fans gave a huge standing ovation (bigger than the muted one they received on their home court just one game previous) to two of their team's fiercest competitors. Remember, before there was Sacto-LA there was Sacto-Utah, and it was John Stockton who threw that first playoff dagger into hearts of the Kings fans (1999).

Class fans? Well, let's just say that while LA fans aren't nearly as bad as some, they still have a lot they can learn from others.
Actually I was referring to the fans that attend the games in person. Every city has it's crazies that call into the radio stations. The fans that attend the games in person almost always show respect to the other team and even cheer for good plays, no matter which teams make them. Especially at Dodger Stadium, Vin Scully has the Dodger fans well trained!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster