DCI is now cutting corps from shows in the west!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

DCI is now cutting corps from shows in the west!

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:10 pm

DCI has started informing some of the Division II/III corps that they are not welcome at some of the shows this summer. They claim that they couldn't possibly have more then 12 corps in a show. They have also told the Senior Corps that they are just out of luck, there is no room from them at most of the shows either. What's up with this????? If I was a show sponsor I would gladly open the gates an hour earlier and sell more hot dogs and drinks while folks watch the shows. What is DCI's problem? Is this any way to build the activity?
:? :(
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:31 pm

i couldnt agree more. If i wasnt marching this year i would most likely be sitting and watching all the Corps. If i could i would sit there forever and watch corps. after crops. I think the more corps. the better!!! :D I think telling div.II/III corps that there isnt room is discourageing. After all they joined to perform for people and get experience. Arent we shooting ourselves in the foot? Most of the lower corps serve as training for the top dogs. Pretty soon every corps will suck. if there is no training for those that really want to march then you only get the naturally talented. (there are no that many of those.) I thought thaat DCi was all about getting people to march. it didnt matter where, but march for the experience.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

CaptnContra
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptnContra » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:35 pm

OK, this pisses me off to no end. I've patiently been waiting for YEARS for the drum corps activity to grow out here on the west coast. With West Coast Sound, the Mandarins, Cascades, Yamato, Blue Knights, as well as the beginings of senior corps ( which has been needed for quite some time now. Before DCA arrived here, us "fogies" only had the option of marching with RCC to get our fix ) we're FINALLY getting a full evening of entertainment. In recent years we've had Madison, the Cavaliers, the Cadets, and now Phantom coming out west and its been wonderful. With DCI finals in Denver, we're begining to get more opportunities to participate in large events... and now DCI is pulling this crap. How many more titles do SCV and BD need to win before we start getting the attention from DCI that is so lacking? California has more high school marching programs than any other state in our nation, yet we seem to get the least amount of support from DCI.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:06 am

I can't fathom it either! I don't agree with it, BUT maybe there has to be some logical reasoning behind it. At least they didn't leave them out completely from the shows. Maybe it's a money issue, and we all know what that's like in CA now.
Whatever it may be, how about creating more shows that feature only the Div. II/III and Sr. corps? Heh, kinda' funny saying to a D1 corps, "Sorry, we're booked!"

Would WOP be able to host such a show? I know it would be a great deal of organizing and funding, BUT maybe work out a joint effort with the D2/3 & Sr. corps. This won't be a creation of any one organization, but a creation of many of us who care about those programs.

drumr2437
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumr2437 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:24 pm

well i dont like the idea either. But personaly i wouldnt want to go to a division II/III show. I mean wheres the fun with the good and experience corps. I love going to a show and watching the blue devils/SCV/and PC. Sometimes some shows can be boring or should i say less exciting. Although i may be joining a division III corp i feel that they should be able to perform at as many comps as they need to. It would certinly help people get into what drum corp is all about.

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:31 pm

Well if im not mistaken PC is now a div. 2 corps. I think that all people would be willing to go to a div.2/3 show. I think there are plenty of good corps that are in the lower divisions. I think that it is wrong to not invite lower corps because they are classified that way.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

azul

Post by azul » Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:01 pm

i'm thinking, it's because of the time of the shows, any form of delays, entering/exiting the field, a 12 corps line up is going to easily be over three hours long. so it's either gonna start early with people at work or end real late when we would need to be getting back on the road to hit our next show location the next day. :)
Do it up Troop!

drumstix379
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumstix379 » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:15 pm

Yeah, I'm quite disappointed about this. I'm a member of a div 2/3 corps from SoCal, and from the looks of it (on DCI's website) we aren't going to be allowed to make our annual trip to NorCal this summer and perform there. I look forward to travelling to Northern Cal every year for shows, and now they are just going to bump us out, because there are too many Div 1 corps that want to come? I agree, just extend the show time, start an hour earlier (4 or 5 o'clock) and let all the corps have a chance! My corps is from Cali, and we're bumped from a show b/c a couple of corps from the midwest are coming out here? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that they're coming, but that is just wrong. We're a local corps compared to Phantom Regiment, and we should even have priority over them. Okay....I'm done...

DynaGlide
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DynaGlide » Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:34 pm

I want my students to see the 2/3 corps. They need to see how important each individual is to the entire unit. The students I took to Rivereside were totally blown away by Alliance of San Diego. They never knew so few people could produce such a wonderful big sound. We have a small band and corps and seeing the 2/3 corps last year really made them realize that they could play and march well and put on an exciting, entertaining show. Maybe we'll just take our bus load of students to the 2/3 shows.