Dci World Championships 2004

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Wed May 14, 2003 3:56 pm

It would be nice to have finals here. Denver isn't west enough IMO.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu May 15, 2003 5:34 pm

rebu wrote:Thank you, Phantom Phan. Somebody finally got it right. :D
You're welcome.

I gave the issue further thought last night and recalled another point: during the mid-60s the San Diego Padres were still a minor-league, Pacific Coast League team. One of the reasons they became a pro team (in 1969, if I recall correctly) is because they had an already built stadium available for them to use.

-Phantom
(Die-hard Padres and Chargers fan... and oh, how hard I've died over the years)

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:07 pm

Another good stadium is Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix where the Fiesta Bowl Band Championships are held...but that stadium's capacity is 60,000 and like Phantom said about Qualcomm Stadium that's a lot more than necessary for DCI Championships.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:18 pm

The only problem with BOB is that it's in the middle of the desert. DCI Championships are in August. Thus, the roof at BOB would need to be closed. I'm not sure if DCI is ready for an indoor Championships just yet. Not sure how well that would even record.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:51 pm

Who's going/wants to go to Denver next year? I want to try to go with some friends, but I'm not too familiar with how to get tickets and such for an event like this.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:10 am

euphman wrote:Haven't they had championships in domes before?
BOA does every year, but DCI hasn't ever.

TrumpetMan: I hope to be in Denver next summer. You get your tickets through dci.org (that's the only source).

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:00 am

Aaah I see...do I need to be a "friend of DCI" at bronze level like it says in the Big 3 Pacakge, or can I just order tickets when available without the hassle? I wouldn't mind becoming a friend, but money's tight for me right now. :?
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:11 pm

You should be able to buy individual tickets for any given show.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:17 pm

Aaah once again I've missed more that needs to be read...Super 3 Package tickets go on sale Thursday...single show tickets go on sale on September 9. That is a long ways away, and who knows if they're be any really good seats left by then...oh well, at least I won't be paying more for extra shows I don't feel like seeing that week...I would like to enjoy what's in Denver before I see drum corps.

5 weeks until I can get my tickets then, I guess... :?
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

engineer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Quick question

Post by engineer » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:08 pm

Just wondering, since championships are in Denver next year would the DCI show schedule be any different? Traditionally DCI shows move towards the east since that where champs were, but now will the shows move westward? Getting to the point, it would just seem odd to have all the corps travel from Allentown, the final DCI regional, and then travel to Denver.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Quick question

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:07 pm

mRdJhay wrote:Just wondering, since championships are in Denver next year would the DCI show schedule be any different? Traditionally DCI shows move towards the east since that where champs were, but now will the shows move westward? Getting to the point, it would just seem odd to have all the corps travel from Allentown, the final DCI regional, and then travel to Denver.
The location of Finals has nothing at all to do with who the previous year's champion was. Otherwise we would've had a west coast finals already, since the Blue Devils, Kingsmen, and Vanguard owned DCI until the mid-80s.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:15 pm

DCI needs to wake up and realize west coast corps have been making it out to the east far too many times. Small Div 3 west coast corps make it out there now it's the east's turn.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:27 am

yeah, the show schedule is going to be way different. so what I've heard from my friend who's director for a corps down here, and apparently this comes straight from Dan Acheson's mouth, is that they're holding finals a week earlier (and they are, it's traditionally on the second weekend). There are two reasons, one is that that's the only time they could get mile high because the Bronco's need their field free after that, the second being that after nats -- I think?? -- they're planning on having some of the corps do an exhibition tour of the west coast.

...it boggles my mind... but...

it boggles my mind, but, so, the way it's supposed to work is that they're going to be checking the turn out for these west coast shows, and use them to guage support for, and the feasibility of, a California championships.

I heard all this in the spring, so I'm not sure if it's still their plan or what, but that's what I've heard.

engineer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Quick question

Post by engineer » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:56 am

Phantom Phan wrote:
mRdJhay wrote:Just wondering, since championships are in Denver next year would the DCI show schedule be any different? Traditionally DCI shows move towards the east since that where champs were, but now will the shows move westward? Getting to the point, it would just seem odd to have all the corps travel from Allentown, the final DCI regional, and then travel to Denver.
The location of Finals has nothing at all to do with who the previous year's champion was. Otherwise we would've had a west coast finals already, since the Blue Devils, Kingsmen, and Vanguard owned DCI until the mid-80s.
Oopps, let me clarify myself quickly. By champs I meant championships, not champions. I was commenting on how the regionals move to the east since championships are generally on that side of the US. Sorry for the confusion.