Breaking in my new DVD's

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

armysax
New Recruit
New Recruit

Breaking in my new DVD's

Post by armysax » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:47 pm

I already had the '96 and '99 legacy dvd's, but I just got my tax refund and so I went shopping and picked up '91 and '93. I'm a real fan of Star. Upon my brief perusal, I've found that I don't remeber those shows as well as I thought I did. I think overall Phantom Regiment got the snub both years. I think the placements for '91 was right, I don't think anybody else could match the overall design and concept that Star had on the field. I do think that Phantom's show was much more emotionally charged than the Cavies, and the point differential was too high. In '93 I think that the point spread over Phantom was way off, and personally, (I'm not a judge) I would have put Phantom 1st, then Cadets, then Star. And I don't really buy the whole .1 differential either. I think Cadets were noticeablly better than Star, both musically and with general effect. That is the extent of my review so far, it is kind of wierd having the best corps first on the dvd. Kind of like having ice cream as your appetizer. Anybody got any thoughts?
In time you will learn to call me master.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:55 am

Phantom Phan's comments on 1993:

In my opinion, this year was the toughest call in DCI history. How can you choose between the top two shows? No two shows could be more different from one another, and yet they were each spectacular in their own way. The Cadets, with their "In the Spring, at the Time When Kings Go Off to War": wildly exciting, tremendously effectual music, it was like watching a medieval action movie on the field. Star of Indiana, with no show title, performing the brooding, angry music of Bela Bartok and Samuel Barber, with stark, cream colored uniforms and the colorguard in all black. This was the first show to really integrate "body movement" as part of the show. To make things even more difficult, the Cadets didn't even have the most exciting show of the year! Phantom Regiment's "The Modern Imagination" earned FOUR standing ovations and was the show that turned my mild interest in Drum Corps to a fevered addiction. However, to be honest, this was a two corps race: Phantom's execution couldn't match Star or the Cadets. In the end, I have to go with Star of Indiana: they won both the brass and percussion captions, and it was only some questionably low visual scores that kept them from winning it all. The angry, violent ending to Star's show was not only fitting but possibly the best ending in DCI history. Star did something so far outside the norm, and they did it SO well. This show was truly ahead of it's time, and that's why I have it ranked #2 on my list of Greatest Shows of All-Time.

(I love all of the top three from 1993 -- 1st through 12th, one of the best years in DCI history -- but think Star was the best.)