Your Opinion On Drum Corps

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

LMHSMetalGod
Section Leader
Section Leader

Your Opinion On Drum Corps

Post by LMHSMetalGod » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:34 am

I'm in need of your opinion on Drum Corps. Please reply by telling me which Drum Corps you think is the best. Your opinion does not need to reflect the 2004 Tour of Champions final standings(division 1). Just reply to this posting.

My opinion is as of the Corps as a whole, the S.C. Vanguard is the best. As of hot Colorguard girls, it is the Blue Devils.^_^

Any way just a short reply is necessary, I don't need a reason. Thanks a lot!!!!! :D

[Corrections by Phantom Phan in bold... for god's sake, man.]
GIT R DONE

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Your Opinion On Drum Corps

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:42 pm

StraightWintrGuardDude wrote:Please reply by telling me which Drum Corps you think is the best.
Take a wild guess.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:53 pm

Oh Kevin...you remain my idol...Good GOD man...I'm bustin' a gut...

OK...well...for this straight dude in winter guard :? ...

The openendedness (if that's a word) of your question is confusing. Do you mean which corps is our FAVORITE? Because "best" in the activity of drum corps is VERY, uh, subjective to say the least.

Because the best drum corps in drum corps is the Velvet Knights.

Anyone want to debate that? Oh sorry...I meant FAVORITE.

As in best historically speaking (if you consider DCI to be THE history of the activity), then Blue Devils are the best. Cadets are 2nd. And I believe Santa Clara is third...and then my memory starts getting hazy.

And I believe the immaturity of your last point about "hottest girls" speaks for itself. But then again...I guess girls do the same thing about those "hot Cavalier guys". Once you get past that...you'll see some tremendous coordinated, trained, and outrageous performers in these guards at the DCI level.

The BEST guard? Did you ask that? No? Oh...was just checking...

XbassclefX

Post by XbassclefX » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:46 am

I say blue devils!!! woot woot!

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:20 pm

For me,

I say Cavaliers are my "best" corps. Santa Clara a close second.

About VK.....what was the year that the VK DM mocked Phantom's DM?
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:26 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
StraightWintrGuardDude wrote:Please reply by telling me which Drum Corps you think is the best.
Take a wild guess.
The Cadets, right? :lol:

Anyway, with the current times being what they are, I'd say the Cavs are the best. My favourite corp is the Blue Devils but my favourite shows was done by the Cadets in 00.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:09 am

Rick_James wrote:About VK.....what was the year that the VK DM mocked Phantom's DM?
I "mocked" the SCV drum majors in my retreat ceremony antics back in 1987. I can't remember when VK mocked PR though? How was it done?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:42 am

formermarcher wrote:my favourite shows was done by the Cadets in 00.
2000 Cadets was a fantastic show, one of the all-time great shows.

For me, my FAVORITE (not necessarily BEST) shows, by year:
2004 - Cavaliers
2003 - Phantom Regiment
2002 - Cavaliers
2001 - The Cadets
2000 - Blue Devils/Santa Clara Vanguard
1999 - Santa Clara Vanguard
1998 - Santa Clara Vanguard
1997 - Santa Clara Vanguard
1996 - Phantom Regiment
1995 - Phantom Regiment/Santa Clara Vanguard
1994 - Blue Devils
1993 - Phantom Regiment/Star of Indiana (or the Entire Top 7. Awesome Year)
1992 - Madison Scouts
1991 - Star of Indiana
1990 - Star of Indiana
1989 - Phantom Regiment
1988 - Madison Scouts
1987 - Santa Clara Vanguard

Hmmm. Phantom made the list 5 times, Vanguard 6. Maybe I should change my name to "Vanguard Fan." ;) But I've long said that they are my two favorite corps.

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:37 am

RyanTurner wrote:
Rick_James wrote:About VK.....what was the year that the VK DM mocked Phantom's DM?
I "mocked" the SCV drum majors in my retreat ceremony antics back in 1987. I can't remember when VK mocked PR though? How was it done?
'87 was a great year for VK! Drumline was off the rictor...I really miss that corps :(

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:33 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
formermarcher wrote:my favourite shows was done by the Cadets in 00.
2000 Cadets was a fantastic show, one of the all-time great shows.

For me, my FAVORITE (not necessarily BEST) shows, by year:
2004 - Cavaliers
2003 - Phantom Regiment
2002 - Cavaliers
2001 - The Cadets
2000 - Blue Devils/Santa Clara Vanguard
1999 - Santa Clara Vanguard
1998 - Santa Clara Vanguard
1997 - Santa Clara Vanguard
1996 - Phantom Regiment
1995 - Phantom Regiment/Santa Clara Vanguard
1994 - Blue Devils
1993 - Phantom Regiment/Star of Indiana (or the Entire Top 7. Awesome Year)
1992 - Madison Scouts
1991 - Star of Indiana
1990 - Star of Indiana
1989 - Phantom Regiment
1988 - Madison Scouts
1987 - Santa Clara Vanguard

Hmmm. Phantom made the list 5 times, Vanguard 6. Maybe I should change my name to "Vanguard Fan." ;) But I've long said that they are my two favorite corps.
Well although my knowledge of shows cannot compare to yours, Phantom, I can agree or disagree with some of your picks.

For example:
I agree with the Cavs 2004, but I also really enjoyed Phantom 04. I'd also add SCV 03 onto the list, cause I'm wierd like that. And of course I agree that the Cadets 00 was one of the best shows of all time. hence why I love it so much. Ah...to play anothers horn...

As for 1999 SCV, well I really wouldn't but that on my list. Although I love to hear Blue Shades done as a field music (because I really love that piece, one of my favourites) the show itself just didn't do anything for me. Well, it did when I first heard it but after a few times of listening (and a few times seeing it) I wouldn't include it in my favourites. I'd put it in the middle of my list of drum corp shows though.

Do tell what you think about pre-1980 BD, for example BD 1976. Or rather, what do you think about pre 1980 Drum Corp on a whole?
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:53 pm

formermarcher wrote:I agree with the Cavs 2004, but I also really enjoyed Phantom 04.
Me too. I really liked the brass book. SCV '04 was actually (gasp) a bit of a disappointment for me. It was a very well-performed show, but it didn't GRAB me like I expected it to.
formermarcher wrote:I'd also add SCV 03 onto the list, cause I'm wierd like that.
I didn't much care for that show, actually... though the drum solo section ("Anima Mundi") rocked the casbah.
formermarcher wrote:As for 1999 SCV, well I really wouldn't but that on my list. Although I love to hear Blue Shades done as a field music (because I really love that piece, one of my favourites) the show itself just didn't do anything for me. Well, it did when I first heard it but after a few times of listening (and a few times seeing it) I wouldn't include it in my favourites. I'd put it in the middle of my list of drum corp shows though.
Here we part ways. 1999 was my only (so far) trip to DCI Finals, and SCV's Saturday night performance was simply the most electric, energetic show I've ever seen from live drum corps. I thought, effect-wise, they absolutely smoked every other show that night. BD's performance afterwards, though crystal-clean, was anti-climactic.

1999 SCV makes my Top 10, maybe my Top 5 all-time.
formermarcher wrote:Do tell what you think about pre-1980 BD, for example BD 1976. Or rather, what do you think about pre 1980 Drum Corp on a whole?
Generally, I don't care much for pre-mid 80s drum corps. The shows from the 1970s and early 1980s just don't do it for me.

With two exceptions.

1976 Blue Devils.
1982 Phantom Regiment.

FANTASTIC shows, AWESOME musical performances.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:04 pm

Phantom Phan wrote:
formermarcher wrote:I agree with the Cavs 2004, but I also really enjoyed Phantom 04.
Me too. I really liked the brass book. SCV '04 was actually (gasp) a bit of a disappointment for me. It was a very well-performed show, but it didn't GRAB me like I expected it to.
Oo, you mentioned SCV 04. I must say I disagree with you. When I first saw in Alhambra (theater-boradcast) as I couldn't make it to Denver this year I was genuinely moved by it. I thought the music was clean, the drumline on FIRE (as they were) and the movement crisp. Maybe its because I love the mood and tone of music set by the opening two minutes or so (the mystical-Egyptian in my opinion) The ballad here in the show also really captivated me as it is one of the best ones I have ever heard.
If you want to talk about attention grabbing...then I will say that the closer did it for me, in particular the last 4 mintues after the drum line feature (which in itself was very very well done). I just have to say that towards the end of the show the part that really got me moving was the backfield playing then turning around while hitting a huge cresencdo. The strong finish followed by the soft "second ending" really adds a touch of falvour to the show, in my opinion...and who can forget the "VANGUARD" shouts?

Essentially its the type of music and the musical level in which it was played while the story is portrayed on the field. The various rythms and suddeny dynamic changes really do wonders for me, and any chord that is loud and well played makes the show an instant interest of me (I'm a sucker for loud chords). I guess you cna say it didn't grab me in the sense that it was an intense show, but it did grab in the sense that its a very beautiful show with lots of lyrical moments to it.

Thats just what I have to say.

Schimmy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Schimmy » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:50 pm

1. Vanguard '87
2. Star of Indiana '93

Everything after that is not even close. The reason I liked those two shows the best was the incredible designs of the show and the utterly flawless performances by both groups.

Here are my favorite shows by group:
Cavies '04
Blue Devils '82 (all captions!)
Phantom '89 (could have been '88, I have always liked Phantom but they are never in my book as good as the top corps)
Madison (pick a year, they are all the same except for the performance level)
27th Lancers '80 (best overall year of drum corps)
Bridgemen '80 (ibid)
VK '87 (about the only year I liked them, no offense)
Cadets '83 (probably one of the most influencial shows of all time, along with '80 SCV, '87 SCV, and '93 Star)

If the question was aimed at trying to pick a corps to join you need to be a little more specific about what you do and what you like in a corps. If you are young I would suggest going to SCV Cadets or Mandarins if you are in northern CA. Both of those corps take very good care of their members and have consistantly put out quality products.
"The audience is always listening"

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:54 pm

I can't remember when VK mocked PR though? How was it done?
I heard from my band director that the drum major would have a huge stick/baton in the back of his jacket that went down to his lower back, and he would break it out like Phantom's DM does.
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:04 pm

Generally, I don't care much for pre-mid 80s drum corps. The shows from the 1970s and early 1980s just don't do it for me.
Ditto.

My list...

2004-Cavaliers
2003-Phantom Regiment
2002-Cavaliers *top 5*
2001-Blue Devils
2000-Cavaliers
1999-SCV *top 5*
1998-SCV
1997-BD
1996-BD
1995-BD
1994-BD *top 5 * listen to the sops at 3:05 :shock: :shock:
1993-Star
1992-Cavaliers
1991-Star
1990-havent herad too many shows from this year
1989-SCV *top 5*
1988-BD *top 5*
1987-SCV
1986-BD