Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Drum Corps In Nevada!

Post by sokkerboie » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:58 pm

These are exciting times!

Summit Youth Arts Association will field SUMMIT DRUM & BUGLE CORPS from Reno/Sparks, Nevada in 2005. This corps will be led by Corps Director Brent Cooper (SCV) and an amazing staff from programs such as The Cadets, The Blue Devils, The Glassmen, The Troopers, Carolina Crown, Music City Mystique, BLAST!, Pride of Cincinnati and MORE!

This is the first time that drum corps will be fielded out of NEvada and SUmmit YOuth Arts has paved the way with Summit Winter Guard in 2004.

Auditions are on going through the winter and information is available at www.summit-youth-arts.org or (775) 762-5377.
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:18 pm

To: All Prospected Members

I would like to wish all who is going to be auditioning for Summit Drum & Bugle Corps this season the very best of luck. And I cant wait to see you guys performance this summer.

:D 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:22 pm

Thank you! I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with the talent from Nevada!
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:57 pm

I'm would like to know who is the Corps Director for Summit Drum & Bugle Corps. I'm just looking to voulunteer out a Corps with any help they might need at all.

8-) :P :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:16 pm

Brent Cooper is the Corps Director. His email is bcooper@summit-youth-arts.org

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:26 pm

Hey! sokkerboie

Thanks so much for getting me the Corps Director email for me. I will be inquiring already. I hope to help in anything that needs to be done.

:roll: :P 8-) :D
Last edited by MusicCoach on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

LMHSMetalGod
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LMHSMetalGod » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:54 am

Thats a good instructor line up, even if the audition talent isi bad, they'll be pretty good soon enough

The best wishes for yall!!!!
GIT R DONE

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:07 pm

This is very cool...I love seeing drum corps spreading to the mid-west. I would really like to see a drum corps come out of SLC, UT...or anywhere in UT really. On a high note though, the number of drum corps being formed each year is finally higher than the number of corps disbanding, for the past couple decades the number of drum corps has been declining each year, but the number of corps and fans is finally on the rise once again!
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:51 am

StraightWintrGuardDude wrote:Thats a good instructor line up, even if the audition talent isi bad, they'll be pretty good soon enough

The best wishes for yall!!!!
Thanks. But we never approach our programs or kids with the idea that talent is bad- just unrefined. Every program has the challenge of training members stylistically and helping them to undertsand and apply programmatic systems. I think one of our greatest strengths is that all of our staff are (1) teachers and (2) teachable. Look for good things coming from this program :)

Chad Cornwell

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:48 pm

Summit Drum & Bugle Corps is EXCITED to annouce the January camp for 1/14-16, 2005 at Reno High School in Reno, NV. This corps will feature brass, percussion and color guard rehearsals, marching and maneuvering and LOTS OF FUN!

Come meet the staff, meet members and have a great time.

For more information check the web at www.summit-youth-arts.org or email bcooper@summit-youth-arts.org.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:52 pm

I sure hope you can keep folks out in the "community" updated on what's happening with your corps. I'm glad to see some action happening in the state of Nevada. I pray that this will be a well-run organization with the interests of the performers first and foremost.

As for Goth--I have my doubts about a corps ever starting in the SLC area due to its demographic make up and the general avoidance of doing anything on Sundays besides go to church. If you get my drift...

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:49 am

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Summit Youth Arts has spent many hours developing an Administrating infrascturcture that will ensure (1) longevity for our programs and (2) success, learning and fun for our kids. Some of our Administrative staff have extensive backgrounds in arts administration (large, medium and small theatre and dance comapnies across the US) and we have worked hard to build a program that is sounds and makes good decisions.

These are exciting times! Our winter guard saw some great success last season and are on the right track this year (we just got back from CCGC Evals this weekend). We decided to put the drum line on hold to allow students to perform with their high school programs (we felt our support of high school programs was more important at this point). We are building a Percussion Education Series that will bring Sandy Rennick, Jeff Queen and Bill Bachman to town in the next few months, we are growoing our middle school color guard training program, a dance company and now a drum corps.

SO keep looking for GREAT things out of RENO!.

Summit Drum & Bugle Corps is set up to house students from out of the Northen Nevada region who woud like to stay in Reno for the summer and travel and perform with the corps. Contact BRent Cooper @ bcooper@summit-youth-arts.org for information.

HOPE TO SEE MANY STUDENTS AT THE JANUARY CAMP 1/14-16!

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:21 am

Hey! sokkerboie

This new drum corps is going to be looking very promising. I cant wait to see this corps performaning. Especially all the admistractors and instructional staff who is involve to make this corps very good in the first year.

:P 8-) :D
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:35 pm

REMEMBER DRUM CORPS JANUARY CAMP IN NEVADA IS COMING SOON!

JAnuary 14-16 (Fri 6:00pm-Sun 2:00pm) at Reno HS in Reno, NV. Camp for brass, percussion and color guard. Spots are offered on an individual basis and could be offered at this camp.

Housing and ground transportation in Reno is available for those coming in from out of town. Contact Chad Cornwell at ccornwell@summit-youth-arts.org or (775) 762-5377 to make arrangements.

This will be an exciting season for drum corps in Nevada! Don't miss out!

20 brass, 14 color guard and 26 percussion spots open!

for more information contact corps director Brent Cooper at bcooper@summit-youth-arts.org

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:21 am

Hi! sokkerboie

I was wondering what kind of percussion spots are available. For ex: Battery or pit or both. Plus was wondering who is currently the Pit Caption Head or their instructors/tech for this corps.

:D :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*