DCI in Theaters Tomorrow!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

DCI in Theaters Tomorrow!

Post by FourEyes85 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:33 pm

Woo hoo! I'm so excited about this! Div I Quarter Finals with uber cool movie theater audio! A bunch of Tustin High people will be at the Irvine Spectrum showing tomorrow evening! Got tickets from Fandango! heh.

Who else is goin? :D
Signature goes here.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:37 pm

Grrrrrr to not being able to go outside cuz of recovery.

Hopefully the new parking structure is open at the Spectrum.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

DanielE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DanielE » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:31 pm

I was going to go to the Irvine one with my friends, but they were sold out.....so, we called up the Alhambra one, they had tickets....but it turns out Alhambra is about 4 hours from San Diego (Which is where I am for 2 days), so all my friends are going to Alhambra, and I'm going to the San Diego one all alone.....but who cares.....IT'S QUARTER FINALS!!!!
Chino Hills High School Percussion Ensemble

Tenor:03-05

CaptainKiki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptainKiki » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:49 am

I can't go. :( My GUARD CAMP ends tomorrow, and as a leader, I shouldn't ditch. :cry:
Woodbridge High School
2003 - "It Spins Us Around": (BE THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! Not the Air Conditioner)
2004 - "Pacific 231": (GAME ON!)
2005 - "Master of Suspense": (In the RIDER)
Color Guard Co-Captain 2003-2005
Class of 2006 :)

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:54 am

I'll be attending the one in El Hambra.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

florescentmarcher00

Post by florescentmarcher00 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:18 am

DanielE wrote:.....but who cares.....IT'S QUARTER FINALS!!!!
I totally agree. Not like any hype has been built up to this. Same ol' top 4 corps, then everyone else follows... I mean, I want to see it, but I'll wait along with the rest of the west coasters to check it out live, rather than eat popcorn, and get all giddy about watching quarters in a theatre. Just doesn't do anything uber special for me.

:)

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:44 am

i wanna go soooooooooo badly but i can't my parents are working and i ahve other plans :cry:
Nothing is impossible with God!

florescentmarcher00

Post by florescentmarcher00 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:02 pm

Go see it live then when it comes to the Rose Bowl, and Qualcomm...pick one, as the potential Top 6 will be there. I'm sure tickets are available for both shows.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:04 pm

florescentmarcher00 wrote:Go see it live then when it comes to the Rose Bowl, and Qualcomm...pick one, as the potential Top 6 will be there. I'm sure tickets are available for both shows.
i'll be gone at house boats..... :cry: now i get to be even more sad.....but i hope everyone else has fun :lol:
Nothing is impossible with God!

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FourEyes85 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:19 pm

florescentmarcher00 wrote:
DanielE wrote:.....but who cares.....IT'S QUARTER FINALS!!!!
I totally agree. Not like any hype has been built up to this. Same ol' top 4 corps, then everyone else follows... I mean, I want to see it, but I'll wait along with the rest of the west coasters to check it out live, rather than eat popcorn, and get all giddy about watching quarters in a theatre. Just doesn't do anything uber special for me.

:)
hmmm...I can't tell if DanielE is excited that it's quarterfinals...or if he's saying..."It's just quarterfinals."

Anywho...yea, I'm at Rose Bowl next week. But DAMN! It was soooo much fun in the theaters. The sound was friggin awesome. The crowd was a lot of fun too. It was just like being at an actual show. I mean, sure, it's quarterfinals, but it was still a lot of fun seeing how everyone placed. Lotsa surprises here and there. And Carolina Crown came outta nowhere. The vocal thing was a little distracting and showy...but hey, I guess the judges liked it.

Woo hoo for Vanguard! They still have a chance.
Signature goes here.

DanielE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DanielE » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:03 pm

I was saying I was excited.........

I have to agree with you on Carolina Crown! They were really good!!!! I was really surprised by their show and how good it was......as was everyone else.....but did anyone here how The Blue Coats were welcomed into Denver? It was so sad.....

And of course, Cavaliers, SCV, BD, Cadets, Phantom and Scouts were amazing.....
Last edited by DanielE on Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

DCI Quarterfinals in Irvine

Post by Teever » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:19 pm

Wow, watching quarterfinals from a relatively comfy theater seat and having great seats and a HUGE screen was an outstanding, if not somewhat surreal, experience. The Irvine location was no where near sold out - even if the sign out front insisted it was - they just moved the show to a different theater, rather than the IMAX one as advertised. The theater was about half full, and it was one of the more interesting theater crowds - people clapped and cheered just as if they were at the show (after some point, I just stopped being annoyed at the silliness of this), even shouting out during parts of shows and some standing at the end - kinda wierd, but fun. The $18 ticket was kinda steep to watch a broadcast - the same cost as the "value seats" at the Rose Bowl - but you did get to see the full show of a lotta corps you usually don't get to see in the miniscule PBS broadcast version of finals (watch for that after Labor Day).

BTW - Daniel, the crowd was not "booing" the Bluecoats - they traditionally shout "Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuue", so they were being supportive, not rude.

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:56 am

San Diego was relatively quiet. I cheered for my Cavie guard friends and people just looked at me funny. There was a group in the back that was making these great comments. The one girl they interviewed after her show said everything was awesome....and they all said..."AWESOME" after she finished her interview. They were also doin "ARRRRGS" during the pirate show. That was funny. Whenever someone would drop equipment one guy kept say "NO DROPPING AT NATIONALS!". That was great. Two girls in front of us made commentary on hair styles. That was funny too. I wish SD would have been more active. This isn't the movies for gawd's sake.

DanielE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DanielE » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:28 pm

BTW - Daniel, the crowd was not "booing" the Bluecoats - they traditionally shout "Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuue", so they were being supportive, not rude.
haha....oops.....well.....a few of the people next to me thought it was "boo" also.

But yeah, I wish The San Diego theatre would have been more "loud" too.....I was the only one who yelled Vanguard (not really yelling, just saying it really loud...haha) during the end of their show......but that was funny during Magic's show when that guy in Denver yelled "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE RUM?!?!?!
That was so funny......

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:44 pm

lol the first time i heard BLUUUUUEEEE i thought they were boos too lol hahahaa
the theater show was pretty cool all the corps were AWESOME! just awesome! i was at the al hambra one, the sound went off for a moment during cavaliers! argh! that sucked. oh well

i'm not too sure about drum corps singing in the field. i like the whole corps singing/chanting somthing together. it looks cooler and sounds better with everyone doing it together (at least in my opinion). but it was very good anyway!
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/