DCI Crowd shouting traditions?

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

DCI Crowd shouting traditions?

Post by FourEyes85 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:04 pm

There might be a post about these already, but if not, I'm really curious about this.

I'm talking about right before the corps enters the field or even when during the show. I know a lot of it is random cheers but I know some are traditional. Two I know of are like when you cheer for a random girl's name when the Cavies come on. The other one I know of is like when SCV has a big rest in the show and the guard has an amazing toss, hardcore fans will yell "Vanguard!"

Does anyone know of any other ones? Please share.
Signature goes here.

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:11 pm

"drum major...is your corps ready?" "THEY WERE BORN READY!!"

thats also for SCV

"bllluuuuuuuuu" for Bluecoats

I have heard a few times people yell "REAL DRUM CORPS" during a Madison Scouts' show
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FourEyes85 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:20 pm

Rick_James wrote:"drum major...is your corps ready?" "THEY WERE BORN READY!!"

thats also for SCV

"bllluuuuuuuuu" for Bluecoats

I have heard a few times people yell "REAL DRUM CORPS" during a Madison Scouts' show
I knew it! Somebody tried to tell me that "They were born ready!" was actually for BD.

Anyone have any debate on that one?
Signature goes here.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:26 pm

They were born ready...

um, no debate, but I don't ever remember hearing that one for SCV. Honestly, I think the "they were born ready," and "they're always ready" chants are for BD...buuut, that's just my thoughts...I really don't remember hearing any chants of that nature.

BUT, I do know that for some odd reason, "hardcore" SCV fans will look for a 4 count break to yell "Vanguard!!!" each and every year it seems to happen.

When did this one start??? I have no idea.

I think all of this was on another thread somewhere...probably will get blocked by some mod here pretty soon, so we'll chat in the other thread.

hahahah...

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:56 pm

the "Vanguard yell" actuallys tarted with the SCV Cadets, theyw ould stick around to watch their big bros and would find a break in the show before a big hit and would scream "Go Vanguard". That later transfered on to the fans.
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:58 pm

Anyways some call that good luck to SCV but they dont need it cuz they are going to win DCI

I like how the random girl name comes out that happens in more than just that Corp right??
Show my Pride witht the SCV (Future Corp) Yep Yep!!!!!

Lead, Follow, or get out of the way!

-Dave Kuhns

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:14 pm

Well, not necessarily. The girl names are kind of a jab to the Cavaliers, because the Cavaliers are an all-male corps. I don't know if people do that when Madison performs, but that is definitely a Cavies thing.
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:13 pm

For the last 3 years, the director of Yamato has made it a tradition to yell out the word boka before every performance, followed by a message of good luck for the corps.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:02 pm

Rick_James wrote:the "Vanguard yell" actuallys tarted with the SCV Cadets, theyw ould stick around to watch their big bros and would find a break in the show before a big hit and would scream "Go Vanguard". That later transfered on to the fans.
Well...not so. I know that was not the case. It started with the A-Corps...And I want to say it started in either 92, or 93 (93 for sure, but not so sure about 92), then it was a "hit" in 94,95,96,99,01,03,04? jeez...another point of useless drum corps information from yours truely. Never have I once heard it yelled with the cadet corps though, and I've seen them perform each year since 94...

-dawg

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FourEyes85 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:15 pm

clusknay wrote:
Rick_James wrote:the "Vanguard yell" actuallys tarted with the SCV Cadets, theyw ould stick around to watch their big bros and would find a break in the show before a big hit and would scream "Go Vanguard". That later transfered on to the fans.
Well...not so. I know that was not the case. It started with the A-Corps...And I want to say it started in either 92, or 93 (93 for sure, but not so sure about 92), then it was a "hit" in 94,95,96,99,01,03,04? jeez...another point of useless drum corps information from yours truely. Never have I once heard it yelled with the cadet corps though, and I've seen them perform each year since 94...

-dawg
I think Rick_James meant that the SCV Cadets would do the yell for the Vanguard.
Signature goes here.

Mad City
Rookie
Rookie

Madison Tradition

Post by Mad City » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:17 am

The "Bird Call"... someone I really don't know who, but for 20 years or so someone does the "Bird Call" when Madison comes out.
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done"

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:20 pm

the vanguard is carried on even through this year =D im so gonna yell it with foureyes85 at TOC woohoo!

I haven't heard of the 'birdcall' for the scouts :? is that more of a caw caw or a blrlrlrlrlr? lol

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:43 pm

Trumpet Man 05 wrote:Well, not necessarily. The girl names are kind of a jab to the Cavaliers, because the Cavaliers are an all-male corps. I don't know if people do that when Madison performs, but that is definitely a Cavies thing.

Trumpet Man 05, lemme remind you that the madison scouts are also an all-male corp, so that would explain why ppl would yell it then also =P but i believe this definitely started with the cavies.

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:30 pm

i think he understands that.. he said that he wassnt sure if they did it for scouts.. not that he doesnt know why they do it for the scouts
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

caretaker
New Recruit
New Recruit

dc yells

Post by caretaker » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:34 pm

Cadets 92 ->
"what a maneuver" pronounced "maneuvah"
....loooong story, but you can hear these same guys in several shows in 91, 92 and 93