Sacramento/Sunnyvale this weekend!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Sacramento/Sunnyvale this weekend!

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:01 pm

Not sure how much of you pay attention to the events calendar, but here goes.

Just a heads up that there still is plenty of drum corps going on in California. This weekend kicks off in Sacramento on Saturday, July 17th. Put on by River City Regiment & DCI, the West Coast Showdown takes place at Natomas High School and starts at 6pm.
On Sunday, July 18th, make your way to the Silicon Valley & Fremont High School in Sunnyvale for the California State Open. The show begins at 4pm.

Participating corps:

Pacific Crest
Impulse
Vanguard Cadets
Blue Devils B
Fever
Fusion
Oregon Crusaders
Blue Devils C
Renegades, Sr.
Dream, Sr.
River City Regiment, Sr.

http://www.rivercityregiment.org/showdown.html
http://www.drumcorpstickets.com/state_open/index.html (this has 2003 info on it, but the link for directions is still valid).

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:40 pm

Admission to the Sunnvyale show is as follows:

Gen. Ad. - $12.00
Students/Seniors - $10.00

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:01 am

Hey! Everyone

I personally will be attending the show up in Sac/Sunnyvale this coming weekend. I will be performing with Dream Drum & Bugle Corps at both shows. I hope everyone have a great time there.

Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:23 pm

MusicCoach wrote:Hey! Everyone

I personally will be attending the show up in Sac/Sunnyvale this coming weekend. I will be performing with Dream Drum & Bugle Corps at both shows. I hope everyone have a great time there.

Are you sure??? I march baritone for Dream and I asked the other pit members who you were and they said they hadn't seen you for several weeks. You were NOT there. WHERE were you really?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:57 pm

Bandmaster wrote:
MusicCoach wrote:Hey! Everyone

Are you sure??? I march baritone for Dream and I asked the other pit members who you were and they said they hadn't seen you for several weeks. You were NOT there. WHERE were you really?
ouch, you got served, just kidding. well i hope everything gets fixed, i'd love to see everyone march =D

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:21 pm

Heh, I was at the Sacramento show. Got to spend much of the day with the Renegades since I carpooled with one of the contra players.

Dave, I didn't know (or forgot) you were marching bari in Dream otherwise I would have barged in to meet ya'!

Indiana
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Indiana » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:25 am

Did anybody see all the shows? Or at least see a few well enough to write a review? I noticed that our own Pacific Crest made almost a 10 point jump this weekend and are now fighting for a place in finals...
When you wish upon a star....

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

close call......

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:36 am

Wildabeast wrote:Heh, I was at the Sacramento show. Got to spend much of the day with the Renegades since I carpooled with one of the contra players.

Dave, I didn't know (or forgot) you were marching bari in Dream otherwise I would have barged in to meet ya'!
I just noticed your Avatar... someone with that logo on a black baseball cap and wearing a Blue Devils B t-shirt sat right in front of me for the last part of the show on Sunday. Dream went on near the beginning of the show, so I had changed into my street clothes and was taking photos of the corps performing. (Look for them in the media galley soon!) Was that you?
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Comments... not a review...

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:52 am

Indiana wrote:Did anybody see all the shows? Or at least see a few well enough to write a review? I noticed that our own Pacific Crest made almost a 10 point jump this weekend and are now fighting for a place in finals...
Since I run the website I try not to get involved with making personal comments about individual units, but I will just a little this time.

After I changed out of uniform with Dream, I got back into the stadium in time to see the Oregon Crusaders. The really surprized me!!! They were very good, much better than in past years! Fusion is a nice upcoming corps with a good start out of Canada. SCV Cadets are starting to get clean and are improving their presentation. Fever is making great strides and are a real contenter in Divison II. Blue Devils B is stronger than last year but still lacks balance in their horn line. Impulse has a good sound and much improved color guard, but their show is missing the visual highlights to match their music. Cartoon music is written to highlight visual gags.... and the gags aren't there....yet! Pacific Crest is really starting to crank up the excitement in their show and their marching is getting cleaner.

River City Regiment is sounding nice but needs a little more energy in their music. The Renegades have a great show with lots of potential, but it is still way dirty. But yeah, us seniors have until Labor Day to get it clean! Lots of time left. It's hard for me to pass judgement on Dream since I march the show, but we need to finish the show (we start learning the closing drill in a week) and get comfortable running it. It has real potential once finished. Us old farts don't get to rehearse as often as our younger counterparts. :wink:
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

psuedo review

Post by clusknay » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:19 pm

Indiana wrote:Did anybody see all the shows? Or at least see a few well enough to write a review? I noticed that our own Pacific Crest made almost a 10 point jump this weekend and are now fighting for a place in finals...
well...as of right now, they'd be ranked 15th...just 2.45 out of "12th." But they haven't seen anyone else in a while, so it'd be kinda lame to compare where they're at with regards to the rest of the corps. As for 10 points...well, did you also happen to notice SCVC's point jump? :-) Those things are going to happen when you don't have a show for a week, or two. If they aren't, well...then you had better hope for an extended season then. heheh

PC-I talked with one of their vis. instructors, and he said they'll be heading out to Indianapolis next weekend for the start of thier DCI tour. Hopefully they'll fair well. It is pretty amazing how they can be a weekend warrior corps, and still come out with a potential finalist show. I guess that's what structured, effective use of your time will do for you though.

I think the two corps that I was most impressed by were Oregon Crusaders, and Fever.

With Crusaders, they're in their first year of touring, and they have come out with some authority. The hornline has some SOUND, and it's not sheetmetal either! With their size, and sound they remind me of Mandarins a few years back...Though they are currently without a visual captionhead, it's been said that they are getting someone veeeeeeery solid to fill in for the last few weeks. They'll be in good shape...new unis are very classy as well.

Fever. Are these guys for real? 2nd year? Um, okay. They are!!! and they will be giving SCVC, and any of the Div. II corps out east a REAL run for their money come DCI. Horns sound pretty solid. Drumline had thier moments, and will clean up over the next few weeks, but man, props to the staff, young as they are, they rock.

:) tis all I guess...oh yea, this was all from Sunnyvale, at the lovely Fremont HS stadium.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: close call......

Post by Wildabeast » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:44 pm

Bandmaster wrote:I just noticed your Avatar... someone with that logo on a black baseball cap and wearing a Blue Devils B t-shirt sat right in front of me for the last part of the show on Sunday. Dream went on near the beginning of the show, so I had changed into my street clothes and was taking photos of the corps performing. (Look for them in the media galley soon!) Was that you?
Nope. I was wearing denim shorts and SCV's tour shirt from last year (says "Pathways" on the front). By nightfall, I was wearing a black CSUN (in red) hooded sweatshirt and parked my booty on the bench in the wheelchair area for the Renegades encore.
Last edited by Wildabeast on Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:52 am

Hey! Dave(Bandmaster)

None of the Pit members know me . Because none of them where there at the very first camp of the sesaon but expect , Catherine. I been having alot of medical problems lately. This weekend I will probably not peform but I will probaby be taking picuters since I got a DIGITAL CAMARA.

8-) :P

Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:33 am

So I know this is off topic, I guess...but "Music Coach," are you speaking in past tense? or are you talking about this coming weekend...

you never answered your "service" stating that you were infact in attendence at the show(s) this weekend...

eh, whatever

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

?????

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:49 am

MusicCoach wrote:

Hey! Dave(Bandmaster)

None of the Pit members know me. Because none of them where there at the very first camp of the sesaon but expect, Catherine. I been having alot of medical problems lately. This weekend I will probably not peform but I will probaby be taking picuters since I got a DIGITAL CAMARA.
Well, from what I was told you haven't attended a rehearsal in months. How could you perform... you don't know the music. What would you play on the marimba, scales? Where were your medical problems when you were telling people you are a member and were going to perform at the next show? Sounds fishy to me....
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster