Mandarins

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Mandarins

Post by Survivor » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:28 pm

What do you all think about this years Mandarins? Man there Samurai show is soo cool. At the Mt. Sac show they were great. I think they should have scored better. They were the first group that the crowd studd up for. Wow were they on fire. Good luck to them this year....

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:49 pm

I have to agree Mandarins should have got a much better score at MSAC show. I totally love their show this year. I even believe that they did a better show then what they perform at RCC on July 2nd.

P.S.

Keep Up the Good Work MANDARINS DRUM & BUGLE CORPS
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

Rick_James
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rick_James » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:57 pm

Their show is so cool. I was on the edge of my seat the whole tim. I wish them the best, we might have ourselves a top 12 corps here :D
"The lightning will knock down the tree and knock down your soul." -- Jeremy Lavine

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:17 pm

I do believe there is alot of the corps that would probably place in the top 12 ranks this year alone. But then that just my personal opinion.

:):)
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:22 pm

MusicCoach wrote:

I do believe there is alot of the corps that would probably place in the top 12 ranks this year alone. But then that just my personal opinion.

:):)
Yeah, I'm guessing about 12...
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:17 pm

You all have to give it to them.......there show was so great....2 Rifles was it that i saw.....O yes it was. man were they great they have a lot to improve on but for now this show should be the start of a new beging good luck in Colorado.......

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:22 pm

I to also hope they get top 12!... hey wouldn't top 12 earn them a spot on the DVD?
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Indiana
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Indiana » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:33 am

I was at the San Diego show and heard the Mandarins....
I'll probably be flamed for this, but i odn't understand how they're scoring so highly. Their sound is not the greatest....Their intonation was pretty poor and they overall sounded pretty week...But hey, that's just my opinion...
When you wish upon a star....

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:03 pm

Indiana wrote:I was at the San Diego show and heard the Mandarins....
I'll probably be flamed for this, but i odn't understand how they're scoring so highly. Their sound is not the greatest....Their intonation was pretty poor and they overall sounded pretty week...But hey, that's just my opinion...
Well...you probably won't get flamed, but merely to back what you're saying to some extent. In comparison to last years show...yes, I would agree that (it was back at Hayward when I saw them last), that their intonation was not at the same level as last year. It may be due to the fact that they are adapting the "run more, march less" factor and are suffering from fatigue...I don't know, but bottom line is, that they will overcome any wear/tear factors come Denver. They'll be just fine. Cool show though...they are one of the few corps that could effectively pull off a Samurai show.

scoobiedoo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by scoobiedoo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:47 pm

I loved the Mandarins show, but didn't like/disagreed with the singing part. I mean now with amps and pa systems being allowed, I can just see the next step of corps getting wireless headset mics for the "singing". :roll:

Also liked the fact that their uniform is totally unique and different from all the other corps "Cessario" cut jackets. I mean, last weekend all the corps except Mandarins, Dream and Impulse basically had the same uniform with different colours added,etc.

just my two pennies

Phil

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:44 am

i thought the singing was a nice touch, and yea thier uni's are unique... gotta give em props for being amp free... i heard there was one corp who has narration I think it was Boston and another corp had actual singing like three people up front or something singing in the show???
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

scoobiedoo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by scoobiedoo » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:57 am

wtran00 wrote:i thought the singing was a nice touch, and yea thier uni's are unique... gotta give em props for being amp free... i heard there was one corp who has narration I think it was Boston and another corp had actual singing like three people up front or something singing in the show???
Well we'll have to disagree. I think singing belongs on the stage not in drum & bugle corps. Years ago Garfield cadets sung "amen" at the end of their show and took a penalty for it. Singing just one word at the end of a show is one thing, but singing an entire section of a show unmic'd is another IMHO. The singing firstly wasn't loud enough and that's why I mentioned the next step to get em loud enough is to outfit all the singers with wireless headset mics.....and that's just NOT.........drumcorps, heh. :P

Yeah, I've read a lot of negative comments on ramd about the singers in an eastern corps.(I also forget who it was) Boston has some poor kid doing a "narration" or something. I think recently the mic didn't work and the particular show went without it. Many have posted support for the no narration of that show. It's been said it distracts from the show instead of adding to it.

Just my two cents, whaddo I know, heh. Our idea of "marching" was a high leg lift mark time, heh.

Phil

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:23 am

I totally agree. The Mandarins Drum & Bugle Corps are awsome this year. I do believe the singing part can be alot better then its stands right now. But do it was probably their 3 or 4th show of the season it was still great.

8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

CaptnContra
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptnContra » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:18 am

Indiana, I agree. I've seen the Mandarins show many times now and it just sounds like they're trying to compensate for their lack of size in the hornline ( 36 horns the last time I saw them ). Overplaying to try to compete with the full corps.

BUT fun show, GREAT costumes for the guard and Drum Major, and fantastic use of the taiko drums.

Don't think they'll be making finals this year though... Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Cascades, and Esperanza are all on the cusp but after seeing almost every Div1 corps this year I can say with all honesty that there are a BUNCH of solid shows and finals will be VERY competitive.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:00 am

I agree with Indiana, I havent seen Mandarins Drum & Bugle Corps alot this year to know how good there show would be compare to most Division 1 Corps. All that Mandarins are trying to do is suck up the load playing for not having a full hornline.

I will agree that they got great show, and also great costumes for the guard and Drum Major, and fantastic use of the taiko drums.

I'm not really sure that Mandarins will make FINALS this year either. To the most part Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Cascades, and Esperanza are all on the cause of probably being a good corps but probably not good enought to top the most better corps at this moment. Because they will be competing with the most competitive corps this year.

8-)
Moreno Valley HS
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*