Reminiscing Blast!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Reminiscing Blast!

Post by FourEyes85 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:33 pm

Ok first of all I'm sure there was already a thread on this long ago...but it's fun to remember right?

Second...I wasn't sure what Group this would go under. I put it in DnB Corps because they orginated from Star of Indiana Alumni. *shrug*

Ok, so anyway. Favorite songs anyone?

I know mine has to be Land of Make Believe because it just makes me happy. I remember that was the first Blast! song I saw because I was flipping channels and there it was...all orangy on PBS. It's just a happy song and really well performed by the group. It always makes me laugh and there's just a good aura coming from that bass line. I would always go to Disney's California Adventure just to see that (I have a pass).

It was always good stuff, too bad it's gone now. But Blast! is touring Asia.

I saw an ad somewhere about a woodwind version. And it was totally by the same creators and directors. I wonder what it will be like. It's supposed to be a smash in Europe. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Oh yea, and talk about your favorite Blast! song. :D
Signature goes here.

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:27 am

Yeah... Blast! rocks! My favorite songs have to be Bolero and Malagueña.. They do an awesome rendition of it and the percussion is insane on that song!

Blast! is a tizzight group and I hope that they keep on doing their thing...
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:02 am

Shockwave was the Blast! show that used a ton of electronics and some woodwinds. From what I know, the show ran in London with luke-warm reviews and audience numbers, I am pretty sure they pulled it after the first run.

Gabe

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:10 am

I've heard of shockwave!
one of my student teachers used to play at it
No regrets

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:05 pm

I think the show you are thinking about is called Cyberjam.
http://cyberjamtheshow.com

Shockwave... I'm not sure what happened to it. When I heard about it last year, it had opened in Walt Disney World, but since then I've heard nothing about it... unless Cyberjam was Shockwave.... or something like that I don't really know.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FourEyes85 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:53 pm

Yea, Cyberjam is what I was thinking of. I'm curious about it. But the electronic thing is kind of a turnoff really. But we'll see. I wonder if Shockwave is the same thing...hmmm.
Signature goes here.

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:22 pm

FourEyes85 wrote:Yea, Cyberjam is what I was thinking of. I'm curious about it. But the electronic thing is kind of a turnoff really. But we'll see. I wonder if Shockwave is the same thing...hmmm.
That I don't know. Shockwave is no longer being advertised, so I would assume that Sockwave morphed into Cyberjam.... but I could be wrong. Their website says nothing about shockwave anymore.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:57 am

I really have no idea what you guys are talking about, but thats not unusual. :lol:

I LOVE Malagueña SO much! The arrangement is fantastic (probably my favorite, despite the fact that everyone and their mother does Malagueña and they all do it differently) and of course the players are fantastic. The thing that really gets me about it though is the visual that goes along with it, though. The drill work is great, but oh man. I was SO distracted by the guard stuff going on, it was SO cool!
I think back in the day they did a really great Rhapsody in Blue that I really enjoyed as well, and Marimba Spiritual is really great too (heh).
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

guarddude
Veteran
Veteran

Post by guarddude » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:38 pm

You all do realize that most of the music from Blast! is a rehash. Check old DCI tapes.

GD