Esperanza Div.1????

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

bangla
New Recruit
New Recruit

Esperanza Div.1????

Post by bangla » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:10 pm

I dont know if you guys are fimiliar with Esperanza Drum and Bugle Corps. Well, they had a really nice show last year, and were champions of division 2. That was pretty awesome, but when i found out their stupid director put them in division 1, i was pissed. Yes they are good, but not good enough to go up against Blue Devils, Vangaurd, Cadets, etc. Also, i have heard from esperanza participants that their drum major, mike wojik (idk if thats spelled correct) cannot keep time, and they cannot keep together. If they plan on winning or at least not getting last, they sure need to get a better drum major, who wont make the corps fall apart. Tell me wat you think or if you know anything.

DCWest

Post by DCWest » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:44 pm

You are a fool, that what I think. I drove six hours down to San Diego to visit some friends AND to check out Esperanza. Let me tell you something... THIS IS A DIV.1 corps. I'm sure they did not set out this year to "beat BD or the Cadets" but they will make a dent and they won't be in last. I see you are from Vista High School, If that is in San Diego, My guess is you tried out, suck, got cut, and now you are a bitter little boy that needs to go back to school, play in your little high school drumline and learn how to spell.

Time for you to grow up!!!!

bangla
New Recruit
New Recruit

DUDE, ur dumm

Post by bangla » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:01 pm

I am from vista, and it is in San diego. For one, i didnt try out this year, but i was given a full ride my frosh year, and i am a junior now. they needed melo's and i am good at them. i dont play tenors until spring season with winterline, so your an idiot for assuming i am a drummer. Secondly, yeah u drove 6 hours for friends, but esperanza isnt worth the trip this year. i have friends in the corps, and they agree with my opinion, they hate the drum major and the directior. they wont get higher than 2nd to last is my prediction. I hope i am wrong, but that has yet to be proven. They are a good division 2 corps, but they arent cut to be division 1, so just check urself dcwest

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:45 pm

Dude, chill out. You surely arn't doing Vista high school or Esperanza any favors with the way you're talking.

Esperanza is a regional division 1 drum & bugle corps. They are not a member division 1 corps... there's a difference. Esperanza being financially stable enough to compete as a regional division 1 corps gives them great bennefits.
- larger crowds
- larger paychecks
- national awareness
- spot on the World Championships CD

And besides, the activity isn't all about competition. It's a great opportunity for the organization to do what they're doing this year, whether they are top 12 status or not.

Just enjoy the ride.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:04 pm

maybe this thread should be locked just in case hightenors04 gets angry again

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Re: DUDE, ur dumm

Post by MinCook » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:24 pm

hightenors04 wrote:I dont know if you guys are fimiliar with Esperanza Drum and Bugle Corps. Well, they had a really nice show last year, and were champions of division 2. That was pretty awesome, but when i found out their stupid director put them in division 1, i was pissed. Yes they are good, but not good enough to go up against Blue Devils, Vangaurd, Cadets, etc. Also, i have heard from esperanza participants that their drum major, mike wojik (idk if thats spelled correct) cannot keep time, and they cannot keep together. If they plan on winning or at least not getting last, they sure need to get a better drum major, who wont make the corps fall apart. Tell me wat you think or if you know anything.
This guy is a new poster, and still needs to learn posting ettiquette

Anywho...

I was very fortunate to see the Esperanza Percussion Ensemble's production of "Rumors" this year... and I can say they have a prettty smoking Pecussion program. Also they have a winter gaurd Esperanza de Luz that is pretty good from what I hear too. Sure, Div 1 Will be hard the first year but it is not all about "winning"... Its about laying down some clean beats and having good times.

PS
It is kinda ironic how Esperanza's Indoor drumline show was titled "rumors" and we have Mr. "hightenors04" spreading some. :roll:
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

PCCG

Post by PCCG » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:16 pm

I happen to know hightenors04 personally. In fact, I have marched with him in high school. He is a guy who has been affectionately known as "Hobbit" since he started high school. He plays french horn as his main instrument, but marched bass drum in fall of 2002, and tenors in winter/spring of 2004. He has caused problems in the drumline, but I have always tried to be nice to him and get along with him anyways. But THIS is an all time low for him...I cannot BELIEVE you said some of those things Hobbit, you should be ashamed of yourself...

Let me tell you a little bit about my experiences with Hobbit. Let me particularly refer to fall of 2002, when he was in the bassline. He conveniently had doctors' or dentists' appointments during rehearsal time practically once a week. He often would complain that he was sick or hurt and would get permission to sit in the stands and watch rehearsal rather than participate in it. He even hurt his arm once because he was playing on his roof (for God knows WHAT reason) and fell off. He used that as an excuse to sit out of rehearsal for about a week. Naturally, this caused him to be behind on things, and the other drummers would give him a hard time about it. They got on him for not knowing his music or drill, or for missing more practices. This is natural behavior from a group that is hard working and has one slacking member...after all, a drumline can only be as good as its weakest member.

But Hobbit apparently couldn't take the pressure. Multiple times during the year he would sit in the drum room and literally CRY like a big baby, tears and all, until our band director would go in to talk to him, then come out and gather the rest of drumline into his office to tell us to stop being mean to Hobbit, and to apologize to him because we hurt his feelings. Sounds like a real TOUGH guy, huh?

Hobbit, dude, think about what you say before you post stuff like that. All you have done is make yourself look like an immature IDIOT. You have absolutely NO right to be talking bad about ANY drum corps. YOU HAVE NEVER MARCHED IN ONE!!! In fact, if I know you at all, you aren't even that familiar with drum corps! Tell me, how many shows have you been to in your lifetime? One? Two? Maybe three? I don't even think that many. Seen a few videos, probably. How does that give you enough knowledge to know where a corps will place in ANY division? You have never even seen 90% of the corps that Esperanza competes against! And even if you had, let me ask you another question. How many times have you seen Esperanza this season? Huh? Let me count.....oh yeah, ZERO. You are basing this entire rant that you have made on a few things you have heard your "friends" say. And I bet if these "friends" read these posts of yours, bashing their corps like this, they wouldn't want to be your friends anymore anyway. Your argument has NO basis and means absolutely nothing. You have only succeeded in making yourself look bad and making many people who read this forum dislike you. Oh, and you have also made me permanently angry at you.

Maybe someday you will grow up, lose your incredible immaturity, gain some respect and integrity, and march drum corps yourself. In fact, I hope you do, it could do you a LOT of good. But until then don't you ever EVER talk bad about a drum corps again.

p.s. Maybe you should go back to elementary school. Then you could find some friends who have the same maturity level as you. And besides, you OBVIOUSLY never payed attention to your grammar and spelling lessons in elementary school the first time....dude, I could hardly understand what you were trying to say!

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:02 am

C'mon guys...lets not turn this into a full fledged war or words.

Hightenors, you need to be watching what your saying here on WoP. As I told you in marching bands, we respect other posters here on World Of Pageantry. If you cannot do that, then I suggest you do not post.

Justadrummer, although I understand your reasoning for giving us all information on Hightenors, what you ended up doing is contradicting yourself. You are telling hightenors to be more mature when in fact you join WoP, make one post, and thats to attack another poster. If you feel the need to do that, then please do so over PM's to people that actually want to know.

No one is solving this by posting replies to each other in attempts to make each other look bad. Its not helping.

So either swing the conversation to discuss Esperanza in a positive way, or stop posting on this thread all together.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

PCCG

Post by PCCG » Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:28 pm

formermarcher, I understand your point completely. I have actually been a member of the WoP forums for a few years, using a different screen name, and used to post sometimes but not at all recently. I registered a new screenname last night because I couldn't figure out my old password and I just got a new email address. Though I don't frequent these forums a whole lot, there are other online forums that I do spend a lot of time on and post a lot. I know what proper conduct is, and I generally would not launch a personal attack on someone in a public forum. In fact, I have never been inspired to attack a person for what they said at all before, even through PM.

I only posted what I did because I felt that the original poster needed to be taught a lesson, maybe get some sense knocked into him, so he doesn't continue to say things like this about Esperanza or any other corps, bands, drumlines, etc. Knowing him personally, it would have had absolutely no effect if I PMed him about it. I felt a little public scorning might possibly do the job, we'll see.

As for other posters reading this, you can ignore both my posts and Hobbit's, and hopefully let this thread fall down to the bottom of the list. The topic was headed downhill from the very first post, and needs no further discussion.

MOOOO

hey

Post by MOOOO » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:23 pm

I think Esperanza is definitely a great great corps. Do I think they should be in Div. 1? Well I think it should be a matter of what the members wanted and I know a couple people in the corps that said most of them didnt want to be Div.1 for at least one more year. Of course it is overall the directors choice and I think they will definitely not "suck". They will be better than the have ever been and will get their name around as a threat for upcoming years.(especially if they keep improving like they have been through the last 4 years). Do I honestly think they will make finals...no. But they wont go unnoticed.

And why do people have the idea that last place in Div 1 is bad. For such a young corps thats pretty good. Look at the olympics and do you think the person who gets last in the short race( whatever its called)is slow. Hell No! They are still competing with the BEST in the world and that says something.

Well Im done rambling. Just wanna say good luck to Esperanza and I hope they kick ass.

tSz42

Justadrummer

Post by tSz42 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:25 pm

Hey! You don't know me and well, I don't know you either...but [i]this is why I am posting this[/i]: I personally know this Hobbit guy you bashed on as well, and I just think that while you may think he is immature and lazy etc., your post bashing him just made you look immature and petty. However, I am not here to bash on you, that's silly. I just want to let you know that if you continue to use this discussion group that is supposed to be based on Drum Corps as a personal "I hate [u](fill in a name)[/u]" thread, then you will lose respect as a drummer who knows what he/she is talking about. Don't get me wrong, everyone has the right to post whatever they want, that's why I am able to post this. However, I suspect that you are a person who wants respect in this forum, and to keep that you need to check your personal feelings for other people at the door.

frausto86

Post by frausto86 » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:19 pm

For the sake of saving a lot of reputations, I petition this topic CLOSED.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:27 pm

Seconded.

We had someone posting on the right track, but someone decided to be childish. C'mon guys...drop it and move on. This thread still has the potential to be good.

I'm gonna put this bluntly, and I don't like having to say things like this...but...

End this childishness and end it NOW!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007