How do you manage it?!?

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

How do you manage it?!?

Post by VM Trumpet » Fri May 28, 2004 9:16 pm

I've been a member of WoP for about 6 months now and I keep seeing a recurring "thing" if you will. Whether it be in Off-Topic, Marching Band, or basically any of the forums, it seems like so many of you are in a drum corp or planning to enter into one. Several friends of mine and I am seriously wanting to do this as well. One thing that I'm not quite understanding though: how do you guys do it?

When I ask this I mean time-wise. A lot of you here are in high school and being a high-schooler myself, I don't see how you manage it? Can you all enlighten me in, even if you're a former drum corp person or even if you're marching in college. It seems to me like you would have to quit some other activity or sacrifice something major to do this.

Could you fill me in, please?

Thanks,
VM Trumpet
Last edited by VM Trumpet on Sat May 29, 2004 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

CaptnContra
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptnContra » Sat May 29, 2004 2:02 am

Well, a lot of people in high school only attend the major camp weekends and then practice at home in between. Once school lets out for the summer, most people ( if they don't live near the corps ) move in with someone that lives near the corps hall and basically lives and breathes drum corps for the next 4 months. Thats what I did when I marched corps. Work part-time after school and saved my money, then blew it all on the summers.

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Sat May 29, 2004 12:42 pm

A lot of the So. CA (or maybe all of them?) are weekend only corps during the off season. There is usually a major camp about once a month up until school is out. After that, the summer belongs to you and drum corps is in full swing.

Sure the activity itself can be expensive, but parents are willing to allow their children to participate when they learn that their kids are:

- learning discipline
- learning about self confidence
- learning about teamwork
- outside, and not inside staring at a computer monitor or TV
- off the streets and away from trouble
- being given the opportunity to travel around and outside their hometown.
- participating in a physically active activity
- enjoying themselves

It's a great activity to be a part of, more or less.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sat May 29, 2004 12:59 pm

stop procrastinating and manage ur time so u can do all ur school work. try working on big projects on the weekdays instead on sundays lol.

like bari benzo said some corps are weekend stuff and they have camps during breaks and long weekends and some still do weekends only when school finishes so people can also participate in summer school or have a job
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/