Opinions about Sr. Corps

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Evil_Renegade7

Re: Opinions about Sr. Corps

Post by Evil_Renegade7 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:58 pm

LTL'98 wrote:I have been debating weather or not to join a senior corps. I have considered Renegades, just because they are the most advanced Sr. corps in my region (no offense RCR). And I was just wondering what people think about the concept of corps after age out. Is it too late once you've aged out? Is it a feeble attempt at trying to recapture some of the glitz and glory of years passed, or can love for the activity be enough motivation to look past that ageist viewpoint?
Hi LTL,
To respond to what I think about the concept of corps after age is that I love it! I've done my years of marching junior and independent winter guard, but performing with the San Francisco Renegades has probably been the most fun I've had performing. And there's nothing like a DCA audience!

Renegades is currently open to members 18 years of age or older, and although we do have some members who are of junior corps age (under 22), they are few and far between in our corps! I believe the average age of our guard last year was 35.

The reasons for joining a senior corps are as unique as the members. In addition to being a social outlet for many, it gives everybody a chance to continue to perfect their respective crafts long after we've "aged out" of junior corps. We loved what we did then, and with growing up, maturing, and being wiser in many respects, we've learned to love our craft even more. There are quite a few number of outspoken individuals in the Renegades who will tell you that the music doesn't end when you're 22, or that you have to stop dancing or spinning. Although a great majority of us have junior corps experience, there are a few who don't. We welcome anybody who has the desire to learn and excel.

The California Senior Corps circuit is amazing. Dream, RCR, and Renegades are all really best friends, and we all support each other on and off the field. Thanks for your compliment about being the "most advanced", but RCR and Dream work just as hard as we do, and we always recognize each other's efforts. The West will be won again - it's just a matter of time.

One appealling aspect of senior corps is the rehearsal schedule. It's usually one camp a month starting in October (one camp being a ten hour saturday rehearsal and a 8 hour sunday rehearsal) to about April. As the summer approaches, it pretty much becomes an "every weekend committed" to your corps. As "easy" as it sounds, it really isn't sometimes since all of us have full-time jobs and families, etc. In addition, because of limited rehearsal time, we normally have outside sectionals in between camps. And then there's also fundraising events you have to commit to, whether it's Bingo (coming soon) or working a 49'ers or Giants Game (which is actually kind of fun).

Senior corps in general is much more relaxed. Because we are all adults, they'll treat you as such. Oh you can believe we can get silly, but we all have a thorough understanding of when it's work vs. time to goof. But I know this year at Renegades, with our sort of mission to finish what we started, we haven't had time to goof. The Renegades have managed to pull together some really great instructors and designers this year, a virtual "who's who" in the drum corps activity. In addition to Shirlee Dorrittie, we also have Carol Abohatab (San Jose Raiders, Cadets of Bergen County) and Chad Duggan (Madison Scouts, EveryBody Winter Guard) on our instructional staff.

DCA is an interesting experience. It's like a big family reunion or festival. Senior corps people aren't as intent on "winning" or being competitive as junior corps - it's all just a chance to have fun and perform. Oh, and because we're all of legal age, you can bet we can drink with the best of them. Good times! And if you ever get the chance to see the thing called Crunchy Frog, well....

Anyway, I hope that offered another thought on the matter. You're always more than welcome to come and check out our rehearsals. And be sure to come to our annual spring concert "LOUD MUSIC SYMPOSIUM 5" at San Francisco's Herbst Theater April 25th. Check out www.renegades.org for all things Renegade, all things Loud, and all things Evil. Take care!

Eric
San Francisco Renegades Senior Drum and Bugle Corps
Color Guard 2003 - 2004

DRUM CORPS IS EVIL
LOUD IS GOOD

ProjectLMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Sr. Corps

Post by ProjectLMan » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:51 pm

This topic sure has gotten a lot of responces, so here's mine....I'm going to be marching Drum Corp for the very first time in my life..........in a Sr. Corp. I'm not doing it cause I want to relive the good old days, I'm doing it because I have a chance to. When I was younger I didn't have the financial resources to march in a Jr. Corp. Now that I do, I'm not going to hold back. I've always loved the Drum Corp scene and I'm just glad that there are Sr. Corps that people like me can join. I've been going to the camps and let me tell you, it is so much fun. It makes me think of how much fun I missed not being able to do it when I was younger. I'm one of the younger ones in the group, but let me tell you that some of the older ones can kick a$$ and some probably have more strength and energy than I do. Just because you do drum corp when younger and age out, I don't think that you should let that be your limit. If you love it so much, then continue with it. Maybe some age out and stop there briefly because you do have to establish your life especially if you're in school, but I'm sure the day will come when you desire to be out on the field again doing what you love most. I am so excited and nervous about performing in front of a Drum Corp audience, but at least I'm going to be able to look back and say, "I did it!!"

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:47 pm

Good for you. :)

scoobiedoo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: thats terrible

Post by scoobiedoo » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:23 pm

dancingrl wrote:Thats terrible to say just because you aren't the right age that you should stop something you love. You can still support your favorite group and perform. But obviously a lot of aged out people don't believe that you should just give up because otherwise there wouldn't be sr. corps.
I totally agree.:) I "went on" after I finished corps 25 years ago. I "went on" to practice my butt off even more so I can handle pro gigs. Now I teach privately and play for a living. Still, when I was asked to join a senior corps I was all too willing to ablige. I have learned so much about playing in all this time it thrills me to help pass what I've learned on to those who are "come back" players. I'm definetly not reliving the past with this senior corps tho. Marching in my day involved a high leg lift on everything, 10 minute drills to build up the endurance for that too. Of course the marching backwards I guess is a little enduring but I digress. Point is even the senior corps of today(at least the ones I've seen so far) are not doing the old school stuff, but rather they're doing a lot of new school (to me anyway) from recent times. Life and gigs being what they are tho unfortunately I'm kinda in and out tho. Not rich enough to turn down paying work for a drumcorps contest, and the neat thing is the senior corps folks understand that.

Phil

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:47 pm

While Clusknay has the "right" to his opinion, I do take an exception to regarding the senior corps activity as a "feeble attempt" at trying to relive past experiences. While reliving the past may be part of people's reason, it certainly isn't the ONLY reason. But it also shows that while it may be your opinion, it seems that you've closed your mind to the possibilities of other motivations for participation in this burgeoning activity. I've seen debates raging up on other forums about exactly WHAT a senior corps is, and how the activity seems to be turning more to an "all-age" activity. Many of the senior corps seem to be getting more advanced in their show programming and design, and while not getting to the junior's "level", are quite entertaining and technically proficient. Certainly at least at the level where people don't cringe when a senior corps comes out on the field.

Senior corps is obviously serving some need out there for people. I for one think it's great.

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:59 am

I've always thought those guys were pretty cool. When I was doing a midwest tour in 02, you got to see various different senior corps.. during retreat they were always the funniest guys to be around, and they always looked like they were having a blast. There are a few times when I thought I wouldn't mind skipping the sunburn and the exhaustion and the limbs stiff from standing still, and just chill like they were. I see them as all the cool stuff about drum corps, minus the excruciating parts. Some people say senior corps tend to sound absolutely raunchy; some, I agree, do, but then so do some junior corps. There are plenty of senior corps that have pretty good lines and play cool shows with fun music that most junior corps are too sniffy to touch, and there is plenty you can learn simply from marching corps, junior OR senior.

The argument that after 21, you should move on, and marching senior is a feeble attempt to live in the past... well, be advised that it isn't tactful to pass negative sweeping generalizations like that.. but honestly, whatever makes you happy makes you happy. There are plenty of junior corps people who never move on, who live like nomads teaching here and there and all but live out of their cars until tour comes, then they live out of the staff bus.. and I don't think I'd be okay with myself if I lived like that.. but if that makes you happy, it hella beats waking up one random Saturday morning in your $2000 bed, with your $300 cell phone on the end table and a closetful of expensive business suits, only to realize how completely unsatisfied and unhappy you are with your life.

I used to march RCC, and I remember thinking at first, how weird! there are guys who are like, 25 years and older here (I was 16 at the time).. but I had soo much fun there. We all got along well and had a good time, and it was a blast performing, and pretty soon I could see why these guys kept coming back year after year. Plus my marching and playing improved just by marching and playing with these people who were so much more experienced than me. We didn't have much of a staff for the horns, but I learned a lot my first year. I suspect doing senior corps is like doing RCC... and if it is, I would totally recommend it.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:36 pm

I think that once you've aged out and you still love doing it then continue and join a senior corps. I dont believe just because you age-out you should stop marching. I mean that you can still have the opportunity to teach a line and if you want to continue participating in a senior corps.

:D 8-) :lol: :P
[/i]
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:39 am

Ya know....the senior corps idea is sort of nice. While you get some of the drum corps experience, you get to enjoy a lot more... The stakes are not as high, so there is a more laid-back atmosphere, I suppose. It seems to me that joining a Sr. Corps is something to do if you really enjoy the drum corps scene.

But really, I think that you sort of miss out on a lot of the experience, because it's NOT as intense. Hmm...I'm having a hard time getting what I want to say out, but my general point is that there is nothing wrong with DCA's, they're just doing something they love.

Though in DCI, oh my gosh, do you have to love what you do. But the drives, energies and passions are directed very differently.
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

DynaGlide
Rookie
Rookie

Senior corps

Post by DynaGlide » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:57 am

If you can do it, do it. It's not the things that we do that we regret; it's the things we don't.

I never marched corps but put in some time with Long Beach State BBMM (remember who passed out the uniforms for the Rose Parade?). If I had the time I would have been marching with Dream last night. GREAT PERFORMANCE!

I keep telling students and parents that they can play until they die if they want to and senior corps give the musical and social experiences we all need no matter our ages.

There are senior sports leagues of all kinds. Keep enjoying the marching and the music.

MusicCoach
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by MusicCoach » Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:13 am

Hey! Clusknay

I think you wrong in a way. But its your opinion. I thought that senior corps were for old people too. But I was totally wrong about it. Until I personally join a senior corps name Dream Drum & Bugle Corps. I also march Dave(BandMaster) of WoP site. Most folks would think that marching Senior Corps are not for recent age-outs. But they are wrong. Anyone can join a senior corps. No matter if you are a recent age-out junior corps member.

Plus I also agree with Dave(Bandmaster) if you really enjoy it. Then dont stoping doing it just because someone else says so. Keep doing it. Plus you can also being teaching a line at the same time.
:D :) 8-) :P
Moreno Valley HS
*Front Ensemble/Battery Instructor* 08-09
*Drill Designer* 08
Temescal Canyon HS
*Front Ensemble Instructor* 05-08
*Marching Instructor* 05-07
Tracy Community Drumline
*Co-Director*
*Music Arranger*
*Drill Designer*

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Okay...

Post by clusknay » Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:24 am

So I'm not completely writing off senior corps or anything...Their tends to be the running trend here: "if you can do it, then do it..." Which I'm totally for. If it's for you...Don't misunderstand me there...
For me personally...after aging out a few years back, I can't see myself ever doing anything remotely close to what I once did in junior corps. Is it like comparing apples to oranges? In a way, yes. Actually...it is. Reason being, the level of "intensity" as the previous post stated, is much different than that of Junior corps both at the Div II/III and Div I level.
I'm not disregarding senior corps all together...All I was trying to say is personally...I don't see myself marching senior just for the fact that aging out was the "next step" for me. Moving on, and carrying the values with me into my daily life...starting a family, while still enjoying teaching at the HS level (and having a majority of my summers free), is much more important to me than spending one weekend a month or whatever, possibly participating in a minimal tour of sorts, as well as competitions...it really wouldn't do anything for me at this point. I've lived it. I've done it...there is nothing left in that part of my life that I feel that I need to "prove" at this point...Fun? Maybe...Contacts/friends? Sure. Just giving some perspective...that's all. Sorry for the long windedness...but...just wanted to bring some clarification.