SCV's Rose Parade appearance.

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

SCV's Rose Parade appearance.

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:02 pm

Nice. Not only did they play for the cameras, they played TO the cameras.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

okay.

Post by clusknay » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:14 pm

They did make the effort to play TO the cameras...but what proceded to come out of whatever horns they were playing on...didn't sound all that well. Festive Overture sounded horrific, as it did at the SJ Christmas parade as well. Maybe the idea of alum/cadets/a-corps, and current auditionees, marching in this parade was a bad idea. Yes, it was a representation of old, and new, but in a way it could also be looked at as a recruitment if you will...to get the name of Vanguard out there. I don't recall a drum corps ever participating in an event of this magnitude. Maybe the group should've consisted of the past years vanguard/cadet members, and that's it. Maybe 150-200...but they would all be quality members that might give viewers a better idea of what the corps looks like. thoughts?

-Dawg

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:39 am

it didn't include current auditionees. Didn't hear the parade though.

NavyHubby01
New Recruit
New Recruit
Location: Now stuck in the middle of CA! In Lemoore of all places!

Post by NavyHubby01 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:01 am

From what I understand, the only other corps to participate was the troopers. I read that somewhere... I think it was on the DCI site. If someone could verify... thanks. And as for the recruitment part, I dont agree with Clusknay. They really dont need any recruitment at all, if any. It's more word of mouth and people actually seeing them in comps. In '87 I had friends that marched in the Freelancers, that's how I got exposed to the activity. I later bought CD's and brought in another friend who marched with the Blue Dev 94-96... my point is that they really don't need to recruit. I'm just happy they were in the Parade and at least the Travel Channel plugged the name DCI. It's nice to get the activity to the "main stream."
Thanks for reading :D , Ev
87-91 Pomona HS Marching Band (Pomona, Ca.)
92 Sound Machine (Street Only)
93 & 94 RCC Marching Tigers
95-97 Etiwanda HS Visual Tech
99-02 Ayala HS Visual Tech
2010- Freelancers Mini Corps
Go Navy!!!

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Cooo...

Post by clusknay » Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:34 am

The recruitment was merely a suggestion. As the corps is now over 80% out of state it seems...maybe the goal was not only national attention, but local as well. Who knows, maybe they will eventually end up with a group that rehearses more than one weekend a month unitl May (with the exception of that battery).

No auditionees in the parade. okay, that again was word of mouth.

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Rose Parade Drum Corps (And Youth Bands)

Post by Mr Pageantry » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:52 am

To answer that interesting question.. many drum & bugle corps have participated in the Tournament of Roses Parade in the past.. and so have Youth Bands.... The Troopers were the last corps to participate and carried a 25foot banner proclaiming them 'America's Drum Corps".... Other corps who have participated in the past: The 1st Canadian Regiment (Alberta Canada), The Midshipmen drum & bugle corps from Annapolis..... The Hamm's Indians from Milwaukee a senior corps sponsored by a beer company marching more than 200 people in full American Indian Regalia... The Hollywood Post American Legion Corps.. in the 40's . The Denver Post #1 American Legion Corps a number of times... and earlier before TV there were many local corps from so. cal out there... The Latest youth band to march was the famous Santa Ana Winds from Orange County, The Calgary Stampede Bands (a number of times), the Sampoerna Band from Indonesia... The British Legion Youth Band from England, and a 'senior band The One More Tim Around Again Band' with almost 400 people from Portland Oregon made up of former hs, youth and college band members.... and a number of others.... (I am still groggy from yesterday)... I may add more later... I do remember the Top Hatters Band and the Sherwood Foresters Youth Band sponsored by the order of Foresters.. and a youth band from Eastern Canada The Burlington Teen Tour Band that travels quite frequently... I also believe the Alberta Girls in their heyday made the parade one year....
Posted by Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

:wav:

scadesboi

Post by scadesboi » Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:46 pm

I can't believe everyone thinks they sounded bad. I was in the band right before them and I heard them play "Procession of the Nobles" before the show started, they were terrific!

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Behind the scenes video clip

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:50 am

Here's a link to a behind-the-scenes experience of SCV in Pasadena. Enjoy!

http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news.php?id=1073183618