MYSTIKAL STAFF RESIGNS

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: MYSTIKAL STAFF RESIGNS

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Well, speaking from personal experience of watching MY corps fail, VK would be the poster child of bad management. I wouldn't even know where to begin....

Up north, you had the very promising California Dons, Valley Fever (and then the recent incarnation known just as Fever), and Freelancers all suffer bad management decisions that led to the demise of these corps. Have to applaud Freelancers though because TECHNICALLY speaking the organization still exists and it's just a drum line for now.

thom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thom » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 pm

Sorry to see this happening!!!
Thom Willett

Brass Caption Head - SoCal Dream Drum and Bugle Corps

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:23 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Well, speaking from personal experience of watching MY corps fail, VK would be the poster child of bad management. I wouldn't even know where to begin....

Up north, you had the very promising California Dons, Valley Fever (and then the recent incarnation known just as Fever), and Freelancers all suffer bad management decisions that led to the demise of these corps. Have to applaud Freelancers though because TECHNICALLY speaking the organization still exists and it's just a drum line for now.
As far as the Freelancers go, in late 93 a bingo hall opened up a mile away accross the county line. They were able to give away much bigger prizes with much less ristriction. The freelancers income went way down because of that. It didn't have much to do with poor management. Not only do they have a drumline but they have a alumni horn line of about 60 and they took their first mini corps back to DCA this year. I would expect more from them in the future.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:46 pm

bighud1 wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:Well, speaking from personal experience of watching MY corps fail, VK would be the poster child of bad management. I wouldn't even know where to begin....

As far as the Freelancers go, in late 93 a bingo hall opened up a mile away accross the county line. They were able to give away much bigger prizes with much less ristriction. The freelancers income went way down because of that. It didn't have much to do with poor management. Not only do they have a drumline but they have a alumni horn line of about 60 and they took their first mini corps back to DCA this year. I would expect more from them in the future.
Then I stand corrected...my bad. Sorry. And 60 in the hornline???? WOW!!! that's impressive.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Oh man. Dan, when are Freelancers going to full fill my dreams and start a Sr. Corps? :wink:
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Quiksilveric wrote:I think Vore wanted to keep it to the corps in California who have folded due to bad management.
Matters not to me... but I could list at least 8-10 California corps which have folded due to poor management. Around the U.S. we could probably come up with at least a few dozen.

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."