World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:59 am 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:56 pm
Posts: 99
Location: Metropolis
Huge congratulations to both the Blue Devils 'A' Corps and 'B' Corps on their championship titles! What's even more unbelievable is that both corps went undefeated the entire season! An absolutely amazing feat by a truly oustanding organization. Congratulations again!!!

_________________
BiG BiRd
c/o 2006


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:25 am 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:50 pm
Posts: 803
Location: Covina, CA
This was a really great year for Drum Corps. After watching the Big Loud Live thing at Quarterfinals, two things became clear. One: There were some amazing shows this year. WHat kids are being aske to do while playing their instrument is simply staggering. And Two: Domes + Synthesizers balances the playing field WAY too much for my taste. It used to be only Phantom Regiment (and sometimes SCV) could blow you away with their Tuba/Euph/Baritone sound. Now we have push-button bass and synth patch warmth. Everyone sounds better in a dome and synthesizers (which I originally supported) make even the weakest hornline sound big full and rich.

Great shows, bad direction n soundscape. They need to scale back the use to "other" sounds and not allow them in the breadth of a chord. Effects and qualities, not reinforcement!!! my opinion!!

PS- Called it! Way to go BD


Last edited by BD94Euph on Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:00 am 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:52 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Los Angeles
BD94Euph wrote:
It used to be only Phantom Regiment (and sometimes SCV) could blow you away with their Tuba/Euph/Baritone sound. Now we have push-button bass and synth patch wamth.


I saw SCV this year a few times and they do still have an amazing low brass section!!

_________________
Music makes the impossible a reality!
http://www.HansMaestroMusic.com


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:06 am 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:50 pm
Posts: 803
Location: Covina, CA
...as do Phantom, Crown, BD, but all of a sudden corps 7-13 can generate a lush sound that they couldn't last year. oh well...good for the overall product, but bad for purists.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:06 pm
Posts: 705
Location: Gig Harbor
BD94Euph wrote:
good for the overall product, but bad for purists.


You sum it up well, but I still very much enjoyed SCV and Phantom sound, even with all of the electronic reinforcement. Even the indoor sound was cool, once everyone learned how to dial it in. 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:04 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 399
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
BD94Euph wrote:
...as do Phantom, Crown, BD, but all of a sudden corps 7-13 can generate a lush sound that they couldn't last year. oh well...good for the overall product, but bad for purists.



Fair enough. I think the purists can take heart in the fact that the judge down on the field is still behind the speakers. :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 am 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:50 pm
Posts: 803
Location: Covina, CA
BDinkel wrote:
Fair enough. I think the purists can take heart in the fact that the judge down on the field is still behind the speakers.


Sure, that ONE guy! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:31 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm
Posts: 641
Location: So. CA
I need a
grumpy
old man
emoticon...

:think:

(with large text so my fellow grumps can read it)

_________________
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:07 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:06 pm
Posts: 705
Location: Gig Harbor
8-)
There's the one that I use.....sorry I can't make it larger. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 52
Location: New York, NY
Yes, a big congratulations is definitely in order for BD. The entertainment of that show was truly epic. However, I believe that the "undefeated" term can't be applied. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that BD did not win the high brass award. I am not trying to create a war, but Crown was the best Corps MUSICALLY speaking. The visual staff of BD completely blew me away with the design/execution of the show. Congrats on a GREAT YEAR!!!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
bigcity wrote:
However, I believe that the "undefeated" term can't be applied. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that BD did not win the high brass award.

If that's your criteria, there's only been one undefeated corps in DCI history.

IMO, it's a baloney criteria. It's like saying a baseball team isn't "undefeated" because they gave up more hits to the other team. But all that matters is the runs.

All that matters is the total score. No one topped BD in that this season. They were undefeated.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:46 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 52
Location: New York, NY
Hostrauser

please don't think that I don't acknowledge an undefeated season. The BD were undefeated. A monumental task to achieve. I am taking nothing away from that accomplishment.

While it looks like I am new to the forum with only a handful of posts, i have been reading for quite some time. My schooling through out different parts of the nation have just engrained in me a different standard as to what I would want. I am 100% all about the music. I would value the "sweepstakes" award in music before anything else. That is all I am really trying to say. You are more than correct in comparing baseball to dci. Most runs win. I just wanted to give a shout out to Crown for the outstanding staff and brass playing. I was in college with some of their staff and it was good to see them rewarded with award.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7936
Location: West Allis, WI
bigcity wrote:
I am 100% all about the music. I would value the "sweepstakes" award in music before anything else. That is all I am really trying to say... I just wanted to give a shout out to Crown for the outstanding staff and brass playing. I was in college with some of their staff and it was good to see them rewarded with award.

Which is fine. Crown had a great show (my favorite show of the year, in fact). But you didn't need to tear down the Blue Devils to congratulate Crown. All that was needed was "Congrats to Crown on capturing High Brass and High Music" and left it at that.

My post wasn't an attack on your personal experience or your tenure on this forum, merely the way you chose to phrase things. 8-)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:45 am 
Offline
Section Leader
Section Leader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:50 pm
Posts: 803
Location: Covina, CA
DCI, or marching band for that matter, is just a bit more than a MUSIC ONLY production. There is a visual component, a guard component, an effect component...lot's of things. many of us band directors like the music caption the best too. Trust me, in our band we hype the music score, but give me a break. Did Blue Devils want to win music? Absolutely. Did their kids want that brass trophy? Absolutely. Were they still very happy to win with the second highest score ever? Absolutely. So, UNDEFEATED as they were...they are the Champs. Mad props to all corps this year as it was the strongest top 12 in memory.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 DCI Champions: The Concord BLUE DEVILS's!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:42 pm 
Offline
New Recruit
New Recruit

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:20 pm
Posts: 59
bigcity wrote:
Yes, a big congratulations is definitely in order for BD. The entertainment of that show was truly epic. However, I believe that the "undefeated" term can't be applied. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that BD did not win the high brass award. I am not trying to create a war, but Crown was the best Corps MUSICALLY speaking. The visual staff of BD completely blew me away with the design/execution of the show. Congrats on a GREAT YEAR!!!

Brass is only one component of the captions that look at music. If you base your argument on the overall musical product, then you would also need to consider Music Ensemble, Percussion, and Music GE. BD's net point total of those three captions was .1 higher than Crown. Therefore, BD was undefeated according to your criteria because they were, in fact, the best corps "musically speaking."


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics