The Grass Is Always Greener...

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

MBOS CD
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: The Grass Is Always Greener...

Post by MBOS CD » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:03 pm

YES, Vore is correct! The DCI sheets have changed, at least 3 times, since Star took the field in '93.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:49 pm

I understand that, but I think you're still missing the point. The scale has always been a hundred points. And ever since the build-up system was implemented in 1984, 1st place scores have always consistently been in the 97s and 98s, regardless of sheets used. I mean, the Blue Devils have scored 98.4 on, what, four different sets of sheets now?

I still think it's amazing, regardless of sheets used, the Carolina Crown has achieved a higher DCI Finals score than Star of Indiana or the Madison Scouts ever have.

MBOS CD
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MBOS CD » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:27 pm

Yes 100 points is the ultimate goal...
However, there are so many variables that have changed the activity like:

Who was on the panel?
Were the hash marks visible?
Size of panel?
Was J.J. Pipitone on field percussion that night?
Were scores averaged?
Did Boyle really give Garfield a 20.0?
Which sheets were used?
Maybe the judge doesn't like Blue? or Red? or Green? or Cream?

On any given night, anything could happen and don't count Garfield out until Sunday...

Competition dynamics...GOTTA LOVE IT!

BttrDrummerThanU
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BttrDrummerThanU » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:24 am

BD94Euph wrote:You know, I heard "Star of Carolina" severl times this year, but I just don't get it. I mean, they wear cream uniforms like Star in '93...okay. They have a staff guy that marched...ok. The score in their best year was similar, and they didn't in visual...ok. But that's not a whole lot to hang a hat on.

Star was just different man. They were subtle, refined, understated, avant garde, classy, gorgeous. While Crown is more like a bull in a china closet. The Star 93 show was about "less is more" minimalism of Bartok, and Barber. Crown was about "more is more" and fster and louder. I love them both, but it's like loving the Angels and the Dodgers.

Crown is about as understated as Metallica in a church choir. Star was beautifully crafted, Crown was a giant fireball. Not close, no comparison. I like Crown like a high speed chase in a movie. But Star was an Oscar nominee.
I think I'm giving Tom the award for most metaphors ever in a single post.

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:04 am

YESSSSS! I was so afraid all my metaphors and similies were lost on page two of the posts, while everyone had moved on to page 3. Thanks Justin!