2009 Drum Corps Rumors

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

2009 Drum Corps Rumors

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Okay, I've heard a lot of interesting stuff on the web recently (some on DCP), and while the stuff I read on DCP I initially regard with an element of suspicion, some of this stuff I've been able to corroborate elsewhere. I'm still looking for pics for some of these...

RUMOR HAS IT...
...that Carolina Crown's battery will be marching GREEN drum heads this year for their show The Grass is Always Greener. Apparently the basses are all but invisible from the side when viewed from up in the stands.

...that Phantom Regiment will have a set of "rifles" that look like a sawed in half violin (much like their show logo)

...that the Bluecoats are marching 80 horns, including 16 contras.

...that The Cavaliers' 2008 center snare is now on the (already impressive) 2009 Phantom Regiment snare line.

...that NONE of The Cavaliers' 2008 snare line returned to the corps for 2009.

More to follow as I hear it. I'm trying to pry as much info from marching members as I can before they head out on tour.

Che!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: 2009 Drum Corps Rumors

Post by Che! » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Hostrauser wrote: RUMOR HAS IT...
...that Carolina Crown's battery will be marching GREEN drum heads this year for their show The Grass is Always Greener. Apparently the basses are all but invisible from the side when viewed from up in the stands.
If you have the fan network, Crown has a video of them recording a chunk of their show and you can see the green bass heads.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:19 pm

I love how rumors are sooooooooo despised up on DCP, but it ain't nothing but a thing up here! VERY VERY cool. Rumors are as much a part of the drum corps experience as diesel fumes and crappy cool aid.

Good job!!!

MORE RUMORS PLEASE.

Cadetsnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cadetsnare » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:17 pm

Rumor has it that I'm leaving for tour tomorrow. :shock:
2 1/2 weeks of air mattress. Whoopee. :td:

Anyway, Colts have been done with their show for 10 days now...just cleaning. Strongest Colts drum corps in many years, and the show design is KILLER. The "Fathoms" concept works very well. Should score well at the 1st show.
Check out the drumline on the Colts Fan Network...they posted a vid a few days ago doing a run though of their 2nd chart. Tasty, clean beats.
...proudly quashing bad left hands since 1988....
Pearl, Remo and Vic Firth artist, and I make one heck of an omelette.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:MORE RUMORS PLEASE.
...that the Glassmen are attempting something "very different" with their "The Journey of ONE" show. Rumor has it they are taking full advantage of DCI's new rule allowing synthesized sounds.

...that the Crossmen are attempting a significant step up in difficulty with their show design, "Forbidden" (one guess on DCP based on the very dark show poster is that the show will be about vampires or other supernatural creatures). The bad news is that they've had a bunch of injuries. At the start of June they were still looking for a trumpet, contra, and pit player, had several guard spots open and FIVE baritone spots they needed to fill.

...that the Boston Crusaders have a ton vets returning and are already on fire with a very crowd-friendly program (particularly Saint-Saens' "Bacchanale")

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:10 am

...a pit player with an injury....please enlighten me!!! :rotf: A pulled wrist muscle (respect to Wendy who I think is wondering how she's going to kick my ass the next time she sees me...)

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:08 am

I wish I knew. I just know about the list of openings they had.

Not exactly a rumor, but based on what I've seen and heard so far from various camp clips, here's my super-duper ultra-early DCI Finals prediction...

98.400 Blue Devils
97.975 Phantom Regiment
97.750 Carolina Crown
95.800 Holy Name Cadets
94.775 Santa Clara Vanguard
94.625 The Cavaliers
92.750 Bluecoats
90.325 Blue Stars
89.900 Boston Crusaders
88.150 Blue Knights
86.450 Colts
85.700 Glassmen

Regardless of the actual scores, I see there being four distinct tiers...
Tier 1 (1st-3rd): Blue Devils, Phantom, Crown, in any order (yes, I really think Crown could win it all if everything comes together)
Tier 2 (4th-6th): Cadets, Vanguard, Cavaliers, in any order
Tier 3 (7th-10th): Bluecoats, Blue Stars, Boston, Blue Knights, in any order; I have the Coats way ahead, but I can see any of these corps passing them.
Tier 4 (11th-16th): Colts, Glassmen, Spirit, Crossmen, Scouts, Troopers. Two will make finals, four won't. I really think it's between the first three, though: Crossmen and Scouts I think are going to have an off year, and the Troop is not...quite...there yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Troopers pass a couple corps and end up in 13th, 14th or 15th, though.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:17 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:...a pit player with an injury....please enlighten me!!! :rotf: A pulled wrist muscle (respect to Wendy who I think is wondering how she's going to kick my ass the next time she sees me...)

HAH

pit player with an injury... easy!

hauling all the pit equipment everywhere! you know you can strain a muscle or whatever...

I will let this one slide.. so there will be no ass kicking yet... just make sure you come down and say hi after the walnut show!
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:23 pm

Vanguard, Pacific Crest, Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders, and Glassmen all have new uniforms this year.

Glassmen just unveiled theirs:
http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_i ... f38e41da61

And no green drum heads for Crown that I've been able to find, but maybe they'll only use them for shows and not practice.

archbananas
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by archbananas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:21 am

Hostrauser wrote:Vanguard, Pacific Crest, Phantom Regiment, Boston Crusaders, and Glassmen all have new uniforms this year.

Glassmen just unveiled theirs:
http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_i ... f38e41da61

And no green drum heads for Crown that I've been able to find, but maybe they'll only use them for shows and not practice.
I'm kinda disappointed with Vanguard's uniforms x\
The (middle slash?) has become slanted, to me, this seems less intimidating, losing the Vanguard feel.

Glassmen's is pretty decent. I kinda liked last years better.

Boston Crusaders? I didn't know they got new uniforms. Do you have a link? I can't find them. XD

Pacific Crest. I honestly love their uniforms. They look so much better than before. I thought it was a good decision to keep the black pants.

Phantom Regiment. I think the uniforms are okay. I was expecting something more.... different? The interview about the new uniforms made the uniforms seem like they were going to be more impactful along with their program. Does them not having any money have to do with this?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:18 pm

archbananas wrote:Boston Crusaders? I didn't know they got new uniforms. Do you have a link? I can't find them. XD
They basically added dashes of white to their standard red, black, and silver. White plume, white shako brim, white baldric, white gauntlets and gloves, etc.

Boston's 2009 uniforms

archbananas
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by archbananas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
archbananas wrote:Boston Crusaders? I didn't know they got new uniforms. Do you have a link? I can't find them. XD
They basically added dashes of white to their standard red, black, and silver. White plume, white shako brim, white baldric, white gauntlets and gloves, etc.

Boston's 2009 uniforms
Ah, that's very military-ish (IMO) I like it. XD

Ty for the link!