Mystikal April Camp Press Release

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Mystikal

Mystikal April Camp Press Release

Post by Mystikal » Fri May 01, 2009 10:15 am

Mystikal’s April Camp Report

Mystikal recently held an extremely successful April Camp in Rio Grande Valley, Texas. The Brass and Percussion ensembles met together for the first time this season and were very productive. The Brass ensemble was able to complete the opener and ballad music, while the Percussion ensemble (meeting as a full ensemble for the first time) was taught and played through the opener music. The corps also spent a portion of the camp learning 15 drill sets of the opener and the opening body movement sequence. Several California members attended this milestone camp.

The members arrived at the camp to a special treat on Friday: a new set of brass instruments! Already the brass ensemble sounded great, especially considering that out of 40 members just 2 have previous drum corps experience, but with the new brass instruments the corps will sound phenomenal.

Corps Director Chris Magonigal is very pleased with the direction the corps is heading. “I think what we have accomplished in the past 4 months as a group is amazing,” he said. “We had 3 total members in January when we started and we will continue to step it up to take Mystikal to the next level. This season is about the performance and will be our “introduction” to the competitive portion of the activity. I think many people will be surprised come June. The kids from Texas are looking forward to going out to California and having a great summer!”

At the April Camp, the corps leadership was also finalized and announced. Emily Roman will be Lead Conductor and Jenny Ramsey will serve as Field Conductor. Daniel Cantu was appointed as the 2009 Horn Sergeant. Assisting Daniel will be Mellophone Section Leader: Sierra Villareal and Tuba Section Leader: Chris Meyer. Center Snare: Jerry Gamez was appointed as the Percussion Ensemble Section Leader.

Amanda Black (California Native and Mellophone player) was interviewed at the end of the camp and had this to say. “Except for the heat, this camp weekend has been amazing and this is way more advanced than my high school band program.”

After several months of planning, Missy Hill and Nathan Ortiz were very proud of the Color Guard’s April Camp. The Guard was able to learn about 1 minute and 30 seconds of the opener’s choreography and members are so excited that the season is now here and they will be meeting new lifelong friends from Texas and from other corps in the Pacific Region. The Color Guard is still accepting qualified applicants to fill out the ensemble. If there are any interested color guard performers wanting to perform this summer, please email mhill@mystikal-corps.org.

Mystikal has one final camp May 22 – 24 to prepare before moving the Texas based operations to California to join with the California operations and members for the Drum Corps International’s 2009 Summer Music Games Tour. This will be first season for Mystikal to jump into the full-time corps status. This new direction for the corps has proven to be successful.

Please support the corps’ new vision by donating your time, food, money or attend Mystikal Youth Arts Organization’s “Drums Along the Pacific” Sunday July 12, 2009 in the East Los Angeles College Stadium.

For more information visit Mystikal's website at http://www.mystikal-corps.org.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: Mystikal April Camp Press Release

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat May 02, 2009 11:08 am

I'm not baggin' at all...just observing...but this has certainly got to be one of the most unique drum corps "arrangements" I've ever seen...it's a southern California based corps (LONG BEACH??) with a what? A Texas division?? LOL!! I mean...I'm all for creativity in how you get the job done. Really. I've just not really seen it done this way before.

PSeidling
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by PSeidling » Sun May 03, 2009 4:16 pm

I share more for trivia's sake than anything, but the Blue Stars did something like this in 1982.

Blue Stars had made World Finals every year 1972-1979. They and the Vanguard were the only 2 able to say that. However, in 1980 they narrowly missed finals, and the corps also saw a large staff and mgt turn-over, leading them to a pretty challenging 1981, in which they again missed making finals.

By 1982 the era of "will travel to march in the bigs" was firmly entrenched, and Blue Stars saw both their local base dry up (and keep in mind, La Crosse in 1982 was about 50,000 people, and at that the largest city within 150 miles) and the talent from out-of-areas markets choose to head off to corps like Madison, Cavaliers and Phantom.

Through the winter of 1982 they had about 40 Wisconsin-based members showing up, not nearly enough to compete, even in what was then called "Class A" (today's Open Class) where most corps there had 70+. (and keep in mind, this is a corps that hadn't had less than 100 members for over a decade...they just didn't know what to do with such a small turn-out).

A staffer had a connection in Washington state and proposed learning music and drill with kids in Spokane, then bringing them all in for a June camp. So that winter there were kids in Spokane learning one half of the drill, and kids in La Crossse learning the other sets. Between the 25 or so Washington staters and 40 or so Wisconsin kids, they were able to put out a respectable sized corps. They finished nearly dead-last at DCI prelims, but their hard-work was noble and the corps was at least alive.

Alas, the organization just couldn't pull off the "bi-coastal" thing another year and chose to shut down the Blue Stars after that season. They did, however and thankfully, keep their cadet corps - the Blue Stars Cadets - active and competing in the CCI organization (a circuit for midwest-based feeder corps and start-ups) in 1983 and 1984.

In 1985 they dropped the "Cadets" and re-emerged as the Blue Stars, comprised mostly of cadet kids who were now young teenagers, and this time competing in the newly created DCI Class A/A-60 division (later renamed Div II-III and then Open Class). For the next 20 years they rarely fielded more than 60 members but were always standard-setter, winning championships in the Midwest and at DCI, and when not at the top, certainly giving others a run for their money.

They would remain in Div II-III for twenty years - 1985 through 2005. In 2004 they made a concentrated effort to up membership, and by 2005 the efforts were working. For most of their two decades in D II-III they fielded brass lines of 20 or so members. In 2005 they put together a corps well over 100 members, setting them up for a move back into World Class.

In 2006 they were granted World Class status and landed in 14th place (with full-sized corps) in 2006 and again in 2007. And then...well....surely we've all noticed how they walked into finals this past summer in such a big way? Yeah, Blue Stars were in D II-III just 3 short summers ago.

Blue Stars current Exec Director, Brad Furlano, has been a part of the Blue Stars as either a member, drum major, staffer, director and/or Executive Director from 1985 to today. How cool is that for him to see this growth? The unusual efforts of the 1982 corps made sure he had a corps to be in, and in turn he's made sure it thrives today. Several active boosters and support staff were in the 1970's corps' and a few were even in that 1982 corps.

Another fun fact about that 1982 Washington/Wisconsin Blue Star corps: Bob Lendman, who was the director at Phantom Regiment from 1976 thru 1980 (and can be credited for bringing them into the elite of the activity) was hired as the Blue Stars director that summer. Though the Blue Stars were small and struggling, folks noticed how smooth and happy all was running, in spite of the membership challenges. (Bob was one of the best tour managers in the activity).

A very wealthy man named Bill Cook - who's son was then in Colts - was contemplating starting his own corps. He was at a show and saw Bob work with the kids and support staff and came to admire Bob's "style". Mr. Cook soon offered Mr. Lendman a job running one of the Cook Groups primary companies, and also asked him to be a charter member of the Board of Directors that was to create the Star of Indiana. (That was August 1982, Star would come out in 1985).

Bob just retired as one of Mr. Cook's top men, yet remains somewhat involved in the Star of Indiana organization. You can also see him volunteering at DCI events in the summer. (Funny how those former Regiment directors get around, huh? :D )

Now, I admit this isnt EXACTLY like what Mystical is doing, but kind of, and it did spark a fun drum corps memory that I thought some would like to hear about. And hey, who knows what may come of this odd "Texas/SoCal" plan?
Patrick Seidling
Stanbury Uniforms

bigocz
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bigocz » Mon May 04, 2009 12:37 am

A Canadian and Florida Drum Corps did this in the 90's (combined)
but they didn't last long..

From What I've read, Boston Crusaders are mostly from Florida...

So I guess Revolution Lives now under the name Mystikal?
Is this the case? and the new Horns are actually old horns, just new to Mystikal?

Hey, we all have to get creative now to make drum corps happen..unless a corps has a $300-$500,000 money making machine under them.

Ron Z

Mystikal

Post by Mystikal » Mon May 04, 2009 10:00 am

It has proven to be a challenge that, to this point, has been a big success for our group. We have an amazing group of kids this season and the back and forth between the two communities have been terrific. The members and staff from both California and Texas are excited about combining their effforts and, with todays technology, teaching and communication has been no issue at all.

As for the reference to Revolution, we are not, in ANY way, affiliated with Revolution. After being asked to come on board, myself and this musical staff saw a desire for an opportunity in the youth of the Rio Grande Valley, as well as a chance to provide growth to Mystikal outside of the "norm". Our "satellite" camps grew into full line rehearsals in the musical ensemble and naturally shifted focus from California to Texas.

In answer to the horns, we purchased a complete set of horns, New Jupiter High Brass and previously used low brass, but all new to the Corps. This was a big success for us this season as the organization did not previously own brass instruments, and the kids are overjoyed to play unique horns.

Pat, I share your enthusiasm for history and many of the decisions with this project have been lessons learned from my research and communications with groups in the past. The fact that many groups are doing "satellite" camps (especially in the state of Texas) is what started this rebuilding strategy in the first place. My feeling is that if we work hard as a staff and provide a true educational atmosphere, the more opportunity, in the most places, can lead to a world of success. We are truly excited about the future!

Chris Magonigal
Corps Director
Mystikal DBC

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon May 04, 2009 11:46 am

bigocz wrote:A Canadian and Florida Drum Corps did this in the 90's (combined)
but they didn't last long..
I believe this was the merger of the Kiwanis Kavaliers (Kitchener, ON) and Tampa Bay Thunder (Tampa, FL)
bigocz wrote:From What I've read, Boston Crusaders are mostly from Florida...
BAC has a lot of instructors that are heavily involved in the Florida band scene, both as band directors and staffers. I'm pretty sure perennial BOA powerhouses Seminole and Tarpon Springs both share instructors with the Boston Crusaders, and yes, I believe a lot of Florida kids head north to march in Boston in the Summer.