So sad

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

confucious
New Recruit
New Recruit

So sad

Post by confucious » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:15 am

:cry: with yamato gone for this summer, and another so cal corps in the verge of folding, what is one to think about the drum corps activity in So Cal?

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Re: So sad

Post by KingMattIV » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Who's on the verge of folding? :(
Mt. Carmel High School Marching Sundevils- 2004-2008
UC Los Angeles "The Solid Gold Sound"- 2008-2010
Alternative Percussion 2008-2010
Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps 2009-2010
2009 DCI Trombone I and E Champion

teubner8va
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by teubner8va » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Are they open or world class? :?:
2003-2007 El Dorado High School-Trumpet
2003-2007 Arcadia Brass and Trumpet Ensembles
2007-2010 VK Lead/Solo Soprano
2008-2010 VK Soprano Section Leader
2010 VK Horn Sergeant
2010 VK Age Out

confucious
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by confucious » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:40 pm

open class some kids in the district i work with say it is more than likely going to happen soon to their corps. maybe other corps can help these kids out i'm not too familiar with other corps in the area

MaestroOfBandX
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaestroOfBandX » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am

It is unfortunate to hear about any corps folding or going inactive. Whichever corps this is, I hope they can work through their situaion and avoid folding.

If the worst happens and they fold, I hope they make the decision soon so the members that are there could possibly find another corps to go to. I see other open class corps in the area still looking for members. But if they wait too long, other corps may cut off accepting new members and they could get left out in the cold.

As for the state of the activity in SoCal, I think there is so much to compete with here that the kids find other activities to take up their "free time". I know that some of my students that were interested in marching corps ended up not doing it this year due to money. I could be wrong here, but I think that SoCal schools have some of the highest band fees around. Possibly parents are looking at what they already pay for marching band in the fall and laying out even more cash to march corps in the summer is either not possible or they simply don't want to.

Then there are the students that either want to, or out of necessity, get summer jobs. In some cases, just having the time to do corps is not possible.

I suppose that all of the above really describes why drum & bugle corps have always been the elitist marching groups. Only those with the hardest drive and determination to march at whatever cost, will march. This, I think, makes drum corps the outstanding showcase that it has been over the years.

Perhaps we do have more corps than our area can support with people interested in marching?
---Bob---
"Some people are like Slinky's.......Not really good for anything, But they bring a smile to your face when you push them down some stairs!!!"

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:17 am

confucious wrote::cry: with yamato gone for this summer, and another so cal corps in the verge of folding, what is one to think about the drum corps activity in So Cal?
Are you going to answer the question? What other corps is close to folding? News to me...

confucious
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by confucious » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 am

Ryan H. Turner wrote:
confucious wrote::cry: with yamato gone for this summer, and another so cal corps in the verge of folding, what is one to think about the drum corps activity in So Cal?
Are you going to answer the question? What other corps is close to folding? News to me...
Not trying to start rumors and remember all i have heard is from my kids in the school i work with. I was merely asking what is one to think about the drum corps activity in the area.
Now instead of folding, going inactive how about a merge? is that possible in this activity

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 am

confucious wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:
Not trying to start rumors
B.S. Put up or shut up. Starting with "I heard" means it's automatically a rumor (true or not). But until I hear a corps name, I'm not going to believe it for a second.

You might want to tread lightly, though. There are several SoCal corps directors and caption heads who frequent this forum, and I'm sure they'll be quick to address any unfounded rumors.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Me too.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:48 am

so which corps is it?

can't be VK, can't be Impulse... definitely cannot be Pacific Crest...
just checked up on Gold, and Mystical's website.. they're still on...

am I missing any active so cal junior corps?

sooooooo besides Yamato... who's not fielding?
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

grouchy

Post by grouchy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:51 am

confucious is trying to stir the pot. check the post history. in the 5 posts since they've joined, they have been sorta negative on an Impulse post, inquired about vk, started the fold rumor in which they state they don't know much about other corps in the area. interesting... a pageantry board, a drum corps forum, a person that "works with" local schools... doesn't know about other corps in the area? :lol:

june is coming soon. make your thing happen and show us. until then, don't be boring...

confucious
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by confucious » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:09 pm

was not negative on impulse as opposed to what they write
Just try it! You'll like it. We have an awesome staff that's really chill and not afraid to teach you as long as you're willing to learn.. as opposed to SOME other corps that just boot and you if you don't know their technique, etc
but there you go, now you know

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Sun May 03, 2009 5:18 pm

OK, a couple kids from my school who were going tmarch with Impulse report major problems over there. i hope it doesn't mean they will not field a corps, but there are definitely problems.

If that hurts the corps, I'm sorry. But I thought I would clear the air. i have no beef with them, just reporting.

thom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thom » Sun May 03, 2009 5:28 pm

As mentioned before in this thread many staff members read this forum, oh yeah and Ryan too.

This is the official news from VK.
WE ARE FIELDING!!!
Thom Willett

Brass Caption Head - SoCal Dream Drum and Bugle Corps

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sun May 03, 2009 5:29 pm

thom wrote:As mentioned before in this thread many staff members read this forum, oh yeah and Ryan too.

This is the official news from VK.
WE ARE FIELDING!!!

WHOOT!
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013