Impulse still accepting brass players!!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Impulse still accepting brass players!!

Post by Euphman » Sun May 24, 2009 9:31 pm

DrummerDad wrote:FACT! Impulse won DCI Div III

I guess some poster insinuated that it isn't worth much, because "they" said kingsmen or vk could win it if they were to drop into Div III.

That's is a stupid statement. They were not. And which years of VK or Kingsmen would have been the size necessary to compete in Div III in 2006........

Sure it's is a Sales Pitch. It is very competitive in So Cal now.

It is easy to see every post offering news about a rehearsal or an event for their drum corps is a sales pitch.

Why does the North Hollywood guy want to make fun of it? Because he desires to make it an ineffective point of consideration for kids who want to consider Impulse?

Is everyone who is posting a negative tone and openly questioning "Impulse positive posts" doing it with the intent of creating doubt about the legitimate VALUE or decision making of the Impulse organization?

And WHY?? Why don't you all go give a hard time to VK or GOLD or INCOGNITO or MYSTIKAL??????

Or have you?

Sounds like there are dark forces attempting to douse a very bright light in this region called IMPULSE.

Members SHOULD consider IMPULSE as it has successfully competed now for 10 seasons and 11 years of operation.

People should consider IMPULSE for their staff, and the quality education they will receive from their Experience.

Posters should continue to make fun of every post going up to Promote this fantastic, steady eddie, and consistent corps. So Far it has been great advertising for Impulse as their membership increased substantially over this weekend since these posts have hit the internet.

My Kid marched Impulse a few years before aging out of a Div I finalist corps and it was an incredibly positive experience for him and us (his parents) Our experiences with div I corps were not that different from Impulse. In some cases the kids at Impulse have it better!

What a wonderful organization. They genuinely care about how the kids are treated, educated and present themselves as members of Impulse.

Making fun of the posts and attempting to "call them out" is really an amateurish attempt at negative counter advertising.

I've met kids and parents in other corps, they are all great, but if we had to do it all over again and choose a corps to start with and stick with for a few years....I would Pick Impulse in a heart beat.

I would follow our IMPULSE...thank you.

And as for whether or not Impulse is touring Nationally is IRRELEVANT.

The VALUE is BEING in this great corps and organization, NOT going to DCI Finals. It wouldn't have made a difference for us.

And for those of you who think it is a waste of time to not go to DCI finals or a National tour, Are you also saying that to ALL the corps not going on a national tour? Do you know who THEY are? or are you just trying to create doubt to STEAL Impulse MEMBERS????

That isn't being "informative" or presenting something to consider, it's being an ASS and trying to turn members away and that is BAD!!

As for Mr Turner. Stop ticking him off. He has been an objective supporter of All the drum corps in the region.

You yahoo's out there need to do something more positive with your time aside from getting your jollies trying to tear down Impulse Posts and posters.

And attack on Impulse IS a personal attack to every GREAT person involved there.

The FACT that Impulse is an ALL Volunteer organization and has been for 11 years is a tremendous testimony to the love and quality of person who chooses to work and participate there. I've experienced it first hand, they are wonderful people!!! and it is a Wonderful program and deserves to "ADVERTISE"" that they are a DCI Champion! Div III or not, there still only had to be 3 chamions in 2006 and IMPULSE was one of them (I think its champion envy at work here)
It's because of posts like this that people poke fun at certain corps sometimes. Lighten up. There are no dark forces trying to bring you--or any other corps--down. Jokes are made, sometimes about you, sometimes not. People with high self-esteem do not take other people's negative impressions of them too seriously. A sense of humor is important :!: :!: :!: :!:

Good night.

DrummerDad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DrummerDad » Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 pm

It's because of posts like this that people poke fun at certain corps sometimes. Lighten up. There are no dark forces trying to bring you--or any other corps--down. Jokes are made, sometimes about you, sometimes not. People with high self-esteem do not take other people's negative impressions of them too seriously. A sense of humor is important :!: :!: :!: :!:
=================================

People with High self esteem do not poke fun at youth groups and their fans. They are secure enough (and usually mature enough) to know when someone needs support, not ridicule.

You take yourself too lightly. There are times when you may be the only one who thinks you are funny.

===========================
If you are a brass player reading this and is looking to march this summer at the last minute....

March Impulse, it will be one of the best things you do for yourself!

AND it's good for your self esteem.

DD

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Euphman » Mon May 25, 2009 1:42 am

People with High self esteem do not poke fun at youth groups and their fans
It happens all the time. Fans do it. Marching Members do it. Even design staffs do it. I bet Vanguard wasn't crying when VK was parodying their bottle dance in the 90's? Or when Impulse was poking fun at Phantom Regiment in 02? Drum Corps helps develop self-esteem. This is why people who march can take a joke. Or even some negative criticism.

And by the way, this is an activity filled with haters. But even the staunchest of them support the activity. They do so by making donations, attending shows, buying souvies, and encouraging others to participate. These actions make them stakeholders, and in return, I believe, they have the right to be critical if they feel they need to be.

Ahoy!

BDinkel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BDinkel » Tue May 26, 2009 9:33 pm

Euphman wrote: And by the way, this is an activity filled with haters. But even the staunchest of them support the activity. They do so by making donations, attending shows, buying souvies, and encouraging others to participate. These actions make them stakeholders, and in return, I believe, they have the right to be critical if they feel they need to be.
This is the typical elitist attitude you would see on the DCP forums, it is maybe applicable when talking about World class corps who actually receive income from show ticket sales or whose merchandise you might buy, but I think this is a pretty weak argument to hide behind.

Who are "they"? Are you referring to yourself as one of the aforementioned "haters" in some sort of bizarre 3rd person?

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Euphman » Tue May 26, 2009 11:13 pm

This is the typical elitist attitude you would see on the DCP forums, it is maybe applicable when talking about World class corps who actually receive income from show ticket sales or whose merchandise you might buy, but I think this is a pretty weak argument to hide behind.
It's not elitist to feel entitled to an opinion, negative or otherwise. By definition, a forum is a public meeting place for open discussion. Curious081 made a really ignorant comment about drum corps being a waste of time and another poster jumped all over him with a personal attack. How about addressing the issue instead?

And it's wrong to presume that only World Class merchandise is desirable. I see plenty of people at the Impulse & VK souvie booths. Over the years I've dragged my friends to the small local shows and we've each donated $20-something to see just a handful of corps with (usually) incomplete shows. I'm sure there are lots of others on this forum who do the same, and who like me, make it a point to stop by souvie booths and spend money on products to support the locals. Yet around here that doesn't earn you the right to a dissenting opinion without some yahoo snowballing you with personal attacks :D

RBVT--BONE
New Recruit
New Recruit
Location: Vista-RBVs band room (probly on the piano), or work, or schrewel

Post by RBVT--BONE » Wed May 27, 2009 8:57 pm

:o Hm.. I never thought an advertisement for impulse would draw so much heat.. oh well.

Actions speak louder than words.

Drummerdad I appreciate your stalwart defense of Impulse.

Whether the defense was needed or not and whether Euphman meant anything durogetory is thorny, and I guess it's better to be safe than sorry Drummerdad, but to both of you: long drawn out fights like this, (note: I consider a discussion a 'fight' when there is an accusation of ill intent by someone else in a hostile tone and/or there is/leads up to some kind of hostile response) especially on a appeal-thread favoring a particular drum corps has the possibility of putting people off in my opinion. I just don't think it belongs here.

We are still accepting brass players. Your last chance to join will be at Santa Ana High School on May 31st. Checkin is at 8:30am and rehearsal begins at 9am and lasts until 6pm.

Check it out. You know you want to!!

Obi-Wan Kanobi says, "This IS the corps you are looking for..."
05-06: RAIN-Guinestera
Estancia
Nimrod from Enigma Variations: IV
Pampeana

06-07: Appalachian Springs (Aaron Copland)
opnr---^^
Appalachian Echoes
Finale

07-08: INSPIRE!! (Metheny)
Minuano 6/8
Under the Sun
Rainforest

Euphman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Euphman » Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Best wishes to Impulse and all the local corps this season. We'll all be cheering for you :!: :!:

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun May 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Euphman wrote:Best wishes to Impulse and all the local corps this season. We'll all be cheering for you :!: :!:
:cool2:

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:50 pm

I'll go on record and say that performing is good. :D

If kids at Impulse learn and have some fun, and compete...COOL. Mystikal, Veek, whomever...remember folks IT'S ALL GOOD. I never marched any corps until my age-out year and I really missed the experience. If I had known how much work and how much fuin drum corps was, I would have done it sooner. And I can say that kids marching next to me my age-out year who had marched a small corps before were MUCH better prepared for drum corps life than i was!!!

So whether your aspiration is to march a "bigger, better" corps later, or simply to have an interesting education/musical experience this summer...do it. Will change your life!

And just like the rest of major league baseball makes fun of both the Yankees and the Pirates, there is room for everyone to be made fun of, dissed and trashed. But it's only ok to talk smack if you march! No lame wannabees should be allowed to talk smack. Even in my age-out year, my corps had ALL KINDS OF ATTITUDE, but it was only cool to hate the Vanguard and the Cadets...and I think those are totally acceptable to rag on! 8-)

Go March people!

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 am

Right on!!!!!
Yo