Veteran

No KCET telecast?!?!

Post by BariSx_G » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:15 pm

Why?!!?!?!?!?!?!??!?! *sobs* :cry:

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:13 am

I've never recalled KCET doing a DCI telecast. IT's either been KVCR or KDOC. Check those two.
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

KCET.... Answers...

Post by Mr Pageantry » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:06 am

:wav: I just posted a bunch of DCI Telecasts in western states on the Marching Band Forum.... In speaking with KCET (Channel 28 in Los Angeles).. I was told that they are considering showing the telecast again this year (Yes... It has been shown in the past a number of times).... They do have the master tape and are holding it for a play date that would not conflict with its fundraising telethons and other major events... I am sorry to say.. they had a bad experience with drum corps people and band folks in past years.. they did show the live broadcasts in the past... I even appeared with Bob Jacobs.. and Richard Oliverio at various times to explain what people were watching.... However when the live broadcasts started to conflict with their telethons to raise money to keep the station on the air, and when they started getting a lot of negative comments, a fall off of contributions and THREATS.. they took a step back and asked some very good questions.... One question they asked was how many Southern California groups were participants in DCI... and how many units were functioning in the region.. we told the truth.. we also pointed out that Drum Corps International was a trendsetter and that hundreds of marching band directors, and thousands of band members and boosters were very interested in the broadcast... they were cordial.. but emphatic in telling us that it was not attracting new or affluent prospective donors... they however did show it for years... In fact I believe it was shown in 2001 on Christmas Day... or perhaps it was on Christmas night....
If you are a MEMBER of KCET in Los Angeles.. you might want to send a NICE note to the programming director expressing your interest in seeing the DCI broadcast... In addition we are trying to find out when the Los Angeles Educational Station will show the broadcast , which it has done a number of years.... I will post any new air times and information on my original article which appears on the Marching Band Forum.... Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

BariSx_G
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BariSx_G » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:58 pm

Thank you very much for the information. What if they tried gathering donations from viewers while watching the DCI telecast?

bari_benzo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bari_benzo » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:05 pm

They do. But I guess one problem is that people watching the telecast in the past would call in, say that they'll send a check so the viewer will get a free copy of a finals video or CD, then not send the check. :(

So if you're going to call in.... stand by your word and send in the check!
Eddie E.
rccband.org Web Administrator
Ramona (Riverside) High School c/o 1999
Suita City Wind Ensemble - Clarinet

Mad City
Rookie
Rookie

KOCE DCI Telecast

Post by Mad City » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:39 am

2003 Drum Corps International World Championship
Saturday, September 6, 9:30pm/pst
Coverage of the competition from Orlando, Fla., featuring performances by finalists chosen from approximately 80 U.S. and Canadian drum and bugle corps
In Stereo

www.koce.org
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done"