Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Gallagher
Support Staff
Support Staff

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Post by Gallagher » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:47 pm

Phantom Regiment teams with Jupiter
for brass instruments

ROCKFORD, Ill. (Dec. 15, 2008) - Phantom Regiment is pleased to announce a new partnership with Jupiter Band Instruments. Under this new agreement, Phantom Regiment will exclusively play Jupiter brass instruments in all field and stage performances.

"The Quantum Marching Brass has proven to me that artistry and nuance can go hand-in-hand with stability and durability. From stunning pianissimos to fiery fortissimos, Jupiter has engineered the next generation of marching brass instruments that meet the rigorous performance standards of the Phantom Regiment brass," said J.D. Shaw, Phantom Regiment's brass arranger and brass caption head.

Phantom Regiment, which earned its second Drum Corps International championship this past summer, has finished among the top three in brass for four consecutive seasons.

"Partnering with the DCI World Champion after having released these instruments only one year ago validates Jupiter's commitment to the development of quality instruments. With the fierce competition in the market today, we are honored that Phantom Regiment has chosen Quantum," Jupiter Band Instruments president Tabor Stamper said. "The Phantom Regiment staff is absolutely dedicated to the music education and individual growth of each member. In addition, the powerful, yet incredibly musical sound of their ensemble perfectly parallels the goals we had in developing the Quantum series of Jupiter Marching Brass."

Rick Valenzuela, Phantom Regiment's executive director, notes that there are many familiar faces at Jupiter: "We have worked with the management and design team of Jupiter before and are looking forward to a very exciting relationship between Phantom Regiment and Jupiter."
Brian P. Gallagher
Ramona High School Dynasty Band and Color Guard Director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:23 pm

Most of these instruments are being modified at Sawday and Holmes Music in Long Beach right now. I saw them last Saturday and had a long chat with Don Sawday about them. He and Patrick Sherdan had something to do with the design changes in this line of horns. Don was adding custom tuning triggers to the mellophones and the tubas when I was there. The marching tuba looks really nice and he said Sheridan and the tuba section at Phantom Regiment did a play test with the Jupiter, King and Kanstul horns and they claim that the Jupiter played the best by far. I'm not one to argue with Pat Sheridan when it come to tubas!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:25 pm

:shock: :shock: :drop: :drop:

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Gag...

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:09 pm

Jupiter Quantum Marching Brass

http://www.jupitermusic.com/jbi_instrum ... =2|7&sId=1

The New Quantum Brass Line-up

BBb Marching Tuba

Marching Euphonium

Marching Baritone

Marching Mellophone

Marching Trumpet
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:07 pm

its gonna be okay...

Phantom will be fine...

it's gonna be okay...

You can hand someone the best horn in the world but that does not mean they'll produce the best sound out if it... right?

so with that... just sit back ... wait... and see...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:21 pm

I'm not one to argue with Pat Sheridan when it come to tubas!
Yeah... me either. He teaches at my school, and I must say that that man is a BEAST!

Plus, I think it would be hard to convince Phantom to go into competition with substandard equipment...
Mt. Carmel High School Marching Sundevils- 2004-2008
UC Los Angeles "The Solid Gold Sound"- 2008-2010
Alternative Percussion 2008-2010
Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps 2009-2010
2009 DCI Trombone I and E Champion

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:21 pm

Knowing JD Shaw, I don't think he'd let crap out on the field either. I'm VERY curious as to see how they do with this. I wonder with Sheridan's "endorsement" if we won't be seeing Academy switching too.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:32 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Knowing JD Shaw, I don't think he'd let crap out on the field either. I'm VERY curious as to see how they do with this. I wonder with Sheridan's "endorsement" if we won't be seeing Academy switching too.

Academy is already on Jupiter horns.... I thought...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:55 pm

times are a changing! twenty years from now, we may see everyone using jupiter and people being shocked at a group using king.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:47 am

malletphreak wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:Knowing JD Shaw, I don't think he'd let crap out on the field either. I'm VERY curious as to see how they do with this. I wonder with Sheridan's "endorsement" if we won't be seeing Academy switching too.
Academy is already on Jupiter horns.... I thought...
Yes, Academy marched the Jupiter horns last year. Jersey Surf and Teal Sound also play on Jupiter horns along with the 2009 U.S. Army All-American Marching Band.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:58 am

Well there you go...me thinking out loud again. I used to be so "up" on all of this minutia.

trumpetdiva
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by trumpetdiva » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:24 pm

One of our music teachers made the mistake of buying a fiberglass Jupiter Sousa about 10 years ago...what a disaster. I would never have ordered it myself.

Now LAUSD isn't repairing Selmer woodwinds anymore and is only repairing Yamaha and Jupiter woodwinds. All of my woodwind instruments are Selmer and I already had a alto sax sent back from the repair shop, unrepaired, because they don't carry the parts.

So in order to be able to have my instruments repaired by LAUSD, I started ordering Jupiter woodwinds. I recently bought 2 Jupiter tenors and 1 Bari sax. The tenors have held up during the last 5 months though the laquer scratches easily. But less than 2 weeks after receiving the Bari sax, my student, while trying to tune the bari, bent the neck almost in half. I was in front of him watching and the neck bent like it was made of clay...Scared the crap out of both of us :shock:

This is something that had never happened with any of the Selmer's we've used for years. Mind you, this is an instrument that costs several thousand dollars.

So when people say Jupiter is much better now, I would still be extremely hesitant to order anything Jupiter.

Lesson learned

phatbob2007
Rookie
Rookie

Post by phatbob2007 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:04 am

i think we are all to quick to judge the Jupiter co. on this. how many people in here have actually played a horn from their quantum brass series? I got the chance to play one of the marching mellos and i was actually quite impressed with the tone quality and stability of the sound. I don't think that Jupiter is the company that they used to be, and just because their older models were not top of the line doesn't mean these are not. I HIGHLY doubt that the staff and directors of Phantom would go with jupiter if they weren't convinced that these horns were better than the horns they are currently playing on, so have a little faith I'm sure that phantom will produce the same glorious brass sound that we have all come to expect from them.
Benicia High Panther Band c/o 07 ToR Parade 2005
07-Current SJDC section leader / principal horn
07-08 Lincoln High (Stockton) Staff
08-Current Inderkum Music Staff
08-Current Tokay DL Co-Caption Head/ Marching Instructor

bandguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bandguy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:35 am

Economics...If Jupiter wants to advance itself it helps to have a top corps playing it's products...in exchange they'll probably give, yes give, not sell, all the horns that Phantom wants...similar to BD playing Dynasty, or swithing to ProMark, or wearing FJM uniforms, etc...If it doesn't work out, you can always go back to "purchasing" any brand you want...right!

I heard a tale of pro trombone/euph player Loren Marsteller forgetting his mouthpiece, so he fashioned one out of a toilet paper roll and duct tape, then played his gig...A corps of Phantom's caliber could make a garbage can sound great!
Pep Manning