Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

PSeidling
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYYYY?

Post by PSeidling » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Regards to me indeed. :?

Alas, seems a new broom does sweep clean...note that in the past 10 months PR has changed brass, percussion and uniform vendors.

That said, in 2010 Stanbury to thrilled to add to our team:

Pacific Crest
Beatrix (Holland)
Hawthorne Gold

to our roster that already includes:

Vanguard
Vanguard Cadets
Bluecoats
Blue Stars
Madison Scouts
Troopers
The Academy
Teal Sound
Oregon Crusaders
Blue Saints
Reading Buccaneers Sr
Patrick Seidling
Stanbury Uniforms

BttrDrummerThanU
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BttrDrummerThanU » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:34 pm

I have to agree with someone who posted earlier. If you have not played these horns or have not played/demo'd a Jupiter product in the past two years, you should be careful to pass judgement.

I got a chance to play the Quantum brass on a couple occasions. And I have to say I was shocked that they were decent horns. I would definitely pick them over Dynasty. The baritone has good tone and response and opened up nicely and still retained a good tone. Hell, I even thought it played better than the Kanstul Marching Baritones I have at my school right now.

I, too, was skeptical. But I remember about 13 years ago I was working for a music store and I blind tested some Jupiter trumpets. The Jupiter sales rep came in and was so confident about his product he wanted me to blind test some horns. I went into a practice room, with about 6 horns. Amongst them were many "name band" student and intermediate horns and a Jupiter pro horn. Needless to say, the jupiter pro horn was last on my list, below a Conn student model.

Now...times have changed. Sorry to say, but although I feel Yamaha has maintained consistent quality (and even improved quality), other companies have not.

When I buy intermediate/Pro horns for my school...they are all Conn/King or Yamaha. But if I were to recommend a student model horn. Yamaha would be first on my list and Jupiter second. (And as I side note, I stay the heck away from Bach brass....any and all of it...definitely not impressed).

So back to Quantum. I spoke to a Jupiter Rep and the NAMM show regarding the Quantum stuff and he shared with me that PR and Academy are playing Jupiter horns out of the box. No mods. (To which I replied "bull----"). But they road tested the horns with Academy for a year and did several changes during that year, and those are now reflected in the Quantum brass line.

So...there ya go...my opinions :)

thom23

Post by thom23 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Still like yamaha better

But these horns are a step in the right direction

Definitely would choose these over dyNasty