World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:42 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:08 am
Posts: 3682
Location: Nor Cal
The Kingsmen Senior Drum and Bugle Corps

2009 Field Show: "SHARKS/JETS 2009"
Featuring music from West Side Story
(Jet Song, America, Maria, Mambo and Somewhere. AKA: JAMMS!)

more info - http://xkingsmen.com

_________________
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:08 am
Posts: 3682
Location: Nor Cal
Hostrauser wrote:
No way. I refuse to believe for one second that the Cavaliers will actually be doing some Don Ellis charts. The 93 Blue Devils hornline just laughed until they coughed up their spleens. This, I'm sure, will turn out to be another cheesy original music program. Gotta be.

Right? :shock:



oh quite the opposite..

http://www.cavaliers.org/seasons/current/program.html

_________________
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:41 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7944
Location: West Allis, WI
Well, better than what I was expecting, at least. Still, that Ginastera piece has been done about 600 times in DCI this century, I'm getting a little tired of it.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:59 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:44 am
Posts: 404
Location: San Diego, CA
Heard from insider (member) source that BD's reportoire will be based on 1930's jazz music.

_________________
Image

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:05 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:08 am
Posts: 3682
Location: Nor Cal
crfrey71 wrote:
Heard from insider (member) source that BD's reportoire will be based on 1930's jazz music.




Jazz?!!??! really???

_________________
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:21 am
Posts: 533
Location: Elk Grove, CA
malletphreak wrote:
crfrey71 wrote:
Heard from insider (member) source that BD's reportoire will be based on 1930's jazz music.




Jazz?!!??! really???


I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!! HAHAHA :rotf:


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:49 pm 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:08 am
Posts: 3682
Location: Nor Cal
bigmikedrivesbmw wrote:
malletphreak wrote:
crfrey71 wrote:
Heard from insider (member) source that BD's reportoire will be based on 1930's jazz music.




Jazz?!!??! really???


I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!! HAHAHA :rotf:


I will believe when I see announcement...

_________________
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:44 am
Posts: 404
Location: San Diego, CA
What? :P BD has played jazz not too long ago, even from the 1930's era (see Summertime in their 2004 Summertrain Blues Mix)

_________________
Image

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:59 am 
Offline
Support Staff
Support Staff
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Posts: 7944
Location: West Allis, WI
That's the point. BD doing jazz is like saying, "well, the sun rose again today."

Not that I have a problem with that. I like BD being "the jazz corps" and Phantom being "the classical corps" and The Cadets generally being "the Americana corps."


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:27 pm 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:44 am
Posts: 404
Location: San Diego, CA
I want to see Rockabilly performed by a drum corps one of these days. I cannot believe a corps has not tried this genre. The cadets have sort of tried it, but in my opinion, that isn't true rockabilly. Stuff along the lines of what Brian Setzer does.

_________________
Image

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:23 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:13 pm
Posts: 2098
Location: Kahlifoania
Relámpago

_________________
-Stop global whining.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:22 pm 
Offline
Drum Major
Drum Major
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:13 pm
Posts: 2098
Location: Kahlifoania
Back in November, Hos said this...

Hostrauser wrote:
So far, I have...

BLUECOATS - "Imagine"
Hmmm...



Their repertoire is now posted.

_________________
-Stop global whining.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2
Directly from the Blue Devils Website ...

On the heels of the market crash of 1929 and standing at the gateway of the Great depression - 1930 was a year of complexity and contradiction. The contrast of an economic storm-front and the beauty of American optimism present a collage of the cultural unknown.

With an undeniable foot in the present, the 2009 Blue Devils take a look back at a year when faith and uncertainty were suddenly in a dance of the indefinite. To stand in the face of a tempest or take a seat in the dream of diversion, the artist and innovators of 1930 generated a broad emotional landscape. From the buoyancy of Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm" to the multifarious "Piano Variations" of Aaron Copland, the Blue Devils offer a modern exploration of one single year. A year that would herald its number one popular song "Happy Days Are Here Again" and produced the future Judy Garland classic "Get Happy".

With the 2009 program "1930", the present and the past convene in a theatrical conversation of passion and exhilaration. Through unique visual and musical composition, the Blue Devils continue to showcase the world's most accomplished young performers as they travel the US offering a distinctive approach to contemporary drum and bugle corps.

Albert Einstein said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science". The year he made this profound statement? 1930.
Attachment:
09BDShow_web_600a.jpg
09BDShow_web_600a.jpg [ 74 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:44 am
Posts: 404
Location: San Diego, CA
HereIam wrote:
Directly from the Blue Devils Website ...

On the heels of the market crash of 1929 and standing at the gateway of the Great depression - 1930 was a year of complexity and contradiction. The contrast of an economic storm-front and the beauty of American optimism present a collage of the cultural unknown.

With an undeniable foot in the present, the 2009 Blue Devils take a look back at a year when faith and uncertainty were suddenly in a dance of the indefinite. To stand in the face of a tempest or take a seat in the dream of diversion, the artist and innovators of 1930 generated a broad emotional landscape. From the buoyancy of Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm" to the multifarious "Piano Variations" of Aaron Copland, the Blue Devils offer a modern exploration of one single year. A year that would herald its number one popular song "Happy Days Are Here Again" and produced the future Judy Garland classic "Get Happy".

With the 2009 program "1930", the present and the past convene in a theatrical conversation of passion and exhilaration. Through unique visual and musical composition, the Blue Devils continue to showcase the world's most accomplished young performers as they travel the US offering a distinctive approach to contemporary drum and bugle corps.

Albert Einstein said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science". The year he made this profound statement? 1930.
Attachment:
09BDShow_web_600a.jpg


Looks like my source was correct. :)

I am thinking it is gonna have sort of the same sound that we got from some of the 2002 program, "Jazz, Music made in America"

_________________
Image

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:32 am 
Offline
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:22 pm
Posts: 329
HereIam wrote:
Directly from the Blue Devils Website ...

On the heels of the market crash of 1929 and standing at the gateway of the Great depression - 1930 was a year of complexity and contradiction. The contrast of an economic storm-front and the beauty of American optimism present a collage of the cultural unknown.

With an undeniable foot in the present, the 2009 Blue Devils take a look back at a year when faith and uncertainty were suddenly in a dance of the indefinite. To stand in the face of a tempest or take a seat in the dream of diversion, the artist and innovators of 1930 generated a broad emotional landscape. From the buoyancy of Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm" to the multifarious "Piano Variations" of Aaron Copland, the Blue Devils offer a modern exploration of one single year. A year that would herald its number one popular song "Happy Days Are Here Again" and produced the future Judy Garland classic "Get Happy".

With the 2009 program "1930", the present and the past convene in a theatrical conversation of passion and exhilaration. Through unique visual and musical composition, the Blue Devils continue to showcase the world's most accomplished young performers as they travel the US offering a distinctive approach to contemporary drum and bugle corps.

Albert Einstein said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science". The year he made this profound statement? 1930.
Attachment:
09BDShow_web_600a.jpg



And once again, all is right in the world.

_________________
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
  http://www.worldofpageantry.com Copyright © 1996 - 2006 Email:  admin@worldofpageantry.com  

Site design and maintenance by Dave Schaafsma at Dave's Web Dynamics