malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: 2009 Drum Corps Repertoires

Post by malletphreak » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:42 am

The Kingsmen Senior Drum and Bugle Corps

2009 Field Show: "SHARKS/JETS 2009"
Featuring music from West Side Story
(Jet Song, America, Maria, Mambo and Somewhere. AKA: JAMMS!)

more info - http://xkingsmen.com
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 pm

Hostrauser wrote:No way. I refuse to believe for one second that the Cavaliers will actually be doing some Don Ellis charts. The 93 Blue Devils hornline just laughed until they coughed up their spleens. This, I'm sure, will turn out to be another cheesy original music program. Gotta be.

Right? :shock:

oh quite the opposite..

http://www.cavaliers.org/seasons/current/program.html
Wendy

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:41 am

Well, better than what I was expecting, at least. Still, that Ginastera piece has been done about 600 times in DCI this century, I'm getting a little tired of it.

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Heard from insider (member) source that BD's reportoire will be based on 1930's jazz music.

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:05 pm

crfrey71 wrote:Heard from insider (member) source that BD's reportoire will be based on 1930's jazz music.

Jazz?!!??! really???
Wendy

bigmikedrivesbmw
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bigmikedrivesbmw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:16 pm

malletphreak wrote:
crfrey71 wrote:Heard from insider (member) source that BD's reportoire will be based on 1930's jazz music.

Jazz?!!??! really???
I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!! HAHAHA :rotf:

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:49 pm

bigmikedrivesbmw wrote:
malletphreak wrote:

Jazz?!!??! really???
I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!! HAHAHA :rotf:
I will believe when I see announcement...
Wendy

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:54 am

What? :P BD has played jazz not too long ago, even from the 1930's era (see Summertime in their 2004 Summertrain Blues Mix)

wgascphotos@cox.net

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:59 am

That's the point. BD doing jazz is like saying, "well, the sun rose again today."

Not that I have a problem with that. I like BD being "the jazz corps" and Phantom being "the classical corps" and The Cadets generally being "the Americana corps."

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:27 pm

I want to see Rockabilly performed by a drum corps one of these days. I cannot believe a corps has not tried this genre. The cadets have sort of tried it, but in my opinion, that isn't true rockabilly. Stuff along the lines of what Brian Setzer does.

wgascphotos@cox.net

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:23 pm

-Stop global whining.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Back in November, Hos said this...
Hostrauser wrote:So far, I have...

BLUECOATS - "Imagine"
Hmmm...
Their repertoire is now posted.
-Stop global whining.

HereIam

Post by HereIam » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:53 am

Directly from the Blue Devils Website ...

On the heels of the market crash of 1929 and standing at the gateway of the Great depression - 1930 was a year of complexity and contradiction. The contrast of an economic storm-front and the beauty of American optimism present a collage of the cultural unknown.

With an undeniable foot in the present, the 2009 Blue Devils take a look back at a year when faith and uncertainty were suddenly in a dance of the indefinite. To stand in the face of a tempest or take a seat in the dream of diversion, the artist and innovators of 1930 generated a broad emotional landscape. From the buoyancy of Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm" to the multifarious "Piano Variations" of Aaron Copland, the Blue Devils offer a modern exploration of one single year. A year that would herald its number one popular song "Happy Days Are Here Again" and produced the future Judy Garland classic "Get Happy".

With the 2009 program "1930", the present and the past convene in a theatrical conversation of passion and exhilaration. Through unique visual and musical composition, the Blue Devils continue to showcase the world's most accomplished young performers as they travel the US offering a distinctive approach to contemporary drum and bugle corps.

Albert Einstein said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science". The year he made this profound statement? 1930.
09BDShow_web_600a.jpg
09BDShow_web_600a.jpg (74 KiB) Viewed 5062 times

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:12 am

HereIam wrote:Directly from the Blue Devils Website ...

On the heels of the market crash of 1929 and standing at the gateway of the Great depression - 1930 was a year of complexity and contradiction. The contrast of an economic storm-front and the beauty of American optimism present a collage of the cultural unknown.

With an undeniable foot in the present, the 2009 Blue Devils take a look back at a year when faith and uncertainty were suddenly in a dance of the indefinite. To stand in the face of a tempest or take a seat in the dream of diversion, the artist and innovators of 1930 generated a broad emotional landscape. From the buoyancy of Gershwin's "I Got Rhythm" to the multifarious "Piano Variations" of Aaron Copland, the Blue Devils offer a modern exploration of one single year. A year that would herald its number one popular song "Happy Days Are Here Again" and produced the future Judy Garland classic "Get Happy".

With the 2009 program "1930", the present and the past convene in a theatrical conversation of passion and exhilaration. Through unique visual and musical composition, the Blue Devils continue to showcase the world's most accomplished young performers as they travel the US offering a distinctive approach to contemporary drum and bugle corps.

Albert Einstein said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science". The year he made this profound statement? 1930.
09BDShow_web_600a.jpg
Looks like my source was correct. :)

I am thinking it is gonna have sort of the same sound that we got from some of the 2002 program, "Jazz, Music made in America"

wgascphotos@cox.net

pittech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by pittech » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:32 am

HereIam wrote:Directly from the Blue Devils Website ...

09BDShow_web_600a.jpg

And once again, all is right in the world.
Calvin D. Carr
Director of Music -Pixley Middle School & Pixley Elementary
http://www.pixley.k12.ca.us